How does your office do birthdays?

We don't celebrate birthdays which is fine with everyone.

We do a monthly potluck….now mind you no one thinks to bring food to this event….one person bakes a cake (chocolate box mix) and they all show up with napkins, a bad of chips or a jar of dip...over the years they've gotten in a groove of bring the same thing monthly…

I wouldn’t have an issue with it if we could still have our lunch (eat a sandwich or some type of real food) but I was told this is rude and if I’m going to have something for myself then i need to bring enough for the group....

Ah No, I’m not spending 15dollars on a meal for everyone when the rest of the office is spending 2dollars on a bag of chips

so once a month we starve in the name of birthdays

I wish we would just ignore it. We have one persson on staff who is really into celebrating everything. We all love her, so it's hard to just let it go away.

We're actually discussing right now what to do in the future. We might just have quartly celebrations at our staff meetings. Which is also stupid since we already bring food for those.

I understand baby and wedding showers, but birthdays? Who cares!?

We used to celebrate monthly birthdays, each department would pay for a cake and beverages. It got to the point where people would complain that they didn't like the chosen flavor of cake and then once someone (their birthday was that month) asked to have the date changed because she wasn't going to be in. It just got to be such a hassle, so we stopped. One year just a few of us celebrated each birthday by going out to eat, but we only did that one year. I'm actually happy to have stopped all of that celebrating anyway. Now it's just me and 2 friends that go out to eat to celebrate. Much cheaper!

We do a brunch thing. You could decide to be in the birthday "club" for $12/yr. (payable $6 in Jan and $6 in July). This entitled you to come to the monthly birthday breakfast, sign the birthday card and get a gift when you left. Each month, there was a schedule and three people would bring breakfast type snacks that everyone in the "club" shared. The way it worked out, you ended up bringing snacks about twice a year.

The folks who had a birthday that month got to go through the food line first!

We don't.

We used to have a woman here who would make something homemade and bring in once a month to celebrate everyone's birthdays for that month. But she left and now pretty much nothing is done.

Actually, after over 2 years of working here (3 of my birthdays), no one around here even knows when mine is.

I don't work in an office, but if someone WANTS to, they bake or buy a cake for someone else and whoever is around sings.

Human Resources sends a pre-printed card that a few people (some of whom you don't even know) sign. It's ridiculous. They should save the money and spend it on something better.

at each month's staff meeting, that months birthdays were announced. Copmpany :flower3: provides treats at each staff meeting. if no one has a bday, still have treats.

Then if the birthday person wants to go to lunch on his/her bday, they can do it with their dept etc. It's up to each dept how they handle.

Whoever wanted to go would go, and everyone would pitch in to buy the bday person's lunch.

Easy.

Every Tuesday, we have bagels that our department buys for our department.

When it is someone's birthday, they buy fancier breakfast pastries and we all sing the birthday song and then we have a very silly card for that person.

Sometimes, we have two or three people to celebrate at once.

It works well for us and no one has to pay diddly squat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter