how early do you get plane tickets?

lisareneeo

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering how early you purchase plane tickets before your trip.? We are going in December. IF you purchase them early are you worried about the airline switching/cancelling your flight ? (or someone even told me they heard US AIR may file for bankruptcy)
Thanks

What bankruptcy? I'm a little nervous now!! I find it cheaper to book early. We have our flights for January 2003 already, I made them about 3 wks ago and they have already gone up $20 per seat and the flight home (6:00 pm) is full. I find, at least at my airport, it is important to make the flights as soon as you are sure of your plans. We have little other options than USAIR (Philly is a hub) to Orlando therefore Flights to Orlando fill fast! What did you hear about the USAIR bankruptcy?????

I book as soon as possible to get the best flights at the best prices.

I don't think US Airways is going to go belly up. I'd be far more worried about one of the other large International carrires.

If your flight gets cancelled or switched, you go with the flow. Generally they will be very accomodating about getting you on another flight. If you buy direct from USAirways.com, they always let you know of flight time changes via e-mail, even if they are only a few minutes difference.

Anne

I tend to start fare watching about 6 months ahead. You never know what fares will do, or if the flights you really want will book up. When we went in November, I was watching fares when suddenly, one day in July fares had dropped from $230 to $167. So I booked.

Now in the Post 9/11 cutbacks, my flights vanished. But I kept an eye out, and when I saw them vanish, I called the airline, and had them change the flights they had rebooked me on.

Some airline websites are really good for this. At delta.com, you can check the availability of seats on the flights. That helps you decide whether to wait for a lower fare, or risk being on the 11:30PM flight...

Bankruptcy is an additional twist...

Please don't worry about US Air going bankrupt. Someone just casually mentioned this but did not say they knew anything specific. ( It was all speculation - I guess I should have never mentioned it in the first place. SORRY) We did buy our tickets for $176.50 and are flying out of Philadelphia this December.

We've been going every year the first week of December since '97. I check 3 to 4 times a week starting in March, the best time of year has been around June/July and I've gotten the best price on Wednesday mornings very early. Also keep an eye on the flights out, after 9/11 Delta cancelled a direct morning flight out of Indy so ATA was the only player, about 2 weeks ago the flight was put back on with a lower price and ATA matched(still 881.00 for 4 but I keep checking).

Rick

Thanks for the comforting messages. I did some research on the usair thing and it appears they have just cut back, and they have actually stopped the Metro Jet service. I would like stress however it is so important to book the flights early if you get a good cost. A fellow DVCer & friend was so impressed by my $162/pp flights in August obtained 2 wks ago (a last minute tripdecision) that she was going to join me. The have now gone up to $352/pp. A huge jump. Don't wait!

We have booked our flights 11 months out mostly with Delta Express from Boston. Good low fares. Unforunately they have changed my flight times and flight # 's 4 times since we made the reservation. The sad thing is Delta never notified us of any of these changes. Had to find out on my own by checking the net.

I would suggest everyone check their flight occassionally.

Ed

As soon as I have travel dates I begin checking airfare. For our August trip the best rate I could find from O'Hare was $354. I checked daily all the travel and airline sites. Three weeks ago there was $198 roundtrip on AA, so I quickly booked those seats.

Now, I'm doing the daily check for my S&BIL's November trip. Still only seeing the $320 airfare, but am betting will see it drop at the four month mark, as mine did.

As I'm writing this post, just got an e-mail from Travelocity. Could have gone from Milwaukee(I'm halfway between MKE and ORD) on Midwest Express for $170 round trip. Oh well......

We live in Seatttle and fly from here to MCO. I just got tickets on the Southwest airlines deal. Only two cities for Seattle, and Orlando was one of them. I got them for 99.00 each way. We will be going in August.

Normally, the earliest you can book is 330 days out, and that's exactly when I book if I know my plans that far in advance. I find that I always get the best prices that way. I have had itineraries change (since 9-11) but they work with you until you are satisfied.

Hi, I usually get the best price at about 2-3 months before I want to go to WDW. I check everyday starting early in the morning and a couple more times during the day. I've seen airfare go up $30.00 a ticket within 2 hours. I use to call my husband and tell him I found great airfare what do you think can I book it. But he would take so long to deciede I just book it now without calling him. We fly out of O'hare. I book anytime I can under $176.00. The last few years I've got AA. I haven't paid more than $186.00 in 3yrs now. We are going in 3wks. This time on Spirit airlines I booked it back in Feb. early in the morning for $166.50 including all the taxes ect.

Hope this helps. Just keep checking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter