How does the tipping process work?

Never done a cruise before, so not quite sure how it works! Thanks!

Here's how it works on DCL:

Your daily tips will be charged to your onboard account. These tips are $12.00 for each person in your room (regardless of age). The $12.00 breaks out to $4.00 per day to your stateroom host; $4.00 per day to your server; $3.00 per day to your asst server; and $1.00 per day to your head server.

At the end of the cruise, with your turndown service, you will receive tip envelopes and coupons. Each envelope says who it is for. The coupons are 2-part, and will have the name/position/amount of tip printed on it. You tear the coupon in half and place 1/2 in the proper envelope (you keep the other half for your records) and hand out the envelopes to the correct person the last day.

You can adjust your tips at Guest Services at any time. Or, if you wish to tip additionally, you can just add cash to the tip envelope when you put the coupon in it.

DCL recommends $12 per person per night for all passengers (adults and children). That will include the stateroom host, head server, server and assistant server. Tips will be automatically charged to your stateroom account, however you are free to change the amount and/or remove it entirely. You'll receive coupons and envelopes the last night to share with the appropriate staff members, if you prefer you may pay entirely in cash (remove the auto-charge at Guest Services) or add more cash to the envelope (or request more be added at Guest Services). It can seem like a lot the first time you cruise, but the staff on DCL truly work hard and deserve every penny!

Enjoy your cruise!

We added money to all envelopes, all of our service people were great.
It was one of the best parts of the trip.

If you want to build the gratuities into the cost of your cruise, you can call DCL and tell them you would like to pre-pay your gratuities. They will add it to your cruise fare and you just pay them off along with your other fees. I find this very convenient, as they are then paid off before I even set foot on the ship so it's one less thing on my on bill when the cruise is over. I do bring some extra cash however, and as others have mentioned, I will top up the tips based on most excellent service :thumbsup2

I hope this helps,

Aby

If you want to build the gratuities into the cost of your cruise, you can call DCL and tell them you would like to pre-pay your gratuities. They will add it to your cruise fare and you just pay them off along with your other fees. I find this very convenient, as they are then paid off before I even set foot on the ship so it's one less thing on my on bill when the cruise is over. I do bring some extra cash however, and as others have mentioned, I will top up the tips based on most excellent service :thumbsup2

I hope this helps,

Aby

Can this be done at any time? We are booked for a 3 night cruise in December and my PIF date is around November 4th (I still have a balance due at this time). Can I have the tips added to my balance now or is it best to wait until the PIF date and do it at that time? TIA :flower3:.

Can this be done at any time? We are booked for a 3 night cruise in December and my PIF date is around November 4th (I still have a balance due at this time). Can I have the tips added to my balance now or is it best to wait until the PIF date and do it at that time? TIA :flower3:.

You can have the tips added at anytime up until 3 days prior to sailing, even after PIF. It essentially is pre-paying an amount to your onboard account. If you use a Disney Visa, pre-paying is considered part of the vacation booking and will have 6-mos no interest; if paid onboard it's like a regular transaction. You'll need to call to add tips as there isn't an option online.

Enjoy your cruise!

You can have the tips added at anytime up until 3 days prior to sailing, even after PIF. It essentially is pre-paying an amount to your onboard account. If you use a Disney Visa, pre-paying is considered part of the vacation booking and will have 6-mos no interest; if paid onboard it's like a regular transaction. You'll need to call to add tips as there isn't an option online.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much :goodvibes. I think I will call today and do that. I love the idea of having the tips pre-paid.....like the pp said, it's one less thing to worry about. This will be our first DCL cruise and I am so excited!!! Thanks again :).

What about room service? Can we put that tip on our account at the end as well? Does room service have an envelope?

Is it easy to find all the people you need to hand envelopes to on the last morning? or can you leave them somewhere for them?

What about room service? Can we put that tip on our account at the end as well? Does room service have an envelope?

No, room service doesn't have an envelope. When they deliver the room service, most of the time, you will sign a receipt. You can add the tip there, or tip in cash at the time. If you add the tip to the receipt, it will be on your onboard account.

Is it easy to find all the people you need to hand envelopes to on the last morning? or can you leave them somewhere for them?

You get the envelopes/coupons the second to last night, so you have a full day to hand them out. If we don't run into our room host in the hallway that day, we leave the envelope on the bed before the (last) nights turndown. And hand out the servers envelopes at dinner the last night. You may find that it's the only time you actually talk to your head server. Although, we've never had that problem.

I will point out, the people receiving the coupons don't really have to have them to get their gratuities check from DCL. However, if you're adding cash to the envelope, you must give it to them.

You get the envelopes/coupons the second to last night, so you have a full day to hand them out. If we don't run into our room host in the hallway that day, we leave the envelope on the bed before the (last) nights turndown. And hand out the servers envelopes at dinner the last night. You may find that it's the only time you actually talk to your head server. Although, we've never had that problem.

So if we are on a 3 night cruise Thursday-Sunday, we will get the envelopes on Friday night to hand out on Saturday?

So if we are on a 3 night cruise Thursday-Sunday, we will get the envelopes on Friday night to hand out on Saturday?

We did not have a full day to distribute the envelopes. We got them the very last afternoon, in time to hand them out at dinner on the last evening. Maybe that has changed recently.

Enjoy your cruise!

We did not have a full day to distribute the envelopes. We got them the very last afternoon, in time to hand them out at dinner on the last evening. Maybe that has changed recently.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks :goodvibes. I'm very excited as I've been wanting to try a Disney cruise for a long time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter