How does the 7 day Caribbean cruise compare to a week at WDW?

invalid_char

Mouseketeer
Which vacation does your family seem to enjoy more? Does anyone get seasick?

Also, for those who have gone in February, can someone tell me what the weather is like? We live in the Northeast and REALLY need warmth and sunshine by that point. (We often go to Acapulco where it is consistently 88 degrees, but it is such a pain to get to and we will shortly have 2 small children and it may be too much)

Can someone tell me what it is like to cruise with 2 very small children?

I found the cruise to be MUCH more relaxing. My daughter isn't so small anymore... she's 5, but we found it perfect. I don't know if I would have gone on the cruise before she was old enough to use the Oceaneers Club.

I can't believe I am even admitting this out loud since I am such a die-hard WDW fanatic (35+ visists) but my family and I really enjoy the cruise so much more. It it way more relaxing and my kids 13,16,18 find it much more fun. They are tired of the crowds and long lines. On the cruise they meet people the first day and they have friends for the entire cruise. They are still e-mailing their friends from our first DCL cruise back in '98. We just recently got off the Magic this past Saturday. We have sailed DCL 5 times and are looking for #6 this summer.

The service and attentiveness of the staff is far superior than at WDW where we sometimes feel like cattle being herded.

Everyone from the deck hands to the Captain smiles and says hello and ask how everything is going. The food is great and unlimited and it is just a wonderful experience.

MJ

The cruise was fun and relaxing but there's a lot more to do at WDW. If I did the cruise again, I wouldn't get off at the ports and do excursions, I'd stay onboard and relax. I'd go to WDW especially since I've been there several times before and its not as hectic anymore. We go at our own pace now and don't try to do "everything." That's my opinion but it depends on what kind of vacation you want. Hope this helps.

We have been on 4 day and 7 day. Booked for the 7 day Western this summer. We have teenagers and they both love the cruise better than the parks now at their ages. We enjoy ourselves and do the adult things that we want and the teens make new friends, most of the time through these boards ahead of time, and they really make the friendships last through email even after the cruises. We really relax by the adult pool on days at sea. We do a family thing on the islands and the kids usually take in the teen cruise on the islands in past Nassau and St. Maarten and Cozumel comining up. We shop together and sightsee together. Dinner is a definite together on the cruise and they stroll in after 2 a.m. when the teen club closes down. We like to party in the Adult bars and just take in the sun by day. We usually don't do breakfast or lunch with them on days at sea, they do their own thing and have always had the best family vacations all around on the cruises. The best by far, we are taking 2 families with us this year, so more teenagers and more adults for all of us to have fun with, not to mention people we met on last years' cruise are meeting us at the Radisson the night before and we are all sailing together. Nothing like a Disney Cruise to bring out the kid in all of us!! Enjoy!!

We sailed this past January and as my wife and I were on the veranda relaxing, I asked her that questions. To sum up our collective opinions, I would say that they are just VERY different. They both offer the top notch service and quality that Disney is known for. WDW is something that is more easily done due to cost, etc. And, we all know how fun the parks, etc. are! DCL offers less to worry about and just seems to be a vacation that is more special (but not necessarily more fun). To a large degree, that is related to cost (its a bit more than WDW depending on how you do each). Therefore, we do it less often. If you ask me, you're splitting hairs between #1 and #2 (and they are WAY ahead of whatever #3 would be). Flip a coin!

Wow! What a great alternative to the parks. We are new DVC members so it's nice to know there is variety.

Some follow up questions:
1) Anyone know what the weather is typically like January/February? Did anyone have trouble with cold or rain?

2) What is the Oceaneers Club and why is it important that your kids be old enough to go?

3) Has anyone gone over kids February or April vacation?

we were on the magic over president's day.

we typically go to wdw 1-2x per year and cruise 1-2x per year.

february weather was low mid 80's which was perfect!

Cruise is more relaxing, wdw is more crazy but fun!

We have an 8 yr old son, he likes doing both equally!

We went on the 1/26 Magic when DD was 8 months old. It was a terrific vacation with her! Very child-friendly, relaxing, and easy. DD now "expects" every adult she sees to talk to her from the constant attention she received on the cruise! We used the nursery 3 times, it's $6/hour for child #1, $5/hour for child #2, minimum 2 hours. It was fine.

Take your own stroller and get a verandah cabin (gives option of being outside during nap time, gives extra space--you will be in your cabin more than "typical cruisers"). They will supply Pack-N-Play and high chair (Diaper Genie if you ask, we just had cabin steward empty trash every day, not a problem with smelly diapers)

We would go again in a second with an infant! (We even had late seating and LOVED it!)

Have a great trip!

Susan

This actually is a very tough decision to make. I love WDW, but I also love the Cruise Line as well! If I had to choose, I probably would choose the Cruise, mainly because of the fact that it is much more relaxing, there are countless activities for your children to do, and you're still right in the middle of all the Disney Magic! (The only downside to that is missing the great rides. Oh well.)

We have done the cruise 2 times, and since the last cruise the ship wasn't able to dock at Castaway Cay, ourkids were so very disapppointed... I am not certain I would take that chance again. ... next time we are doing WDW. Looking forward to Christmas 2002, in WDW.

In May I'll be taking my two small children (2 1/2 and 10mo) on the 7day cruise. I don't know if you have any other children, but I really couldn't imagine doing WDW with them. I think it would be overwhelming and there's just so much that they couldn't do yet. DH and I are planning on taking them in about 5 years (if we can wait that long!) and expect that the cruise will be a much better and more relaxing vacation for us now. I'll try to post some sort of trip report so you (and anyone else who's interested) can hear how it goes with two kids so young.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter