How does SSR compare to OKW?

HappyDVCer

Earning My Ears
This is our first trip to SSR, OKW is our home and we had to 'settle' for SSR this time. It's a beautiful resort, but I'm afraid we are going to miss being 'HOME'. I have been reading everything I can about SSR, we just keep hoping that our wait list will come through but time is running out. Anyone experience this?

They are very similar in feel. Both very laid out and 'condo' style. OKW is very tropical and lush. SSR is more sculptured and has more open spaces. They both use the bus system. Saratoga felt more spread out and I think it is bigger but OKW is large. I like both pools. I think SSR has better food choices at the pool/carry out. Sometimes I go down and just spend the week at one of them without going to the parks. They are both very relaxing.

They are very similar in feel. Both very laid out and 'condo' style. OKW is very tropical and lush. SSR is more sculptured and has more open spaces. They both use the bus system. Saratoga felt more spread out and I think it is bigger but OKW is large. I like both pools. I think SSR has better food choices at the pool/carry out. Sometimes I go down and just spend the week at one of them without going to the parks. They are both very relaxing.

And the units at SSR are not as large. The bedrooms seem equivalent to me, but the "great rooms" and kitchens are smaller as are the balconies.

Only buildings 62, 63 and 64 at OKW have elevators. All buildings at SSR have elevators.
OKW studios have 2 beds and no sofa. SSR studios have 1 bed and a sofabed.

You can walk from SSR to DTD. Also the Turf Club has good food. We often go there for lunch when shopping at DTD. Keep in mind that although you love your home resort, sometimes variety is the spice of life. Just think of it as a new adventure. And there is a pretty nice spa there if you are interested in a little pampering. ;)

What size unit do you have, and how many people? it does make a difference. If it's just 2 of you and you are staying in a studio, I'd say you will like SSR just fine (well, except for those stupid extra doors all over). If you are 2-4 people in a 1 bedroom, You'll do just as well as you would at OKW, but you will miss the laundry room and the space. If you are in a 2 bedroom with 3-8 people, you will REALLY miss the space of OKW.

One of the things we often hear from folks here is that the feel of SSR is similar to OKW. I really don't agree with that statement at all. To me SSR is more of an apartment building than a vacation home. I think of it as something somewhere between the hotel feel of BWV and the vacation home feel of OKW. While it's true that you park outside your own building, you still don't park right outside your door like you do at OKW. We always miss the lush landscape of OKW too. The pools at SSR seem so exposed somehow.

Thanks everyone for the information. We are going to try not to compare resortsl and just look at this vacation as a new and exciting place we haven't visited. The elevators will be a plus and if we miss OKW we can always stop in. After all it's WDW it cant be bad.:)

Power of positive thinking!!!!

Different feel and look, same great experience.

You will always have a "home" but vacations are nice!!!
Jim

My cousin once told me there were no palm trees at SSR (according the theming one would like that would be correct). Now I can't verify because I'm not that observant. We have pool hopped there several times and love the pool and I think they have better food options at SSR. OKW has much nicer and larger patios. The one night we stayed there I really liked it.

BTW, we own at OKW

I agree. Pool and food is better at SSR. Also, the pathways are nice for strolling, whether its to DTD or just inside the resort.

The best thing about SSR is the proximity to Turf Club for dinner! LOVE that place!

We own at both places and enjoy our stays at SSR but must agree with Diane, when we're at SSR it's like a large apartment complex and at OKW it's like we're in a neighborhood. Give SSR a chance, you'll enjoy it, we always stay in congress park with the DTD view and about a 10min walk there it's our favorite section.

We own at OKW and just came back from SSR. We enjoyed it very much as the grounds are beautiful! We booked a deluxe studio as it was just the 2 of us and wanted to save points and absolutely loved the room. I missed the roomy balcony, but since it was just the 2 of us we were more than comfortable. We are of the minority in that we dont care for the studios in OKW as they feel like a hotel room with the 2 double beds - which are GREAT for families or when vacationing with friends and no spouses, but we like a sitting area in our studios. The pool was great, On the Rocks pool bar was a great place to unwind and the busses were timely. OKW is laid back, lush and tropical and SSR is more upscaled in themeing but still very inviting and not pretentious in any way. I would definitely stay there again! With that being said, I am still looking forward to returninng to OKW next trip home. :goodvibes

Have fun and enjoy the different scenery! Its part of the excitement! :cheer2:

OMG I feel much better now myself!!! I've stayed at OKW before and am leaving tomorrow a.m. for SSR and I was so worried I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I personally love the tropical feel of OKW but now I know I'll enjoy SSR as well even though it is very different. :cool1:

I like both resorts. Rooms at OKW are bigger. SSR has a more upscale feel and is more spread out because there's more green space. We enjoyed staying in the Grandstand area because of bus pick-up and proximity to the quiet pool. It was a short walk to the main building/pool from our location. The best part was the boat to Downtown Disney. I'd stay there again.

We have stayed about both resorts and we like SSR much better. Food options are great. The lay out of the resort is nice if you just want to take a walk. We like to stay at the Spring section since it is close to everything.

We own both and love both, but OKW is still our absolute favorite. DW and I are doing studios now, since both kids don't come with us anymore (and the point reallocations have screwed us over) so we actually prefer the SSR studios since there is a sofa there. However, SSR is way more spread out than OKW is. Food is better at SSR and we like the quietness and remoteness of some of the SSR buildings.

We find that OKW, SSR, and Kidani all have a similar feel as far as quiet atmosphere, service, and overall feel of the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter