• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Early is Too Early to Plan??? - TR Link Added - 12/29

Beach Trip – Baseball Game

We made it to Atlanta in plenty of time to park and walk to Turner Field. Once inside, I had a hard time finding my way around. It took me a little bit to figure out the orientation of the field (we entered at centerfield side and I assumed it was home plate side). In addition to that, they basically split even numbered sections on one side of the park and odd numbered sections on the other side.

I've never heard of splitting even and odd on either side of the park. :confused3

Once I finally walked through an opening and could see the field, I figured out where we needed to go and headed that way. When I ordered tickets, I knew that we’d only need 3 since DD wouldn’t need one to get in. I have to say that I like the new online ticket system that MLB has now where you can look at individual sections see which seats are available and choose your specific seats. I found a small triangle shaped section along an angled wall right next to the Reds bullpen. The second row in that section was probably technically about 20 rows from the field, but it only had 3 seats. Perfect for corralling kids.

9399101770_3c9b581b7e.jpg

9399090444_2b394502e5.jpg

9396320729_bf05447dca.jpg

Nice field.

A few innings later there is action in the bullpen. DS was kneeling on my lap so he could see over the wall to watch. Not hanging over the railing at all, completely in my lap with his chin and hands on the railing above the wall. Same security guard came back. Told us he couldn’t sit like that. Now I’m ticked. I had a few words for him that time. But we sat like this the rest of the time.

9399095288_84b9cd8e90.jpg

Probably a safety precaution so he doesn't fall over and you don't sue or less risk of getting hit by a loose ball or bat.

JJ Hoover was the man in the bullpen and the next inning he was called into the game. As he left, he tossed the ball in our direction. I started to stand up and catch it, but I noticed it was just a little bit to my left and there was a boy from the other family standing there right on line with it. I just sat down and let him catch it because I didn’t want to be “that guy” that makes the highlights on Sports Center or something.

The kid immediately turned and handed the ball to DS. This kid was maybe 10 years old. When I was that age, if I caught a ball, there is no way I’m giving it up. DW had already been chatting with his mom and sister, but after he gave us the ball, we learned a little more about their family.

I thanked him and told him that was very nice of him. I offered to buy him a souvenir ball, but he said it was ok, he has a bunch at home and got one from JJ Hoover the night before too. Turns out, his mom was Jonathan Broxton’s aunt. She told us that they live in Savannah, but always come to Atlanta whenever the Reds are in town so that they can see him. She said otherwise, they don’t get to see him any from the time Spring Training starts until after the season ends. I didn’t ask for proof or anything, but Broxton was on the DL at the time and he did come out to sit in the bullpen after about the 7th inning and he waved at them when he sat down. So I’ll believe it.

Very nice of that young boy!

Around the 8th inning, we got to see a Cincinnati fan favorite start getting loose.

On a side-note, DS and I went to watch Chapman pitch in his MLB debut back in 2010. DS was about 8 months old at the time. The announcement was made that day that he’d be making his debut and the next thing I knew, I had plans to pick DS up and meet a few friends and my BiL (to be at the time) and go to the game. For that reason and many others, he’s one of our favorite Reds and part of why we wanted to be near the bullpen.

Cool!

We weren’t sure we’d see him pitch though because the Reds bats came alive in the 9th to take away the potential save situation. They got another pitcher up and loose, but I guess since it was the last game before the All-Star break, Dusty wanted to give Chapman some work. The end result was an 8-4 win for the Reds and a split in the 4 game series. It was a great afternoon at the ballpark.

Glad you have Dusty; couldn't stand him here.

The way parking is set up in Atlanta, it looked like it would be a nightmare to get out. We took our time getting to the car, and it did take a while to get out and on the highway, but not quite as bad as I expected. We had a couple of hours driving to get us to Columbus, GA where we were staying for the night. We exited there and started discussing where we wanted to eat. DS spotted a Burger King with a huge play area, so we decided it would be a great idea to let the kids burn off some energy.

9399071468_42f8dda932.jpg

9399067222_ea2b181093.jpg

9396295493_0e9350852c.jpg

Afterwards, we headed across the street to our hotel, swam for a while and went to bed. Tomorrow, we’d be swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

Always a great way to run off some steam.

I just sat down and let him catch it because I didn’t want to be “that guy” that makes the highlights on Sports Center or something.

:rotfl2: I love watching the highlights on SC so that would have been pretty hilarious to see you on it!

Dang, looks like that security guard had nothing better to do than give out warnings to you:rolleyes:

I love your DD's Reds outfit. Very cute!

Good call on not going for the ball and letting the 10 year old catch it! That was very generous of him to give it to your DS.

I love visiting different ballparks, checking out the scenery and the food. Oh and the game too but most of the time it's two teams that I don't have a rooting interest for so I mostly try to enjoy the atmosphere. I've taken the family and kids to our Nats Park here in DC. Really like it. They also have Ben's Chili Bowl concession stand which is a DC institution in one of the best chili dogs I've ever tasted. And of course we have the running of the presidents! Heading to Chicago a week from tomorrow for our guys out weekend with some buddies from my residency program at Riley Children's. We're going to one of those rooftops at Wrigley for a Cubs vs. Cards game. Really looking forward to it.

Heading to Chicago a week from tomorrow for our guys out weekend with some buddies from my residency program at Riley Children's. We're going to one of those rooftops at Wrigley for a Cubs vs. Cards game. Really looking forward to it.

We, as lifelong Cubs fans, have been to Wrigley more times than I can count as has our 27 year old son. He's done the rooftop a number of times and it is his favorite spot. This even over the front row seats we had when I arranged for him to throw out the first pitch for his 16th birthday.:goodvibes

I've never heard of splitting even and odd on either side of the park.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It definitely threw me for a loop.

Nice field.
It really was. I was just surprised that it wasn't a bigger crowd for a Sunday afternoon game in Atlanta with a couple of the top teams in the NL playing. :confused3

Probably a safety precaution so he doesn't fall over and you don't sue or less risk of getting hit by a loose ball or bat.
You know I could understand that, but he wasn't sitting more than about 6" higher than he was in that picture. There was no way he could go over, and the railing was to the bullpen. The only thing that could have flown out of there would be a ball and it would have to be a wild pitch that wasn't within 50' of home plate. :rotfl:

The guy was a jerk though and it really rubbed me the wrong way. It wasn't something like he tapped me on the shoulder and said he couldn't sit like that. He started yelling at me from about a section away. I wasn't going to take it and I seriously considered the possibility that I might not be in the ballpark to see the end of the game. And I was actually ok with that at that point.

Very nice of that young boy!
It certainly was!

Glad you have Dusty; couldn't stand him here.
Oh please take him back!!!!! I love the Reds, but I question a LOT of things he does. I watched him ruin young power pitchers in Chicago, so the only good decision he's ever made was keeping Chapman in the bullpen instead of making him a starter.

I still blame him for the playoff meltdown against the Giants last year. I think the Reds would have swept the series if he didn't mis-manage game 3. :faint:

Always a great way to run off some steam.
Absolutely! And it was much needed.

:rotfl2: I love watching the highlights on SC so that would have been pretty hilarious to see you on it!
True, but I'd rather be "the guy who catches a ball in his beer while holding a baby" than "the guy to grabs a ball away from a kid." :rotfl2::lmao:

Dang, looks like that security guard had nothing better to do than give out warnings to you:rolleyes:
I mean, I'm not one to go around just trying to break rules and push things, but this guy was just a first class <insert another word for donkey here>. :lmao:

I love your DD's Reds outfit. Very cute!
Thanks. We got a lot of compliments on it at the game.

And on a sidenote, aside from that security guard guy, all the employees and fans in Atlanta were actually very friendly and great! :thumbsup2

Good call on not going for the ball and letting the 10 year old catch it! That was very generous of him to give it to your DS.
It was. I was shocked when he handed it to him.

I love visiting different ballparks, checking out the scenery and the food. Oh and the game too but most of the time it's two teams that I don't have a rooting interest for so I mostly try to enjoy the atmosphere. I've taken the family and kids to our Nats Park here in DC. Really like it. They also have Ben's Chili Bowl concession stand which is a DC institution in one of the best chili dogs I've ever tasted. And of course we have the running of the presidents! Heading to Chicago a week from tomorrow for our guys out weekend with some buddies from my residency program at Riley Children's. We're going to one of those rooftops at Wrigley for a Cubs vs. Cards game. Really looking forward to it.
I've got to say, if I'm going to eat chili dogs at a ballpark, give me some Skyline in Cincinnati!!! I've kind of steered away from it in recent years though. We don't have Skyline around here, it is regional to Cincinnati and it has always been a favorite of mine to grab at the ballpark. They've jacked prices up so much though that it is I think $9.50 for a couple of chili dogs at the ballpark. Now I just stop at a drive thru on the way into the park and get a couple of Skyline dogs for like $2.50. I just grab a slice of La Rosa pizza while I watch the game. Much cheaper that way. :thumbsup2 :rotfl2::rotfl:

Enjoy the game in Chicago. Cubs and Cards should be a fun one. I can't believe I'm saying this. It could very well be the only time in my entire life... Go Cubs.

We, as lifelong Cubs fans, have been to Wrigley more times than I can count as has our 27 year old son. He's done the rooftop a number of times and it is his favorite spot. This even over the front row seats we had when I arranged for him to throw out the first pitch for his 16th birthday.:goodvibes
You arranged for him to throw out the first pitch at Wrigley for his 16th birthday????? Holy crap. I may hate the Cubs, but I'm still jealous.

:woohoo:

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express so we took full advantage of the breakfast offerings.

Bacon, bacon on toast, bacon in the eggs, bacon with the orange juice, bacon in the orange juice, bacon with bacon, and then for desert… more bacon.

Oh and the cinnamon rolls y’all keep telling me about…
With more bacon of course.

They didn’t have a full tray of cinnamon rolls out, so I couldn’t sneak one out of there, but I certainly did eat more than one.

I suspect you could’a if you really wanted to.
You were just being uncharacteristically considerate.

We made it to Atlanta in plenty of time to park and walk to Turner Field. Once inside, I had a hard time finding my way around. It took me a little bit to figure out the orientation of the field (we entered at centerfield side and I assumed it was home plate side). In addition to that, they basically split even numbered sections on one side of the park and odd numbered sections on the other side.

Interesting choice… I’ll keep that in mind if I ever get over there to catch a game.

The usher in our section never said anything to us, but after a while, security came over and told us she couldn’t walk up and down the steps. Um… well, ok, maybe it is fire marshal rules, so whatever.

Hummmm… maybe…

A few innings later there is action in the bullpen. DS was kneeling on my lap so he could see over the wall to watch. Not hanging over the railing at all, completely in my lap with his chin and hands on the railing above the wall. Same security guard came back. Told us he couldn’t sit like that. Now I’m ticked. I had a few words for him that time.

Yah… now I’d have been a bit unhappy as well.
Either the security folks are taking themselves too seriously…
or Ted’s lawyers are working way too hard.

The kid immediately turned and handed the ball to DS.

Very kind of him. Even if he already had several, that was kind because…

When I was that age, if I caught a ball, there is no way I’m giving it up.

Most folks would have been far more like “That Guy”.

The end result was an 8-4 win for the Reds and a split in the 4 game series. It was a great afternoon at the ballpark.

I would say so.
I’d also say that the decision to take a little time out of the trip for this excursion was a mighty fine one indeed.

Tomorrow, we’d be swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

Excellent!
Just remember to take the cellphone out of your pocket before jumping into the water.

What a great day! Baseball games are great and it is so nice to share them with your family. DH and I keep saying that we are going to go to an MLB game, but haven't been to one in years. That security guard sounded like a real nit-pick, but at least he didn't ruin your fun. I love your DD's little dress and shoes, she looks so cute!

I love the pictures of the game! Your kids are adorable, and I'm a big baseball fan (Go O's!!!). So nice that you let that kid catch it, and they paid it back by giving your son the ball. :goodvibes

Bacon, bacon on toast, bacon in the eggs, bacon with the orange juice, bacon in the orange juice, bacon with bacon, and then for desert… more bacon.

Oh and the cinnamon rolls y’all keep telling me about…
With more bacon of course.
Don't know how to break it to you, so I'm just going to say it. They didn't have bacon. They had sausage.

It was still a pretty awesome breakfast though and I didn't have to pay anything extra for it.

I suspect you could’a if you really wanted to.
You were just being uncharacteristically considerate.
No, I meant I wanted to take a tray of them. I literally couldn't take a tray because they didn't even have a tray full of them. :rolleyes1

Interesting choice… I’ll keep that in mind if I ever get over there to catch a game.
Glad to help...

Hummmm… maybe…
Seemed reasonable.

Yah… now I’d have been a bit unhappy as well.
Either the security folks are taking themselves too seriously…
or Ted’s lawyers are working way too hard.
Or it could have just been that this particular guy had a Barney Fife superiority complex. I failed to mention that the usher for our section was standing at the aisle about 3 rows behind our seats for the whole game. He didn't seem to have a problem with anything and even stepped in between us during our "chat."

Very kind of him. Even if he already had several, that was kind because…
Definitely was.

Most folks would have been far more like “That Guy”.
::yes::

I would say so.
I’d also say that the decision to take a little time out of the trip for this excursion was a mighty fine one indeed.
It certainly was. But it was only fair from my point of view.

Excellent!
Just remember to take the cellphone out of your pocket before jumping into the water.
Well, I did. Kind of. We'll get to that later. :rolleyes1

What a great day! Baseball games are great and it is so nice to share them with your family. DH and I keep saying that we are going to go to an MLB game, but haven't been to one in years. That security guard sounded like a real nit-pick, but at least he didn't ruin your fun. I love your DD's little dress and shoes, she looks so cute!
I love going to ball games. We had a great time and I'm glad that DW and DS enjoy going too. DD, not so much, but she's at that stage where she just wants to be on the move all the time.

I love the pictures of the game! Your kids are adorable, and I'm a big baseball fan (Go O's!!!). So nice that you let that kid catch it, and they paid it back by giving your son the ball. :goodvibes
The O's are an interesting team. I kind of like what they've been building the past couple of years. That and they're not the Yankees or Red Sox, so I'm always a fan of the O's, Rays and Blue Jays. :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

That was really cool that he gave DS the ball. I just had to make sure I was quick to grab his hand and the ball before he could show off his arm. :rotfl2:

Don't know how to break it to you, so I'm just going to say it. They didn't have bacon. They had sausage.

:eek: Sacrilege!

It was still a pretty awesome breakfast though and I didn't have to pay anything extra for it.

Well… OK… I guess that makes up for it.
And you did get some of the cinnamon rolls.

No, I meant I wanted to take a tray of them. I literally couldn't take a tray because they didn't even have a tray full of them. :rolleyes1

That’s the Andy I expect!
Makes a whole lot more sense.

Or it could have just been that this particular guy had a Barney Fife superiority complex. I failed to mention that the usher for our section was standing at the aisle about 3 rows behind our seats for the whole game. He didn't seem to have a problem with anything and even stepped in between us during our "chat."

Agreed…
Most likely an example of someone with severe Fife-opathic tendencies

I'm with you-I'd also take any opportunity to get to a new ball park!

Looks like you guys had pretty great seats! Too bad about the grumpy usher, but what a wonderful kid sitting near you! I bet DS was thrilled with his souvenir.

And on a sidenote, aside from that security guard guy, all the employees and fans in Atlanta were actually very friendly and great! :thumbsup2

I was actually going to ask you about the fans. I'm sure they were nicer to you since you had kids with you. As a Giants fan, I will NEVER step foot in Dodger stadium. I mean, I can understand some playful banter between rival fans, since i've given and taken some, but beating and berating? No way.

Sorry you had a bad time with the security guard at the stadium. We've been to many games at Turner Field and have never had any problems. I do enjoy seeing games there!

That was so sweet of that little boy to give y'all the ball!

Joining in! I'll be in the same long planning boat when we get back from our trip next month... no more Disney trips for us until 2015!

Cheryl

Your kiddos are too cute!! I love their smiles. :) I don't follow baseball too much, neither does my husband, but I think going to a baseball game is a must on our list of things to do with the kiddos. I love that you found a row with only 3 seats. Also the stairs, I swear we could stick our girls in front of stairs and they could go up and down for hours at that age. I'm not sure why it's so fascinating/fun for them but, hey it keeps them busy and tires them out so it works for me!

How sweet of the boy to give up the ball :) Good kid material there!

:eek: Sacrilege!
Eh, I like one just as well as the other, to be honest. Not to take away from the awesomeness of bacon, but there aren't many meat products I don't like.

Well… OK… I guess that makes up for it.
And you did get some of the cinnamon rolls.
And those are the highlight of the breakfast offerings there.

That’s the Andy I expect!
Makes a whole lot more sense.
:thumbsup2

Agreed…
Most likely an example of someone with severe Fife-opathic tendencies
He definitely wanted people to respect his authoritah.

(no I didn't misspell authority, it is a South Park reference that I'm sure you won't get.)

I'm with you-I'd also take any opportunity to get to a new ball park!
Heck yeah... I mean when you go to a game you have to watch the Cubs. I'd want to go anywhere else too. :rolleyes1

Looks like you guys had pretty great seats! Too bad about the grumpy usher, but what a wonderful kid sitting near you! I bet DS was thrilled with his souvenir.
He was. I had to convince him to wait until we got to the hotel room to throw it around so he wouldn't lose it. And yes, I did encourage throwing a baseball inside. It is vacation, after all. :thumbsup2:rotfl2:

I was actually going to ask you about the fans. I'm sure they were nicer to you since you had kids with you. As a Giants fan, I will NEVER step foot in Dodger stadium. I mean, I can understand some playful banter between rival fans, since i've given and taken some, but beating and berating? No way.
Yeah, I remember that guy getting beat up a couple of years ago. There's no need for that anywhere. I've been to several different ballparks, always wearing at least a Reds cap, even if they aren't playing that day. I've never had a bad experience anywhere. Most true baseball fans know the game and just like to chat about the game, players, etc.

Adorable! Just adorable!
Thanks!

Sorry you had a bad time with the security guard at the stadium. We've been to many games at Turner Field and have never had any problems. I do enjoy seeing games there!
It certainly is a nice park. I'm glad we went. I'm definitely not a Braves fan at all, but I do like the way they do things and love watching a few players on that team play. It just so happened that they were pretty much all out that game. Heyward, both Uptons and Freeman were all out. Gattis made his return from the DL though.

That was so sweet of that little boy to give y'all the ball!
It definitely was. Moments like that restore your faith in humanity. :lmao:

Joining in! I'll be in the same long planning boat when we get back from our trip next month... no more Disney trips for us until 2015!

Cheryl
:welcome:

I hate that feeling. Knowing that you have so long before you'll get to go back. I do love planning a trip, but I'd like to have more answers and less questions to start the process with even if it is over a year away.

Your kiddos are too cute!! I love their smiles. :) I don't follow baseball too much, neither does my husband, but I think going to a baseball game is a must on our list of things to do with the kiddos. I love that you found a row with only 3 seats. Also the stairs, I swear we could stick our girls in front of stairs and they could go up and down for hours at that age. I'm not sure why it's so fascinating/fun for them but, hey it keeps them busy and tires them out so it works for me!
I think going to a ball game is a great family activity, even if you aren't a big baseball fan. The parks are pretty much all family friendly, tickets aren't as absurdly expensive as other sporting events, and in some parks, you're even allowed to take your own food in if you want to keep from paying for an $8 hot dog. I know the ballpark in Cincinnati will allow you to carry in food and sealed plastic bottles and aluminum cans, but no alcohol. I don't think most people even realize that.

How sweet of the boy to give up the ball :) Good kid material there!
Definitely. I was shocked when he did it. I think I was happier about it than DS! :lmao:

Ok, just a quick minor update right now.

I'm home with DS today. He had a fever most of the day yesterday and was burning up this morning (almost 105) when he woke up. He hasn't had any other symptoms of anything being wrong aside from being tired and refusing to eat. I took him to the Dr. and they couldn't figure it out. Said it is probably a virus, but they didn't know what. So they took some swabs and I'm home just monitoring his temp and keeping fluids in him. I think he might be feeling a little bit better though. He wanted pancakes, so we stopped by the drive thru at McDonalds on the way home and he ate about half of an order of 3 pancakes. We're sitting here watching the 2013 Disney World planning DVD as I'm catching up on the DIS. :thumbsup2

Now for some trip pertinent information:

Part of our plan for waiting until late 2014 would be so that DS is over 40" As of his appointment this morning, he was at 39 1/2. We'll easily be there by the time we're ready to go on our trip.

DW mentioned that we are going to be taking a trip to Gatlinburg with her family next summer and that we might go for a full week instead of a long weekend like we've done in the past. I asked her if she will still have vacation and still wants to take this WDW trip. She does and brought up the idea of asking her mom if she wants to go too. MiL has wanted to go, but just hasn't ever gotten around to it. Partly because FiL has no desire whatsoever to go there. She made plans a few years ago to go along with her sister and her sister's grand daughters, but that trip never happened. So DW thinks we should invite her. I've got to admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of taking this trip with just MiL, DW and the kids, but then again, I can also see how this might actually be a good thing for me. I can see them wanting to spend a lot of time in shops or at the resort. I could possibly get some solo park time or DS and I might be able to go do some things together. I know it sounds selfish, but hey, gotta find the bright spots. :rolleyes1

I guess I really don't care, but I've asked her to talk to her mom about it. Even though we don't need to book right away or anything, I would like to know how many people I'm planning for before I go through all the work to compare room costs, etc.

You know what happens when you make assumptions...

respect_authoritah.jpg

I may be "old"... but I ain't clueless.
Well, it is certainly hard to keep track of which bits of pop culture you're actually familiar with. You know, since you're a male and you didn't even know who/what Shakira was a few weeks ago. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter