How extreme is Space Mountain?!

What about Exploration Everest? Does it have a pretty big drop? This is the ine coaster that i'm actually interested in. :)

Are there pretty steep drops? Funny enough, i'm ok with log/water rides with drops because there's only typically one major one per ride. Roller coasters on the other hand? Scaryyyyy.

Now having said that, i'm also teying to muster the courage to ride ToT during this trip too. Which one of those two rides would you say is more extreme?

Some people might have an issue with the falling sensation on ToT which might make it worse for them but in my opinion Space Mountain is more extreme than ToT,these two are in my top three or four for sure at Disney with ToT being my overall favorite ride.One thing to keep in mind though is when I say SM is more extreme than ToT these are both pretty mild rides when compared to coasters and rides at other parks.If a Top Thrill Dragster coaster at Cedar Point is a 10 on the extreme factor scale both ToT and SM are in the 3-5 range,fun enough to get a kick but mild enough to ride 10 times in a row which I would if the lines are small enough.

What about Exploration Everest? Does it have a pretty big drop? This is the ine coaster that i'm actually interested in. :)

Hi there!

I think you may mean "Expedition Everest." The one at Animal Kingdom.

There is a sizable drop in that one (I think it's in the 80 foot range - someone please correct me if I am wrong) and I think it is a little scary. However, I am probably the biggest ride scaredy-cat to ever live, so others would probably tell you it's not bad. I did ride it twice though, if that says something. I just tell myself that the drop lasts about 3 seconds...I can handle just about anything for 3 seconds.

When it comes to Space Mountain, I do not find that ride scary, but it is pretty rough and jerks you around a lot. If you're not bothered by motion sickness, you should be fine. It really is a tame ride. There are NO big drops...just a couple of small ones. It's really just a lot of hairpin turns in the dark.

Hope this helps!!!

I only get the stomach in my throat feeling on 2 of the drops on Space Mountain and it is just the beginning of the feeling. I like that it's in the dark, because I don't know when the drops are coming. For some reason, that helps. I think the anticipation for me is the worst part. It took me several trips to ride this coaster and now it's one of my favorites:goodvibes

I love Space Mountain, though it's a little rough. My fave is Rock-nRoller Coaster for sure. Anyways, as with all thrill rides, I alternate between giggling hysterically and screaming. My husband gets almost as much entertainment from listening to me on a ride as he gets from the ride itself. :lmao:

Does anyone else duck down on Space Mountain?! I guess because I can't see, I always scrunch down low. Ever since I first rode it, I've always felt like I need to make sure I dont hit my head. And I'm of average height. I don't know what about it has always made me feel that way. The Unseen. I'm a goofball, I know :)

I am planning to go on Space Mountain when I'm there at the end of the year. It is a bit odd really because I have an 'avoid Space Mountain at all costs' mentality and that is hard to shift. This is mainly because Disneyland Paris's Space Mountain is completely different and not a 'gentle' coaster. It inverts you!!!!! Space Mountain is always associated with speed and inversions for me so it's going to take a little time to realise that it's slower and more mild than I am used to.

Everest's drop isn't that bad at all since it kind of goes into a curve. The only intense part of that ride is when you go backwards in the dark. It kind of gives you the feeling of going upside down.

I'm a huge whimp... was so scared to ride Space Mountain... did it and was surprised - I actually liked it and really isn't bad AT ALL!

go to youtube and search Space Mountain lights on - really, seems more it goes around and up and down here and there - but there are no large drops that you typically think with a rollercoaster. Really, I found it to be very tame. It's a bumpy ride, that's about it!

I loved Space Mountain so did my brother, but my dad and my DBF found it too rough and hurt their backs.

My daughter, at 5 years old rode it. She's a tiny thing too. She barely made the 44" with shoes and barely 40lbs. However, she did decide she didn't like it 3/4 of the way through and started crying. I told her to hang in there. She finished the ride with tears going down her face and her face red. I told her she could stay with me while my oldest child did rider swap with daddy. (He's 8 and wanted to do it again). She then told me that she wanted to do it again! That she liked it now that she knew to expect that bumpy part! Think about how much a 40lb child might bump around in their seat. I figure if my daughter could handle it, then most people could handle it as long as they didn't have fears of the dark. It is a bumpy ride, so expect that.

ToT is a very different ride. I think SM is okay, but absolutely love ToT. I hate the normal drop towers, so me loving ToT is saying something! My daughter did ToT at 3.5 years old, and barely 40", to the extent that she wasn't 40" with shoes at all the rides all day. At that time, she was all of 30lbs. Her little behind went way, way, way up off the seat, more than mine by far. That understandably freaked her out. So she did not do it again. My oldest was 6.5 on that trip and wasn't sure if he liked it or didn't, but was willing to do the ride a second time with his father with rider swap. I do think it scared him a little though. On our last trip, neither of the kids wanted to do ToT. They did both do SM, more than once. (Actually, my oldest did SM over and over on the trip when he was 6.5. He loves it but there's also a bit more to him than my petite daughter so the shaking likely wasn't quite as severe).

EE does have a big drop. It is definitely more of a coaster than SM, but the ride is smoother. It is really fun!!! My 7yo daughter loved BTMRR, but this one was a little much for her. She didn't want to ride a second time with riderswap.

Tower of Terror of course is nothing but drops, but it is soooooo fun.

I think Space Mountain is a tad extreme on my middle-aged back. Other than that it is not extreme. I'm thinking I'll skip it this time, which is sad because I really enjoy Space Mountain.

When we visited DL last summer I noticed that Space had a different ride system that was much nicer and more comfortable

I think it's scarier for adults. I'm pretty tall so I felt very vulnerable in that tiny spaceship. Children tend to feel safer because they are small and enclosed. Most adults will feel a little exposed on this ride. That part scared me more than anything. The ride itself is fun and it's not intense. The intense part for me was feeling like I was going to fall out. Rest assured that you WON'T fall out... it just feels like it sometimes :)

I'm planning to go on it again when I go. It's a good time.

My 5-year-old rode it, and I know I was more scared than he was. He sat in the very front seat and I rode behind him with my arms over his seat holding his shoulders. It was his first roller coaster ride. On the ride photo, his eyes were as big as saucers, and because I was so scared for him, the ride seemed to take forever to end. It did seem to jerk him all over the place. I remember being concerned about his neck. But, when it was over, I asked him how it was. He said ... AWESOME! I asked if he wanted to go again. He said no! :)

OP -- From one ride scaredy cat to another, give SM a try. I didn't believe DBF that there were no drops on SM, but I finally saw one of the "lights on" videos and realized he wasn't lying about the drops. So I gave it a shot and LOVED it. I even got up the courage to try R-n-R on the next trip. I'm trying to gather the courage to try Everest, but that isn't going so well. The backwards part scares me! :scared1:

OP -- From one ride scaredy cat to another, give SM a try. I didn't believe DBF that there were no drops on SM, but I finally saw one of the "lights on" videos and realized he wasn't lying about the drops. So I gave it a shot and LOVED it. I even got up the courage to try R-n-R on the next trip. I'm trying to gather the courage to try Everest, but that isn't going so well. The backwards part scares me! :scared1:

Agreed. There are no drops on Space Mountain. I don't recommend it for people who are afraid of the dark and hate being thrashed around. Otherwise, this ride is for everyone!

MissyRose- I hope you go on Everest next time!! It's one of the best rides. The backwards part is not scary. It's rather fun!!!!! :)

I felt like I was going to hit my head on something the whole time...so did the rest of my family. Not sure why...maybe because its dark???
It's kinda jerky...not my favorite.

There are no drops on Space Mountain.
I would not say that is true. There is no traditional first hill coaster "drop" on SM, but mid-way through both tracks there is a moderate drop of a couple/three stories that's enough to make my back go "Ouch!".

Its definitely an easy breezy coaster in my opinion. I went on it the first time at age 5. Actually my nephew went on it in December at age 3 (he turned 4 in January and is tall for his age!) The only thing that gets you about Space Mountain is that it's a dark ride and it can sometimes jolt you around a bit because your body can't anticipate what's coming up next. I love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter