• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Frequent Are Cancellations?

SusieQ79

Mouseketeer
Hey all!

We are DVC members staying at Bay Lake 1/31 - 2/6.

We just bought an RV and were hoping to come and hang at the Fort a few days early, but it looks booked solid.

Just curious, but are cancellations frequent? Wonder if it's worth the time to keep checking back or not.

Thanks. :D

They definitely do happen. Persistence pays off. Keep trying. pixiedust:

We are going to the Fort in November, and looking to add dates on to our reservation. They have been freeing up, so try often as stated.

Suzie,

I checked day-by-day back for a few nights and it's that Saturday night Jan 30 that is not available. The Friday and Thursday before that show availability.

Cancellations do happen so you might want to get the dates that are available now and then keep trying to add on that Saturday. You can cancel without penalty a few days before arrival (I think it's still 5 days but best to confirm).

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you so much Ed, that's hugely helpful. It's our first stay at the Fort, so I'm still getting the hang of the ins and outs on snagging a good booking. :)

Cancellations do happen you just have to keep checking. We typically check a couple times a day/week when we want to book a last minute trip. You have 5 days to cancel if you can't make the full trip you planned.

Yes, they happen all the time. I checked basically all day long on Friday and got reservations for two weeks from now. I had to string a couple days together so you might have to check weird dates, but keep on checking and I bet you'll find what you want.

It's been a while for us but if I remember. If you choose 4 days and just one of the days is not available, it will reject the whole reservation. Always go back and try one day at a time.
Also seems with a 5 day cancellation time, the closer you get the better your chances are. If someone is in doubt they'll wait til the last day before cancelling.

1) Cancellations do happen at The Fort.
2) But, are far fewer than other resorts.
3) Campers tend to plan more carefully, and seldom change their plans.
. . . most take great pains to schedule when other things will not interfere with camping
. . . last minute money issues (typically) do not get in the way, as most RVer's are somewhat well-healed
. . . camping, to many, seems to be more fun than "just a WDW vacation" and folks are loath to miss it
4) So, if waiting for an opening,
. . . check 2-3 times per day and hope someone has to change plans.
. . . try to avoid night near holiday periods (eg. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years, President's Day)

We have our site reservation (full hook-up), but are hoping to change and upgrade to preferred or premium. Do you think the upgrade is worth it and if so, possible? We'll be in a 35' TT (rental) with 2 or 3 slide outs and outdoor kitchen. This is our first trip to The Fort. Our dates are 2/10-2/18/16.

Cancellations do happen. My last trip was during a holiday period and I wanted to stay 9 days. I started with a 4 day reservation in the middle of the week because that was all that was available. I kept searching and adding a day at a time until I was able to book the whole trip. I got the last day less than a week before I left.

According to wdwinfo there are 788 campsites. If 5% of the people cancel, then that frees up 39 campsites on any given day. You probably aren't the only one searching, but spots can be found. The only kicker is getting a site of the same type for the whole stay so you don't have to move sites.

According to wdwinfo there are 788 campsites
1) Fort Wilderness currently offers 409 Wilderness Cabins (in 8 cabin loops):
2) There are 799 campsites (about 85% are Preferred):
. . . Partial Hook-up: 90 sites
. . . Full Hook-up: 156 sites
. . . Preferred: 123 sites
. . . Premium: 430 sites

I would love it! How long is your reservation for??

shoot messed that up. it would have been for one night. I THOUGHT i had one more day that i needed on the reservation, but looking at myexperience again, they show me checking out on that day. i am sorry.

shoot messed that up. it would have been for one night. I THOUGHT i had one more day that i needed on the reservation, but looking at myexperience again, they show me checking out on that day. i am sorry.
No worries! I'll keep poking and keep fingers crossed that something opens up. Not a big deal if it doesn't. We're renting a TT with 2 slide outs, but have been told that we'll fit on a full hook up site, it will just be "snug". Enjoy your trip!!

I'm also thinking the Fort is becoming popular with the knowledge of the "throwaway" campsite (really! so aggravating!) I was trying to book a trip (I"m a real RV owner!) and several dates I tried were full! I'm really surprised. I'm sure the non-campers who are using the Fort to get onsite perks are fouling up the system. I really hope Disney closes up this loop-hole. (canceling their FP+ when they cancel the campsite 5 days out!) A pox upon those who book fake campsites!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter