How far out do you purchase your air?

mershell

Mouseketeer
Has anyone booked it through DCL? I know they are set at a specific price, but wonder if there's an advantage to booking through them. Is the air added to your cruise price, or do you pay up front for the air portion? There are theories that booking too early isn't wise, as prices are higher, but then flights could sell out. What is everyone's take?

Has anyone booked it through DCL? I know they are set at a specific price, but wonder if there's an advantage to booking through them. Is the air added to your cruise price, or do you pay up front for the air portion? There are theories that booking too early isn't wise, as prices are higher, but then flights could sell out. What is everyone's take?

I just booked mine and it was earlier than I probably should have, but we are doing a multi flight & I was more concerned about the schedule than the price and it was within my budget.

We usually buy our own airfare because we are flying in from Canada and have fewer airlines to chose from. We buy as early as possible. In our experience cruiseline-booked air fare frequently puts you on flights that are inconvenient, or have itineraries you would not select for yourself.

My understanding is DCL is going to book you a refundable fare, which is higher than non-refundable and if you are w/in a day's flight, they will put you on flights the same day the cruise leaves. I think you're better booking on your own.

You don't say where you are coming from, but for us, we fly out of Atlanta so we book a few months out. Southwest usually has good specials.

I'm in Los Angeles. I did alot of reading up and "experts" suggested the best time, fare wise, was about a month and a half out, so I had planned on getting my air in early Oct. for my December 14 sailing. However, just as a curiosity, a week ago I looked up the flight I want and the return was suddenly unavailable, today I looked and it's available but at an insanely high price. I know the airlines play games with seats and prices, but this had me thinking that perhaps those "expert" rules don't apply when booking to Orlando around Xmas time. And now I'm thinking I'd best forget trying to get the cheapest flight and get my air as soon as it drops back down to my budget range. Sounds like that's what everyone does. So much for "experts".

I'm in Los Angeles. I did alot of reading up and "experts" suggested the best time, fare wise, was about a month and a half out, so I had planned on getting my air in early Oct. for my December 14 sailing. However, just as a curiosity, a week ago I looked up the flight I want and the return was suddenly unavailable, today I looked and it's available but at an insanely high price. I know the airlines play games with seats and prices, but this had me thinking that perhaps those "expert" rules don't apply when booking to Orlando around Xmas time. And now I'm thinking I'd best forget trying to get the cheapest flight and get my air as soon as it drops back down to my budget range. Sounds like that's what everyone does. So much for "experts".

I am a corporate air broker and my opinion is that all those tricks and tips go out the window from mid November to mid January. Book as early as possible if you need to fly during those times.

I always do my own air because I like to have control over my own segments. If I miss a flight, I can rebook my flight without waiting in line at the ticket counter for an agent to try to find open seats. I also book my own air because I usually get upgraded or have comp segments to use.

Im booking mine soon for an October sailing. But we're flying in a few days early and spending 4 days at Walt Disney World first. However, I need a red eye from SkyHarbor to fit around some meetings at work. (I have a meeting at 3pm the afternoon we leave, and then another at 9am ET the next day) So while I can do them from my computer, I have to fit my flights in between those hours.

But I've heard 6 weeks is ideal. Unless flying peak season which is mid Nov- Januaryish.

Ok, thanks all. Time to rework all my plans. Will book air as soon as I can manage.

As soon as I know I'm going and the airfare is out. Then I put the flight(s) on yapta to keep track of any drops significant enough to get credit for. Depending on when you're going, waiting isn't always better. Example: I knew my flight down would go up crazy fast because it's President's Week (coming back I booked slightly later because worst-case I could get a hotel for a extra night.), so I booked the day JetBlue released that schedule (and pretty much right at noon when they did). As of right now, that price is up like 150% over what I paid.

AS SOON AS it becomes available. We need Miami, and unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly there. We've gotten excellent round trip pricing on Southwest before on just-released seats, and they don't charge any bag fees for the first 2 bags. We'll just have to find a different airline this time around.

AS SOON AS it becomes available. We need Miami, and unfortunately, Southwest doesn't fly there. We've gotten excellent round trip pricing on Southwest before on just-released seats, and they don't charge any bag fees for the first 2 bags. We'll just have to find a different airline this time around.

Flying Southwest to Ft Luderdale is just about as close as Miami. We had a Cruise that left Miami and flew SW to Ft Lauderdale, rented a car, drove to Miami, stayed in a hotel which had a shuttel to the Port of Miami, and saved $400.00 over flying to Miami. I would do it again to save $400.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter