How far would you drive?

grace&philipsmom

DIS Veteran
I was considering driving with my kids next summer to WDW. It is 2615 miles (each way). Not to mention part of it is a ferry ride. We have 3 weeks so I thought it might be fun to drive - with overnight motel stops along the way. My kids would be 8 and 4.5 - I would be the only adult. I thought it could be a great chance before the youngest starts school. Would you do it?

I personally would not do it, especially if I was the only adult.

My concerns would be what would happen if I (as the only adult) got sick several hundred miles into the trip, but nowhere near home, and nowhere near Disney.

In addition to that, I'd be concerned about what would happen if my car broke down.

Other concerns would involve what would happen if my DD got sick (again, several hundred miles into the trip). (FWIW, for our upcoming trip, I already gathered information on the children's hospitals near Disney World for "just in case."). If driving, I'd need to gather information about children's hospitals on the entire route between home and Disney World.

Not saying that any of these should be your concerns, but your question asked "would you do it?" and I wanted to say why I wouldn't.

I would for sure. But I'd camp as much as could. Only cause I like camping.

See some things along the way. Train Museum. National Parks, just a few short driving days and mostly touring days. Do somthing irregular after a long day like play mini golf or see a movie.

Sure, I have driven ALONE with just my 2 boys now from Arizona to East Coast and back now for about 8 summers..They are now 13,14 but I started this when the were about 4,5. We tend to do over 7000 miles in the summer.
I am actually bummed that this year we will have to fly the majority of it since this year school starts back so early we only have a month.. But, I guess I'm still doing a fair amount of driving.. Flying Phoenix to Birmingham. Driving to Atlanta, up through South Carolina, to Williamsburg Va, 10 days at Outer Banks, driving down to WDW- 9 days there , then back to Birmingham to fly home...
I love the easy packing of driving, stopping whenever something catches your eye, stopping when tired, visiting friends along the way, spend a few more hours somewhere if decided, your own comfy car that you know everything about etc..

Personally, no. But I detest road trips! Had very bad experiences on them as a child. My father was one of those drivers who wanted to cover xxx miles per day (only driver), so we never stopped anywhere, except to sleep!

But if you think you can handle it solo and your young ones would behave and enjoy it, go for it! Even if the trip isn't absolutely perfect, you would have incredible memories!

And a better idea if you want to repeat the experience in the future! :)

I could do it but a few things I would need to be factored in.

How good is the car? I think if I was going that far, I would rent a car so if it broke down, someone would come get me with a new car.

How much time do you have for vacation? With that kind of distance I would like to see some of the stuff I was driving past. I would say if I didn't have 3 weeks to devote, I probably wouldn't go. This year we are driving and it is roughly 1300 miles each way for me. I'm taking 2 weeks.

Do the kids have things to entertain them? We drive between NY and NC alot and Redbox has become our friend.

Have the kids ever done any long trips? If they haven't done any 1+ days driving before, I would hate to make this kind of journey the first time. My girls have been doing long distance travel (not the kind your talking about) their whole life. But I have cousins who are a nightmare in the car just after 3 hours.

I'm sure you know what you and your family are capable of. If you think YOU can do it, then you can.:thumbsup2

Sure, I have driven ALONE with just my 2 boys now from Arizona to East Coast and back now for about 8 summers..They are now 13,14 but I started this when the were about 4,5. We tend to do over 7000 miles in the summer.
I am actually bummed that this year we will have to fly the majority of it since this year school starts back so early we only have a month.. But, I guess I'm still doing a fair amount of driving.. Flying Phoenix to Birmingham. Driving to Atlanta, up through South Carolina, to Williamsburg Va, 10 days at Outer Banks, driving down to WDW- 9 days there , then back to Birmingham to fly home...
I love the easy packing of driving, stopping whenever something catches your eye, stopping when tired, visiting friends along the way, spend a few more hours somewhere if decided, your own comfy car that you know everything about etc..

This is kind of what I was thinking. It is good to see that someone has done it before and survived :) Thanks!

I could do it but a few things I would need to be factored in.

How good is the car? I think if I was going that far, I would rent a car so if it broke down, someone would come get me with a new car.

How much time do you have for vacation? With that kind of distance I would like to see some of the stuff I was driving past. I would say if I didn't have 3 weeks to devote, I probably wouldn't go. This year we are driving and it is roughly 1300 miles each way for me. I'm taking 2 weeks.

Do the kids have things to entertain them? We drive between NY and NC alot and Redbox has become our friend.

Have the kids ever done any long trips? If they haven't done any 1+ days driving before, I would hate to make this kind of journey the first time. My girls have been doing long distance travel (not the kind your talking about) their whole life. But I have cousins who are a nightmare in the car just after 3 hours.

I'm sure you know what you and your family are capable of. If you think YOU can do it, then you can.:thumbsup2

My car is reliable - but a V8 so a gas guzzler! We would have 3 weeks maybe even 4.

Can I ask what a Redbox is?

If I had that kind of time, I would do it.

RedBox is a national chain of video rental kiosks. They are like vending machines. It only cost a dollar to rent a video and you can return your video to any RedBox.

So If I leave out of Albany, NY I would rent like 5 videos and when we make it to our destination, I deposit them in a local machine anywhere in the US. And then we will do the same thing on our way back home.

I read the OP to my DH and he said "How long will 4.5 year old ride in a car before asking 'are we there yet?"" Personally, I would fly and spend the time at WDW if I had that much vacation time. With kids that young, I wouldn't consider such a long trip by car.

I plan on doing the drive in a few more years. Just too busy these days. But I cannot wait. My drive will be 2780 miles (that's almost the same as your distance. lol).

I would expect to take a week to do it. Bing reports 48 hours to do the drive, but I don't think it's calculating the ferry time right.

So, with a week's drive each way, I figure I'd need 4 weeks.

I would definitely do it. But as a previous poster stated, would pull a camper.

One suggestion, even if camping is not your style. Try staying at a few campgrounds along the way in cabins. Gives the kids more burning off steam room versus a hotel. Often less expensive too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter