How does vandalism and looting accomplish anything???

Was that local news? All I heard was swollen cheek. I did google after the post about a fracture but all I got was the that one website being used as a source by other sites which clearly lean a certain way.

Yes I stated in the first post that it was local news. I googled also before I posted but can not find it. I don't expect people to take my word for it so I will bow out. It's very tragic situation from any perspective.

Sorry its not "swollen cheek" its "swollen face".
Whether or not that swollen face was found to include an orbital fracture, we'll have to wait and see. As I previously said, I'll wait for something on the record.

From CNN: Man dead after officer-involved shooting in St. Louis

The story so far: Man pulled out knife on cop(s), cop(s) responded by eliminating the threat

It's not yet known if it was related to any of the protesting going on in the area.
Looks like things at the site of today's shooting death is getting tense... The crowds are already gathering with chants of "Hands Up! Don't Shoot!" The poor police chief in that area is trying to make this plea:
“I think it’s important that people understand what happened.” Chief Sam Dotson
Poor guy... look luck with asking people to wait for that!

From CNN: Man dead after officer-involved shooting in St. Louis

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/19/us/missouri-police-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The story so far: Man pulled out knife on cop(s), cop(s) responded by eliminating the threat

It's not yet known if it was related to any of the protesting going on in the area.

Kind of saw something like this coming. Sounds like this guy committed suicide by cop to get "famous" like Mike.
Sorry, but if looting and rioting starts there as well, it is time for law enforcement to get serious.

The police chief says they have recruited black officers, but simply put, there has been little interest from the residents. With such a high unemployment rate, you would think people would be lining up, but in my opinion, it might lead to being ostracised by the community, which may prevent some from applying.

They talked about this on the news yesterday. Part of the problem is to be a police officer (not sure specifically in Ferguson, but in general they said) was you have to not have a criminal background and a certain amount of education. It can't be just because someone is unemployed they can apply for that job. But, I could see the ostracizing taking place also.

What you are missing is that our country's legal system is based on the principle that you are innocent until proven guilty. Those of us giving the officer the benefit of doubt do so because he is due that under our system. The mobs in the streets have convicted the officer without due process.

It all comes down to whether you believe our system of government or you want to be ruled by the insanity of a mob.

You missed that some posters here are accepting every way of looking at what happened in the favor of the officer and to the detriment of the victim. Others are taking the opposite view.

If this case ever gets to a petit jury, then the prosecution will have to convince the jury beyond a reasonable doubt. That isn't the situation with a grand jury or a jury in a civil case should it come to that.

As for mob rule, it depends on which mob. :confused3 ;). I certainly don't want the mob of those advocating for more guns on the street and dog whistling. Nor do I want the provocateurs who have been co opting the protests.

I have a theory about the Ferguson shooting. Tell me if it makes sense.
I think maybe the deceased ran from the officer initially, realizes he has been shot, turns in a rage, and runs toward the officer to attack. He runs with arms raised shouting "Don't shoot", but is in fact running at the officer with intent. This would actually corroborate with some of the witnesses stories, but in fact, it was a ruse to get at the officer without being shot again.
Possible?

Yes I stated in the first post that it was local news. I googled also before I posted but can not find it. I don't expect people to take my word for it so I will bow out. It's very tragic situation from any perspective.

Thank your for the information.

I have a theory about the Ferguson shooting. Tell me if it makes sense.
I think maybe the deceased ran from the officer initially, realizes he has been shot, turns in a rage, and runs toward the officer to attack. He runs with arms raised shouting "Don't shoot", but is in fact running at the officer with intent. This would actually corroborate with some of the witnesses stories, but in fact, it was a ruse to get at the officer without being shot again.
Possible?

:rotfl: Do you still drop acid?

Looks like things at the site of today's shooting death is getting tense... The crowds are already gathering with chants of "Hands Up! Don't Shoot!" The poor police chief in that area is trying to make this plea:Poor guy... look luck with asking people to wait for that!

I had a long thing typed out and it was zapped.

The short of it is there has been a rush for transparency and "understanding" is collateral damage. How could it not? The police & media have this urgency to get raw, unsubstantiated data out to the public. It's pulling the cart before the horse. So now the issue at hand is will the substantiated data (if it is different) replace the imagery and chants of how many days?

Good luck is right.

The violent protesters would probably argue that they do understand. So that's what's brewing and the ingredients.

I wonder if technology has spoiled us into wanting immediate information, is it the nature of this case, or a convergence of the two? In any event, I don't see cooler heads and "understanding" (law and order) prevailing anytime soon. There is too much stoking from too many directions for that.

The short of it is there has been a rush for transparency and "understanding" is collateral damage. How could it not? The police & media have this urgency to get raw, unsubstantiated data out to the public. It's pulling the cart before the horse. So now the issue at hand is will the substantiated data (if it is different) replace the imagery and chants of how many days?

Good luck is right.

The violent protesters would probably argue that they do understand. So that's what's brewing and the ingredients.

I wonder if technology has spoiled us into wanting immediate information, is it the nature of this case, or a convergence of the two? In any event, I don't see cooler heads and "understanding" (law and order) prevailing anytime soon. There is too much stoking from too many directions for that.

Did you watch that Pamela Smart thing on HBO last night? Just to be clear..not meant to be snarky...

Good luck is right.

With information at the speed of Twitter (paired with limited characters to get your information across) I wouldn't be surprised if those people were not aware that the man charged the officers with a knife.

With information at the speed of Twitter (paired with limited characters to get your information across) I wouldn't be surprised if those people were not aware that the man charged the office with a knife.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were videos of the entire thing, along with twitter feeds recounting it.

Good luck is right.

Yes it has. IMO Its about getting anything out there as fast as possible to get veiwership. Viewhership equals ratings, equals more money. It also has to do with peoples short attentions spans. Oh I dont care about what happened last hour, I want to know now.

They talked about this on the news yesterday. Part of the problem is to be a police officer (not sure specifically in Ferguson, but in general they said) was you have to not have a criminal background and a certain amount of education. It can't be just because someone is unemployed they can apply for that job. But, I could see the ostracizing taking place also.

It is another of those things that has become an unfortunate cycle. Black youth are more likely to be arrested than white youth, and more likely to be convicted when charged with the same offenses. This is especially true in poor communities and inner cities. The record of that offense then limits their prospects for the rest of their lives, makes it difficult for them to get out of the negative situations they grew up in (the effect of drug charges on college aid is a little-discussed aspect of our failed "war on drugs" that slams shut the path out of poverty for many young people), and makes it difficult for police depts and other agencies working in the inner cities to recruit from the population they serve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter