How hard is it to book "dream" trip with renting DVC points?

mickey85

Earning My Ears
If we want 2 studios or 1 2-BR villa at one of the Monorail resorts for a slow time of year (March/April 2017, not Easter!)?

Do we need to reserve 11 months ion advance?

Thanks.

Been to Disney 10+ times in last 10 years but we have never rented DVC points before. But with my in-laws joining our family of 4 (5 y/0 and 2 y/o), we need more space.

Thanks for your help.

The earlier you book, the better your chance of getting it. Monorail resorts fill up pretty quickly. I'd definitely book before the 7 month window opens.

We have booked DVC points for Thanksgiving week at varying times for monorail resorts. At the 11 month mark, I booked VGF the year it opened as I knew the quantities were limited and really wanted to try it out for the first time. This year, we booked Poly standard view studio for Thanksgiving week at the 8 month mark. LV was unavailable. I would book the earliest you can especially if you want two studios.

I am looking at week(s) after all Spring Breaks and 2 weeks before Easter
I just want to point out that since Easter is late next year, there really won't be any April weeks "after" spring break; maybe the very last week of April. Many schools around the country have April breaks regardless of when Easter falls and then others, like ours, always have break the week before Easter. Still many others, including many of the counties North of us, have break the week after Easter.
Bottom line I'd book as soon as you can :)

Not hard at all! I've had great experience through two of the biggest brokers, including booking for the elusive and often-sought VGC at DLR. You will find the pricing can vary depending on (a) resort, (b) time/date, and (c) booking time (11 month home booking versus 7 month). If it is important to you to get that particular resort and it's hard to get or you are worried about the date, shoot for the 11 month mark. I booked AKV and Poly studios without issue for our upcoming trip.

We have stayed at BLT 2 bedroom twice. Each time we booked right at 11 months. The issue is the availability AND the availability of the required number of points needed for a 2 bedroom. We actually had an easier time booking the Spring Break trip (I think you are going to find crowds in your time frame to be honest, spring break is the whole month, not just easter) than we did in September. We had an issue of getting the number of points in April and the availability of the room in September. We ended up getting a lakefront when we just wanted a standard view, which was more points but the only thing available even at 11 months.

I just want to point out that since Easter is late next year, there really won't be any April weeks "after" spring break; maybe the very last week of April. Many schools around the country have April breaks regardless of when Easter falls and then others, like ours, always have break the week before Easter. Still many others, including many of the counties North of us, have break the week after Easter.
Bottom line I'd book as soon as you can :)

And colleges have spring breaks that often are a bit earlier than K-12 schools. Anytime from mid-March to the week after Easter can be someone's spring break. Go the first week of March if you want low crowds is my advice.

We have stayed at BLT 2 bedroom twice. Each time we booked right at 11 months. The issue is the availability AND the availability of the required number of points needed for a 2 bedroom. We actually had an easier time booking the Spring Break trip (I think you are going to find crowds in your time frame to be honest, spring break is the whole month, not just easter) than we did in September. We had an issue of getting the number of points in April and the availability of the room in September. We ended up getting a lakefront when we just wanted a standard view, which was more points but the only thing available even at 11 months.

We had the same experience, but did a little better with the timing: We just did a 2BR BLT LV stay in the first week of March. We booked just inside the 7 month mark (like, 6 months and 3.5 weeks in advance) - originally wanted a 2BR standard view, had to "settle" (pay more) for a LV instead. It did have to be booked as a split stay because the points were coming from two different contracts and there was a chance we'd have to check out and check back in to a different room, but they were able to confirm at check in that we could stay in the same room the whole time. It ended up being a terrific stay, would totally do it again.

FYI in case you aren't aware, every time we've rented points, we had to pay the full amount due at the time of booking (once our room was confirmed).

Our spring break is the first week of March every year. In my experience ALL of March and Aoril the parks are very crowded. We have had smaller crowds in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter