• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How EMH saved our trip-Doing the World on West Coast Time! Completed. Stop by my PTR!

Hi! I didn't notice before that you had a TR! So I just caught up. Two random things -- I love Alaska Airlines (we use them and my parents use them, especially Horizon! since they live in the middle of Oregon!)
We stayed one night in the cabins at FW. I thought they were cozy and fun!

There was something else.... I will have to go back and look... Oh! Yes, the comparison between the GF and the Coronado in San Diego, that is the hotel, right?!

And I wanted to also say that if I worked across the street from the Wild Ginger I'd eat there every day !!! :lmao:

Hi! I didn't notice before that you had a TR! So I just caught up. Two random things -- I love Alaska Airlines (we use them and my parents use them, especially Horizon! since they live in the middle of Oregon!)
We stayed one night in the cabins at FW. I thought they were cozy and fun!

There was something else.... I will have to go back and look... Oh! Yes, the comparison between the GF and the Coronado in San Diego, that is the hotel, right?!

And I wanted to also say that if I worked across the street from the Wild Ginger I'd eat there every day !!! :lmao:

Hey! Those aren't random :) Yes, my fairly lame trip report that is taking me forever to complete! It is kind of nice to stretch out the memories though!

I love Alaska Airlines too! If we could use them to go everywhere, we would! Horizon is even better. Free wine. I'd forgotten about that perk until last fall when my sister and I decided to fly to Portland instead of driving. LOL

Yep! The Del Coronado in San Diego. DH and I are headed there in less than a month for a "date" trip (no kids) on Alaska miles. We really wanted to stay there but there is no way we could justify the price. We are staying literally next door though at a historic mansion B&B/Inn that looks fabulous so we will definitely be checking it out, to dine or for drinks or just a stroll.

http://www.hoteldel.com/

I'm fairly sure the Del has been around longer but...am not positive. Makes me wonder!

It's funny though, when I first saw the Del all I could think was it looked like the GF and DH had the opposite reaction since he is from S. Cal he thought the GF had copied the Del. :)

Wild Ginger is a "default" business meeting place...it's rough I must admit. I can't afford to eat there every day though.

Heading over to Epcot we parked and strolled over to the World Showcase. We were hoping to get seated a little early and hopefully, maybe, get to see Illuminations. With 8:00 ressies, it was tight.

Still, on the way there we went by these guys. We typically head left upon entering the WS and decided to go to the right today as it seemed a little closer. These guys were quite good and we would have loved to listen to them a little more. Gotta love a rock band in kilts. Steven kept trying to get good pictures both with his camera and mine but it was just too dark, we weren't close enough and our cameras weren't cut out for it.

WDW_090215_0249.jpg

WDW_090215_0251.jpg

It was nice to get a better look at the entrance to LeCellier at this time, it was where we'd hoped to be dining but couldn't get a ressie, Teppan was our back up choice.

Rushing the group on, I did not realize that Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining have the same check in area so was a bit confused as to where to go until we figured that out. The place was insane with one combined waiting area, so full that people were sitting on the floor all over the place. We check in and get our pager, find a spot on the floor for the little ones that seems semi clean.

Wall-E asks to go to the restroom. Remembering that they will not see us unless we are all present (and that includes bathroom trips!) I ask him to wait. And then realize....Steven is missing.

I ask Scrooge about it. "Oh, he was thirsty, he went to get a smoothie."

Great. Just great. So fine. I take Wall-E to the restroom. Sure enough, upon our return, the pager goes off.

No Steven.

No Seat for you.

I make Scrooge call him, reminding him about Illuminations.

Steven is in line for some green tea smoothie of some sort. Line is not moving. Scrooge tells him to come back. Steven doesn't want to. This goes on for a bit but finally Steven shows up. Of course, we have to wait as that table is now full. All of us were quite thirsty at this point. Finally, at maybe 8:20 we are seated.

The first 3 CM's who came by (drink orders, explain the menu and hot towels) were sadly very very hard to understand. Super nice and I felt bad but the kids were really struggling. We had 2 other ladies at our table who were super nice and we enjoyed chatting with them for the remainder of the evening.

Drinks, thankfully in hand and thirst sated we ordered and then our chef arrived.

He started with a bang. Or at least some steam
WDW_090215_0252.jpg

Dished up our sauces and explained them
WDW_090215_0253.jpg

Did some nice twirling moves (by this point, all 4 kids were MESMERIZED)

WDW_090215_0254.jpg

And then launched into the schtick. I've been to Teppan places before. I've never had a running storyline that involved Disney as part of the dinner show! He made Nemo swim and fly, created Mickey (wiped out Mickey) and the story went on and on and on. He was truly truly wonderful.

Mickey!
WDW_090215_0256.jpg

The famous volcano!
WDW_090215_0257.jpg

WDW_090215_0258.jpg

WDW_090215_0259.jpg

WDW_090215_0260.jpg

The food was very good. The kids absolutely loved it. Our sweet server that we couldn't understand made the little ones rubber-banded chopsticks so they could use them too, they thought that was the bomb!

Basically we all had the same thing, just a matter of who had chicken, shrimp or steak lol. It was a very nice change on the kids meal for the little guys.

At this point it was 9 and our entire table was trying to pay, including the lovely ladies dining with us, to rush out and see Illuminations. We rushed out, the ladies, myself and a couple of the kids to find.

Rainy sidewalks and people walking away. Yep. We'd missed it again.

We went back in to finish up dessert and I went to take another picture of our chef. Who asked if the boys wanted to be in the picture!

WDW_090215_0261.jpg

This was by FAR the kids favorite meal of the trip. All 4 of them! While there weren't any they didn't like, they loved Teppan and I will have a hard time not going back there with them on a return trip, I think there might be mutiny.

After dinner we walked out, back the way we'd come. It was odd, it was not an EMH night so the park was pretty close to deserted. I'd hoped to pick up the mug I'd seen 2 nights ago but the shop was CLOSED! Wah! We headed back to the car, the kids skipping in the sprinkles. It looked like it had rained pretty good while we were eating but now, just some sprinkles. Upon arriving in the car we decided that Wall-E and I would go home and I'd toss him in bed, the rest, on to the MK as it was still open for another 3 hours!

Next...some surprises await at the cabin!

Am loving your report, was annoyed for you with regards to your Kona ressie and bus fiasco.

Yay you went to Teppan, we love love love Teppan and can't wait to go back, twice :D

Can't wait to read more :D

Page 2 completed! :yay:

I love TT too. :thumbsup2

That really stinks about missing Illuminations. I hate when they change the times like that so close to your trip. That happened to us as well.

Very cool about starting pin trading. It's a lot of fun. :goodvibes

Page 3 - movin' right along. :woohoo:

What a great way to spend Valentine's Day - getting pedicures! :goodvibes

Too bad about the crowds. :eek:

We went to the Barber Shop because dh was thinking of getting his haircut. We saw a boy who had the pixie dust and wondered how hard it was going to be to get that stuff out of his hair. Not sure if you've commented on that or not, but I'm curious to know how it went.

I'm all caught up! :banana:

I've heard good things about Teppan Edo - guess I may have to add it to my list for the future. :thumbsup2

Can't wait for more! :goodvibes

Am loving your report, was annoyed for you with regards to your Kona ressie and bus fiasco.

Yay you went to Teppan, we love love love Teppan and can't wait to go back, twice :D

Can't wait to read more :D

Well the not so funny part was that I KNEW better. I KNEW there wasn't a bus and allowed myself to be convinced otherwise as DH as sick of riding the boat and was convinced there was a faster way. Very sad that their information could be that off though.

But...it all worked out and had it not, we wouldn't have seen wishes at all! And seeing it from the boat, which was one of the small boats, was pretty darn special

So.... A silver lining! Platinum even!

We figured the kids would like Teppan, just underestimated how much. Favorite food AND show, and we had great meals every night! It will definitely be a must-do from now on I think!

Page 2 completed! :yay:

I love TT too. :thumbsup2

That really stinks about missing Illuminations. I hate when they change the times like that so close to your trip. That happened to us as well.

Very cool about starting pin trading. It's a lot of fun. :goodvibes

TT is my fav. Hands down :) To be fair, not really any rides I don't like (though ToT freaks me out, I will do it lol).

I was SOOOOO upset about the fireworks thing! I had planned everything to death around it, all our ADR's etc so that we would potentially see them EVERY night. Which couldn't have been farther from what actually happened. I'd have pushed for Fantasmic to sort of make it up but we already had our DHS day planned for a non Fastasmic (but EMH) day. Oh well.

The only way I can see to avoid that on the next trip is to either do CS for dinner (no way jose!) or eat earlier than we normally do and I can't see that working either with the time difference adjustment, not to mention the fact that we are late eaters by nature normally! Hopefully not going in Feb...will mean later sunset and less of a chance of them being moved earlier.

8pm is too early for fireworks!!!

I did get one pin for myself, should have bought another one the kids wanted me to get and could kick myself. But I didn't see a lanyard that "I" liked so...next trip! Boy that can add up FAST!

Page 3 - movin' right along. :woohoo:

What a great way to spend Valentine's Day - getting pedicures! :goodvibes

Too bad about the crowds. :eek:

We went to the Barber Shop because dh was thinking of getting his haircut. We saw a boy who had the pixie dust and wondered how hard it was going to be to get that stuff out of his hair. Not sure if you've commented on that or not, but I'm curious to know how it went.

Well as long as DS9 didn't touch it (the gel is pretty think and didn't really "dry" where the mickey head was) or lean against anything it was fine. He had the buzz cut so I think the washing was pretty easy. He took a shower and washed it all out and while I cringe to think of what that does to the Fort's drain...nothing was at the bottom of the tub! However with BBB...I imagine their drains can handle it.

LOL

Oh my goodness! I see that there is now a pirate makeover for boys at the MK opening this summer. I wonder if my guys will be too old for it when we go next (fingers crossed for fall 2010...I can't stand not being able to plan it yet!).

But...I digress :)

We headed back to our car, skipping through the deserted Epcot in the sprinkles...

Or more accurately Goofy and Tink playing tag until someone, of course Goofy, bit the dust on the wet walkway. She tends to forget just how much smaller he is than she is. And of course he eggs it on. One messy knee semi doctored...we resumed our trek to the van.

It was WEIRD walking through it after it was closed...almost eerie.

Scrooge managed to get us back to the cabin relatively quickly but it really didn't feel like it was any faster than taking the bus so that was interesting. By the time you took the tram to the car, car navigated to the Fort, into the gates correctly etc..the bus felt faster and less complicated. It was nice having the car but definitely could live without it too.

While theoretically Scrooge was just dropping Wall-E and I off, everyone came in to get jackets, put on pants in a couple of cases (as it was now a pretty steady drizzle) add a small umbrella to the backpack, confirm that the poncho's were in there, and of course, use the facilities.....

Upon opening the door we found....

A Towel Animal Party!

Check it out

WDW_090215_0265.jpg

WDW_090215_0266.jpg

WDW_090215_0264.jpg

WDW_090215_0262.jpg

WDW_090215_0263.jpg

WDW_090215_0267.jpg

ok, the boat isn't an animal but we still thought it was cute!

Surprisingly, hugely so, Wall-E didn't throw a fit and got in his jam's and went straight to bed. The big kids headed out, I got my jam's on and had my "dessert"...a glass of wine...nestled in with my laptop for a wee bit on the couch...in peace :)

I didn't bother going to bed until the gang got back as they'd have just woken me anyway lol. They didn't take pictures but by all accounts had a good time. They got to do a ton of rides...HM, POTC, SM, BTMRR...and I swear something else but I can't recall what. I was quite happy about this as they all felt like they "got" a lot more time at MK than I think Wall-E and I did so were pretty happy about it. Plus it was neat for Scrooge to have that alone time with the kids, that is always kind of special. Over the week I had lots of alone time with the younger 3 so it was nice especially for Tink and Goofy to be included with the "really" big boys :)

Steven was able to exchange his melting mickey t-shirt for a longer one so he was pretty darn happy about it. He wears it all the time and I've got to get a picture of him in it. Nothing like like seeing your rocker "cool" teen...in a mickey shirt to make you smile.

As we all settled in and drifted off to sleep...the sound of heavy rain lulled me.

And stayed in my dreams all night. Would it be dry in the morning?

I'm trying to find the boys first Disney trip pics and while I know they got "lost" with the death of a previous computer...I swear I have hard copies somewhere! Need to find and scan :) They are from Disneyland but still!

However....since that was all "pre" Scrooge I thought I'd share his first trip!

And I finally figured out how to make the pictures smaller. Or more accurately when and where! LOL

My DH grew up in S. CA. So LOTS of Disneyland and all the southern California parks. He'd never been to the world and really didn't have a clue. For this trip, we basically just showed up. No DIS, NO ADR's....I can't even imagine!

My parent had made all the arrangements other than flights.

20 of my family members went together and rented two houses next door to each other, 5 minutes from the main gate. It was a BLAST! Scrooge still married me after this trip so he must not have hated it too much. About 6 weeks later!

We left a day ahead of much of my family and got our first taste of staying on property with one night at ASM. We vowed to come back, stay on property and bring all 4 kids and wouldn't come until we could. We actually missed 2 other family trips as a result but it was worth the wait!

DS9 was looking at this the other day and commented that he STILL has some of the clothes in these pictures. Which is true. And scary. Although I "think" I've tried to take that tank top away from him several times he seems to keep finding it and poor DS8 is so white he looks ridiculous in tank tops period. My kids just get taller but that's about it. He was five at the time!

Brings back the memories though...back when they were obsessed with shiny soft clothes...the kind the show every stain known to man.

scan0007.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Copyofscan0003.jpg

Playhouse Disney was a BIG deal for us on this trip, DS9 LOVED Stanley. Loved him. And yet...when looking at the little album my mom made him the other day...didn't have a clue who the guy with the big head was. Of course once I mentioned "the great big book of everything" it all came back.

Here is DS8 with his map. He was obsessed with maps. Had quite the Dora fetish for a long while actually. We were very surprised this year that he wasn't trying to walk and read maps constantly on this trip, I think we'd taken it for granted that he'd always do this that it really was a huge shocker to watch him just enjoy where ever we went!

scan0001.jpg

Goofy and Tink didn't join us as 1) we weren't married yet...I was just the GF and 2) their mom had already pulled them out that same year for a vacation to Mexico. Later that same year, Scrooge took Goofy and Tink to DL for the first time (to kind of make up for them missing this trip) and those pics are lost as well. Sigh.

I am somewhat (ok a lot lol) pleased to look at these and realize I still have BOTH hats that the boys are wearing in these pics!

It's the little things :rotfl:

OMG I have a lot of catching up to do here. How did I miss this much? See...dang TR causes me trouble sometime! Well first off I have to say we love the MSB too! If we were closer that's the only place the boys would get their hair done. They LOVE it. I will tell ya...once DS got the blue hair gel in his head and IT DID NOT COME OUT! :scared1: We had to wait for his hair to grow out. He has super white hair (well, he did before that....then it was light blue) :rotfl2:. Disney tried everything...they gave us clarifying shampoo. Offered to dye his hair (which I was like NFW!) :eek: They returned the money for all three haircuts and hooked the kids up w/ a bunch of toys. It looked like Christmas that day. Stuff everywhere! OMG. Anyway, watch out for that gel!

I can't wait to get back to the cabins! We love it over there! So nice and peaceful and the inlaws said we could use their golf cart when we go. THAT will be nice.

YUM! Teppan Edo. My kids' fave too! (And mine as well...must add that.) I love everything about that place. We have a lot of Hibachi here too but at WDW everyone there seems so authentic. The servers have such deep accents and that's so cool!) Here ya might have the blonde hair blue eyed surfer boy serving your hibachi. :rotfl2: I am starving now.

Oh and one last thing...love the older pics. I am a sucker for the older stuff. So cool to see how much everyone changes. GREAT updates girl! :thumbsup2

Okay... someone else posted they just noticed you had a TR, so I don't feel quite so bad admitting it myself!

Off to work now, but will be back later to read in it's entirety! :thumbsup2

Kathy

OMG I have a lot of catching up to do here. How did I miss this much? See...dang TR causes me trouble sometime! Well first off I have to say we love the MSB too! If we were closer that's the only place the boys would get their hair done. They LOVE it. I will tell ya...once DS got the blue hair gel in his head and IT DID NOT COME OUT! :scared1: We had to wait for his hair to grow out. He has super white hair (well, he did before that....then it was light blue) :rotfl2:. Disney tried everything...they gave us clarifying shampoo. Offered to dye his hair (which I was like NFW!) :eek: They returned the money for all three haircuts and hooked the kids up w/ a bunch of toys. It looked like Christmas that day. Stuff everywhere! OMG. Anyway, watch out for that gel!

I can't wait to get back to the cabins! We love it over there! So nice and peaceful and the inlaws said we could use their golf cart when we go. THAT will be nice.

YUM! Teppan Edo. My kids' fave too! (And mine as well...must add that.) I love everything about that place. We have a lot of Hibachi here too but at WDW everyone there seems so authentic. The servers have such deep accents and that's so cool!) Here ya might have the blonde hair blue eyed surfer boy serving your hibachi. :rotfl2: I am starving now.

Oh and one last thing...love the older pics. I am a sucker for the older stuff. So cool to see how much everyone changes. GREAT updates girl! :thumbsup2

LOL! Your TR gets a lot of traffic, that's a lot of (fun) work to keep up on. Love the flower pics by the way :)

OMG the blue gel staining would have freaked me out. I'm glad I didn't know that. This is the episode that scared DS8 from ever putting color in his hair again.

He's got REALLY dry skin and still had some cradle cap (which I didn't realize) and the colored spray actually fried his skin/scalp. It was awful!

ericcrazyhair.jpg

Of course...DS9 probably wouldn't have minded if the top of his head stayed lime green!

A golf cart would be a ton of fun, we couldn't justify the cost but the kids would have loved it and we could have squished. If we stay at the cabins again it'd be fun to have one for a couple of days at least!

Thanks on the old pics....I have so few from that trip I went digging this morning. Found the 2001 DL pics which are a hoot and found all my TRAVEL docs from 2004 (maps, KTTW, etc) but not a single picture. I think my mothers day mantra will be to organize all the pics, it is a disaster down there! I just got my shutterfly book from this trip and it is SOOO cute it makes me want to go back and do one for each of our vacations but...have to find the pics and either upload them, or scan them.

Okay... someone else posted they just noticed you had a TR, so I don't feel quite so bad admitting it myself!

Off to work now, but will be back later to read in it's entirety! :thumbsup2

Kathy

LOL! Considering you've got 2 going on right now (TR and PTR, right?) you are pretty darn busy. And considering I'm only on day 3 and that's taken me 2 months....it's not a very popular TR! Trying to work on it though.

Poor baby. I was always scared that stuff would color my hair. I had really white hair as a kid.

The golf cart rentals are expensive! My in laws have one though and they said we could use it. If they don't let us I think my neighbor will load us his. Maybe. :rolleyes:

I loved Ft Wilderness though. There was so much to do over there. I can't wait to get back.

You sound like me. I've spent the past couple of days getting pictures in order. I have to order a clandar and now I can't decide on which 12 to use. :rotfl2:

Poor baby. I was always scared that stuff would color my hair. I had really white hair as a kid.

The golf cart rentals are expensive! My in laws have one though and they said we could use it. If they don't let us I think my neighbor will load us his. Maybe. :rolleyes:

I loved Ft Wilderness though. There was so much to do over there. I can't wait to get back.

You sound like me. I've spent the past couple of days getting pictures in order. I have to order a clandar and now I can't decide on which 12 to use. :rotfl2:

Calendar's are brutal. I didn't do one this year lol!

The Fort is the best. I can't believe how many trips you have in one year...so not fair! You'll get to test out the new water slide, very fun, the kids are very focused on staying there again versus anywhere else so they can try it! Kind of cute.

I am so dying to go again this year and it is SOOOO not going to happen :(

I had to share this, while digging through old pics...I found this.

Then
scan00072.jpg

and now

WDW_090215_0243-1.jpg

Yes...the giant sucker still gets him every time!

I forgot to say last time how jealous I am that you got to see Off Kilter. I started falling for two of those guys when I first saw pictures posted in someone's TR. :love:

Awesome towel animals!! :thumbsup2

Loved the old pictures. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter