How far in advance do you start packing?

Andona

Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar
Just wondering what the ANZAC Disers do?

Do you start packing a week or more in advance or are you a last-minute-packer??

Our flight leaves next week. I'd normally start packing two days beforehand, but I'm thinking it might be better to start a bit earlier because it ALWAYS takes longer than I think it's going to! :scared1:

( I pack for ALL of us )

Any suggestions gratefully received :goodvibes

Andona

last year, we oh so hilariously :scared1::scared1::scared1: waited until the day before we left to start packing. i had been creating lists and piles of stuff around the house to take, but we didn't open suitcases and actually assemble all the piles until the last day.

and then i had washing and ironing and folding up to do, and then we had visitors and it was around 11pm ish that we started packing. then we unpacked, removed 1/2 of it and repacked, and then reorganised the packing, and from memory and a quick glance back at my TR it was around 2.30am before we got to bed, and our alarm was for 5am.

so... i would not recommend leaving packing to the last day ... unless you want to take clothes that are in the laundry etc, and then i would recommend packing in the morning the day before... :thumbsup2

our next trip i anticipate that i will be packed at least the day before we go.

i am paranoid about packing too early, thinking i have everything, and then realising at the last minute that i forgot something vital :(

i say go with what works for you and your stress levels. ;)

I will be packing the night before we leave. I don't have enough clothes to pack and then for day to day wearing :rotfl:

I have the suitcases out on the spare bed so I have made a little start :lmao:

I have started already, in fact, am very nearly done for all of us.
I only do mine and DS's though, DH does his own.
All I need to throw in is underwear, I am pretty organised this time around (very unusual) have travel size packs of everything, am sick of overpacking, and always buy heaps over there :thumbsup2

So, I guess I started about a week and a half before we go.

I do the serious putting everything in the suitcases the day before. Although I've had a list done for ages, and have started putting random items in a box in my room as I buy/find them.

My 8 year old has already packed her suitcase and carry on bag 2 weeks ago, so a month ahead.

We are leaving Oct 13th and I am already "gathering", it's what I do. The bags will appear in the extra bedroom about a week before we leave and I will start deciding what to take. I put everything I think I'll need in the bags and will continue to "take stock" every night until I've gotten it down to the actual pack. It's amazing how many things you think you might need and then reality sets in and you realize only half of what you originally "packed" is actually going with you.
The other thing we do is laundry. I know to some it is crazy but I am up early and the laundry rooms are usually 24 hrs or at least early to late hrs so while my DH sleeps in (til 6:30 maybe)I go put the laundry in, grab a coffee when CS at the resort opens and read the paper. By 7:30 I'm done, dressed and ready for breakfast before heading out. I also bring my own laundry stuff, its a lot cheaper and its the kind I like.

Hmmmm, weeks beforehand for me :rotfl2:. Obviously there is much that can't be packed until the day before but I'm usually adding things for 2-3 weeks beforehand - cause I'm mental. :rotfl:

Lots of different approaches I see! :)
Definitely think I'll drag the bags out and start a bit sooner this time, I have a long list and have been buying bits and pieces for ages but I just KNOW that there's going to be something that I have to go out and get at the last minute. :rotfl:

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Hmmmm, weeks beforehand for me :rotfl2:. Obviously there is much that can't be packed until the day before but I'm usually adding things for 2-3 weeks beforehand - cause I'm mental. :rotfl:

Me too.
In our sleep out I have a chest of drawers that are permanently dedicated to trip stuff. So i just chuck things in there progressively. Then shift out to the suitcases a month or so beforehand!

A few weeks before the trip, I get the suitcases out and line them up along the wall of our hallway outside our bedrooms. Then, I just drop stuff in as I think of it plus, if I'm going past with a basket of fresh washing and have any articles of clothing that I want to take out of circulation in preparation for the trip, I just drop them in. A few days closer to the trip I pack properly. :thumbsup2

I love packing!! We leave in 12 weeks and I've already started placing a few things in a suitcase. I am usually all packed at least a week or two out.

I was going to do it the weekend before we left, but we are going away now, so this weekend I'm going to do a practice pack, that way I can see what we have and what we need. I did lists AGES ago though! Luckily we won't need to wear anything we take as it's still freezing here!

started last weekend
still adding
will pack properly Sunday night for a Thursday departure...just have to finish ironing shorts...

i dont want a repeat of a few years ago, left it to the night before and took 1000% too much...

so i'll cull again before sunday......:upsidedow

:offtopic: dollar is sad

Travel Mum said:
A few weeks before the trip, I get the suitcases out and line them up along the wall of our hallway outside our bedrooms. Then, I just drop stuff in as I think of it plus, if I'm going past with a basket of fresh washing and have any articles of clothing that I want to take out of circulation in preparation for the trip, I just drop them in. A few days closer to the trip I pack properly. :thumbsup2

Definitely inspired to start earlier this time. I particularly like Travelmums idea of taking clothes out of circulation. I usually have a huge washing /ironing session in the last few days , makes more sense to think ahead. I'm starting tomorrow! :)

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I have already started some zip lock bags of colouring in books/crayons/small toys for the girls for the plane. And I have bought some new clothes for the girls (some Disney tops, pjs etc I have picked up in sales) so they are all in the suitcase so the girls don't see them.

So I am technically started and still 2 months out! From now on each time I do the grocery shopping I will add something trip related to the cart (tissues, band aids, sunscreen etc) which I will also throw in the suitcase..

Won't pack for myself till a week before though:)

And I have bought some new clothes for the girls (some Disney tops, pjs etc I have picked up in sales)

That reminds me I bought a few Disney things for DD - better go hunt them out.

We are 8 months out and I have already started buying stuff like new swimmers and things for the kids on the plane that are in my carry on. I will be seriously packing about one month out and that way I can cull what I really don't need and have time to think about it all. I am always an over-organised person!

our trip is next september, and i have pre-bought:

in park messenger bag
travel wallet
pins for trading
disney tshirts
lanyards for in park use
travel packs (toiletry bag & small bottles)
zip lock bags
new adaptors
new luggage tags
new tsa locks
new sandals

not sure if this counts as packing, as it all gets stored on a shelf in my hall closet until close to our departure date, when i haul it all out and 'rediscover' it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter