How far in advance for Secret Porthole room?

treloarf

DIS Veteran
Now since the secret is out, how far in advance should you book the secret porthole room? We are using DVC points, can only book 11 months out. We stayed there 4 years ago & loved it.

Well, depends on the time of year and the ship, but since there are only six of these rooms on each sailing they do book up quickly. Book just as soon as you are able to.

Good luck! :)

I'm on the Wonder Nov. 2 in a secret porthole room. I had booked a Cat 12 at the beginning of April and decided to upgrade to a Cat 10 on April 14. My travel agent saw an opening and took it.

Treloaf,

Have you thought about booking a SPR with cash, then transferring it over to a DVC point reservation? That way you can book more than 11 months out.

P.S. I have a SPR booked for December. I made the reservation in April, so it is possible to get a SPR without booking way in advance.
:)

When I first booked Dec 01 for our Nov 02 cruise the SPRs were not available. This was at the 11mo countdown using DVC points (for the 1st time ever). Sometime over summer 02 a DISer noticed one had opened up so I called the following morn and got us changed.

"Things happened" and now we are booked in a verandah. Hopefully someday we will have our Eastern cruise in a SPR
good luck - keep checking

:) My Aunt and I decided to book our cruise for October 26 back in Jan 03. Amazing enough when I looked on Yahoo travel both of the single secret porthole rooms where open!!!:bounce: We could not believe it! I told her this is a sign that we need to book this cruise NOW!!;)

So we did and I am so excited to be in room 5020!

My Aunt got Doc's yesterday and I am anxiously awaiting mine!:p

Good luck! I always check Yahoo and see if the rooms are available and then call my T.A and request it ASAP.

If you want to see them you can look on www.castawayclub.com

They are 6 rooms on deck 5 that are a Cat 10 which is normally an deluxe inside stateroom,but..............These rooms actually have port holes with an obstructed view.;) ;) ;)

So you actually get a view and sunlight and pay an inside price.

We have room 5020 and the view is hardly obstructed at all!

I am excited!:Pinkbounc

I'm all for a cheaper room with a view, especially after paying for a category 4 veranda cruise in October. Thanks for the website.:D

I hate to sound stupid, but what is a SPR. How does it work with transferring a reservation over to points. I would be using points for 2 adults & paying cash for the kids anyway. BTW, the kids price for value season thru DVC is $455 - does that sound decent?

Originally posted by BABYJOSIE98
If you want to see them you can look on www.castawayclub.com

They are 6 rooms on deck 5 that are a Cat 10 which is normally an deluxe inside stateroom,but..............These rooms actually have port holes with an obstructed view.;) ;) ;)

So you actually get a view and sunlight and pay an inside price.

We have room 5020 and the view is hardly obstructed at all!

I am excited!:Pinkbounc

This is what a secret porthole room is. Click on the website, there are some really good pictures there. As far as the points, I'm not sure how that works.:Pinkbounc

Being a compulsive planner, I typically book the SPRs a year in advance (I've had all our reservations for our 2004 cruises for quite some time now). Holidays are the most difficult date to get them, especially if you're fussy like me (I'll only take 5020 or 5520 because I don't like the connectors).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com
Fight apathy...or don't!

Brb...Did you ever do the SPR for a 7 night cruise on the Magic?

Thanks
Joanna

Don't all of the SPR's only sleep three? Or am I getting them confused with the Navigator Veranda rooms?

I thought SPR was a sort of special - can you really book w/cash & then trafser over to DVC points? How does that work?

Hi treloarf,

Here's the thread discussing how you can convert a cash reservation to DVC points:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327407

I hope it helps!

P.S. Secret Porthole Rooms are not necessarily "special" in the sense that they cost more money or they can only be booked by certain people; they are "special" because you get a porthole room for the price of an inside room. Let us know how everything works out for you!

My DH and I booked in mid August for the 10/26/03 cruise and we were going for the category 11, but our TA said we could get a cat 10 for only $10.00 more as a Florida resident rate. We went for it and after the TA mentioned to DCL that it was our 5th anniversary we got a secret porthole room. We have room 5024 I believe and we are very excited. We cruised DCL once before and the only thing we did not like was not knowing whether it was morning when we woke up.

:p My DD and I were in a Cat 11 on our 4 day cruise last year and it was just fine for us,but I did not like not knowing when morning was here.

You sure sleep good......We were not in the room much anyway,but I think that I am going to enjoy the window.

If I ever sail on the Magic I know I would want a window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter