• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far, really?

va32h

DIS Veteran
Just how far is it from the FW entrance all the way back to the boat dock. We are trying to decide whether we want to rent a golf cart. The kids will have bikes, and we adults are fairly fit. Is it miles and miles, or just a good long walk?

I think the FW map says it's a mile as the birds fly. Someone correct me if I don't remember this correctly. So, it would be more than a mile if you factor in the road curves.

From what I can remember - it's a LONG walk! We stayed at a site about the middle of the resort - real close to one of the general stores & pool. I think we only walked to the boat dock once (we were all in our 20's back then).

However, there are buses that run through the park (Chip & Dale?) that pick up at various locations and can take you there.

Not much more than a mile but as the previosu poster said you can catch a bus about every couple of hundred yards to get from one end to the other. IF you like to walk it will be no problem for you.

There are now three internal bus routes-----the walk is just over a mile--we walk it all the time-----also the side walk is next to the bus route --so you can hop a bus if you get tired or it looks like rain

Paul

Walking is a great way to soak up even more of the atmosphere, which you miss on the bus!

We walked, but found the buses better when on a time schedule. If you got time to kill, enjoy the walk. If you want to take advantage of the refillable mug, get a golf cart. I say that because....I waited one morning for 15 minutes on a bus. I just wanted coffee for our mugs. I bought the things so I was going to get my money out of it. I saw several carts pass by while I waited. I made my own coffee for the rest of the trip. Next time!!! Golf Cart!!!!!

After a long day walking all around MK, the last thing I want to do is walk back from the boat dock to my camper. Unless you are in one of the preferred sites that are located near the marina, it can be a long walk. I would suggest purchasing additional bikes for the adults since the kids will have their bikes. I love riding my bike around FW and believe me I'm no spring chicken. :goodvibes

I also think it is about 1 mile. We usually stay in the 1500 loop which is near the Meadowland Recreation area (1/2 way) ... so it is only about 1/2 mile to either the front or back. We usually just walk because sometimes you can wait for a bus longer than it takes to walk. Not that I'm complaining about the bus service, because I do think it is good ... its just we walk for exercise and find we just prefer to set our own schedule. Most times we can be where we want to go and not even see a bus go by so this just reinforces our decision to walk.

Thanks, everyone. I think we can do a mile or so. The kids and I often walk to or from school which is 4/5 of a mile (uphill, in the snow, barefoot ;) )

We just have a regular full-hookup site reserved, and haven't decided what loop to request yet.

va32h said:
Thanks, everyone. I think we can do a mile or so. The kids and I often walk to or from school which is 4/5 of a mile (uphill, in the snow, barefoot ;) )

We just have a regular full-hookup site reserved, and haven't decided what loop to request yet.

I guess life today must be easier. When my father was young he had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways:).

I find that staying at FW makes me feel so young that I do far more walking than I normally do. Many times after coming back from a park with my sleeping 3yo DGS, I would walk or jog back to our site, which was usually in the 900 to 1300 loops. I would have the little guy in a stroller. Just got tired of waiting for the bus and the interesting part is that I most often made it bake to our loop before the bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter