• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far in advance?

allgrownup

Mouseketeer
So all you out of state Disney lovers :) How far in advance to you start planning? Dreaming is stage one, of course. Saving is important..........but the actual planning, searching and researching?

Curious to what others do.

As soon as I think I might be going, I book the hotel. Prices only (mostly) go up. But firm plans, like ADRs, etc about one month before.

Same as above 9-12 months. I book airfares first, then hotels right away, and the rest I take my time about.

I start watching airfares and hotel prices as soon as I know definite dates, but probably not more than 6 months in advance. Since you can't make dining reservations until 60 days out, that's when I do them. Although you definitely do not need to do it that early. I told myself I wasn't going to start checking this board until I was a couple months out because once I do I can't help but check it twice a day ... but as you can see that didn't happen! A couple of weeks before we leave I'll start watching the DL app for wait times and planning a tentative strategy for the days we're in the parks.

We start planning about 6-9 months ahead. We fly Southwest, so we book as soon as our dates are available, usually 6 months out. After booking Hotel and airfare, I'm reading this board everyday until we leave!

We start about 3 to 4 mos in advance, which is often not enough! We often cant get the flights we want (or to be able to sit together) and sometimes cant get the hotel we want.

9-12 months out. Most hotels do not have their dates posted that early but some do - and that is when they are at their lowest. A lot of them have very generous cancellation policies so I book a couple of dates until I can book flights. For our upcoming trip in I made a reservation for April and one for May back in June, once SW released their dates we figured May would work best for us and I cancelled the April one.

Everything else can wait until closer but I keep an eye out for car rentals. Have had good luck booking pretty last minute but sometimes coupons come out months in advance that are worth it to book - and car rental co's also have good cancellation policies.

For park tickets I buy before there is a price hike (usually in Feb).

Constantly! I listen to the podcast while at work, and love to just plug in dates to see what's out there. When we actually went, I booked it a year out and started planning meals, ect almost immediately.

Flights usually 6 months out, that is always first. Hotels next, like to get those locked in. BBB pretty much first day we can book, same with any must do dining.

Otherwise I'm pretty much researching and learning all the time

dreaming takes place about 16months . A year in advance I really start planning. Airline first then hotel because the date open up later.

Don't really do too much "planning" anymore. But I start the processes as soon as I plan to go.

I will book a cancellable hotel as soon as I even THINK I might be going.
We drive, so no airfare to worry about.
Park Passes are bought the day before we leave.
Any table service that I may want are booked a month or so in advance.

My next trip is unknown as of now.

9-12 months out for flights and accommodation, tickets soon after... Scouring forums from the moment it is all booked onwards... The planning is a massive part of any holiday for me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter