How does VB compare with HHI for kids aged 3-5?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Just got back from a trip to HHI with the family. We went there for pure relaxation - the kids (aged 5,3,3) had a great time riding bikes, playing in the pool and taking part in the organized Disney activities (making crafts etc.)

How is VB for kids in that age range? Are there the same type of bike trails as there are in HHI? Are there as many activities for kids (I only saw the campfires being mentioned)?

Rene

Also I heard that there is a Character Breakfast at Shutters. Is this still going on, and if so, which characters are there?

There are organized activities daily for kids of all ages. Our DD 11 loves both resorts for different reasons. :goodvibes

We love both places - but they're different. HH has more of a "camp" feel - I think there are more activities there and the biking is much much better since HH has such great bike paths. VB is right on the ocean and I think the pool is much better than the one at HH. The area for little kids (the pirate ship) is great, and there's a small putt putt course around the pool too. There are organized activities and a campfire like at HH - but I guess between the pool and the beach, we don't participate in as much organized stuff as at HH. ANd VB doesn't have B'Lou Crabbe and shadow - who are definite favorites with my kids. VB is in a remote area as well - which I like. I don't really like big, built up florida beach towns, so I like the way VB is. But very different than HH with shelter cove nearby. We love them both for different reasons!

Just got back from a trip to HHI with the family. We went there for pure relaxation - the kids (aged 5,3,3) had a great time riding bikes, playing in the pool and taking part in the organized Disney activities (making crafts etc.)

How is VB for kids in that age range? Are there the same type of bike trails as there are in HHI? Are there as many activities for kids (I only saw the campfires being mentioned)?

Rene

We have made multiple trips to each with young kids, and they are both great. They both have great young kid activities. The nice plus about Vero is the resort is small and compact versus HH which has the beach house. THe other Vero plus is the mini golf, and the beach right out your door. The big plus to HH was being able to rent bikes and ride all over the place. We did like this. We would ride to the beach in the early AM, and then around lunch time ride back, and it was perfect to help my 1.5 DD fall asleep for a big nap.

Although I am a HUGE VB fan, I'd say HHI with preschool/toddlers just because the water/waves at HHI is shallow for soooooo far, there aren't a bunch of sharp shells and etc to cut little feet, and the surf is so gentle. It's not going to knock them around.

My DD9 is pretty tough and she still prefers the actual ocean at HHI because it's so gentle. I've got her pictures of actually chilling out while laying down in the surf.

The ocean at VB is more "wild" from a toddler/preschool perspective. Once they are confident in the water and ready for the joys of body surfing/boogie boards - VB!!!

Although I am a HUGE VB fan, I'd say HHI with preschool/toddlers just because the water/waves at HHI is shallow for soooooo far, there aren't a bunch of sharp shells and etc to cut little feet, and the surf is so gentle. It's not going to knock them around.

My DD9 is pretty tough and she still prefers the actual ocean at HHI because it's so gentle. I've got her pictures of actually chilling out while laying down in the surf.

The ocean at VB is more "wild" from a toddler/preschool perspective. Once they are confident in the water and ready for the joys of body surfing/boogie boards - VB!!!

Okay... It is really hard for me to disagree with starbox, but with toddlers and preschoolers... I think that VB is much better.... because.... Young children are going to play in the sand at the beach... Not the ocean. AT HHI in the peak season you may have a real hard time keeping up with where your child is... simply because there is 5000 other people on the beach with you. At VB you may have to sort your child out from 50 other people. Seriously, it is that different.

Love you miss starbox... :lovestruc

Okay... It is really hard for me to disagree with starbox, but with toddlers and preschoolers... I think that VB is much better.... because.... Young children are going to play in the sand at the beach... Not the ocean. AT HHI in the peak season you may have a real hard time keeping up with where your child is... simply because there is 5000 other people on the beach with you. At VB you may have to sort your child out from 50 other people. Seriously, it is that different.

Love you miss starbox... :lovestruc

Okay - Mommy speaking here picturing the OP's kids - you'd never let three year old twins roam more than a few feet away from you. Early elementary age kids - sure.

If I was monitoring itty bitty kids while they dug, I'd prefer to be seated in one of those low chairs in the water where it was cooler and not up on sand.

PLUS - HH has lifeguards in case (God forbid) anything happened.

But your forgiven for disagreeing - just wait till you get grandbabies!

This is a great point. Last summer the surf was so calm except for the first day which was after a big storm. My six DS loved being able to run around, and find little deep pockets of water in the shallow surf.

We've taken our children to both over the years....and love them both. For the 3-5 age group, I think Vero's pirate ship can't be beat as far as poolside fun. The mini golf is still enjoyed by even our oldest, but 3-5 might be a bit young. Even the grassy area next to the lodge is nice.

Both have great activities and will provide magical memories. You can't go wrong.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter