• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How does sharing a meal and getting a drink at BOG breakfast work?...

DisBuckMan

DIS Veteran
I see a ton of people asking about sharing meals at BOG, so I'm curious. For those of you who share meals at BOG at breakfast time, how do you go about getting the extra drink(s)? It's a prie fixe menu, so according to the menu, the only way to get an additional beverage outside the one ordered with the meal is to buy a souvenier cup. Do you just go get yourself a free drink anyway, or is there an option when you order online or at the kiosk to order extra drinks without having to order a complete meal? I realize there is a drink station, but that doesn't mean it's a free-for-all if you didn't pay for a drink.

You can pay for another drink. My husband orderd his own meal and wanted 2 perriers. He had to pay for the 2nd Perrier a la carte.

It's a counter-service restaurant for breakfast, so you can purchase all the drinks you like. :)

When I went in May, they would not let me purchase a second drink a la carte. I don't know if this has changed, but they were actually pretty rude about not letting me (it seemed like it was frequent, frustrating request for the cast member).

You can pay for another drink. My husband orderd his own meal and wanted 2 perriers. He had to pay for the 2nd Perrier a la carte.
When we went, we did get an extra cup of water, but I didn't see any way to order an extra drink on the kiosk. At least not an extra soda/iced tea/coffee drink. Maybe a bottled drink is different? Note that orange juice is served from the fountain drink dispenser.
It is unique in that it is a Prie Fixe QS priced at $21.99/person.
Like OP, I wonder if this is correct.
Last I checked, it was $19.99. Did they raise the (already astronomical) price?

Does it still hold true that adults can order a kids meal and are charged the lower child price? Honestly the kids selections look as appealing if not more appealing than the adult ones.

When we went, we did get an extra cup of water, but I didn't see any way to order an extra drink on the kiosk. At least not an extra soda/iced tea/coffee drink. Maybe a bottled drink is different? Note that orange juice is served from the fountain drink dispenser.

Last I checked, it was $19.99. Did they raise the (already astronomical) price?

Yes
The new cost for the permanent breakfast is now $21.99/adult I believe this goes into effect in October

Because it's prix fixe I still have a hard time believing they allow a res for 5 but only deduct 3 meals from DDP if that is all that is ordered
If anyone did do this, please let me know the details.

Because it's prix fixe I still have a hard time believing they allow a res for 5 but only deduct 3 meals from DDP if that is all that is ordered
If anyone did do this, please let me know the details.
Lots of people have done this. Granted, I wasn't on the dining plan, but we had a reservation for three but purchased two meals.

Lots of people also agree with you. I (and many others) were certain that they wouldn't make breakfast permanent until they could figure out how to charge everyone walking through the door. We've been proven wrong.:confused3

Lots of people have done this. Granted, I wasn't on the dining plan, but we had a reservation for three but purchased two meals.

Lots of people also agree with you. I (and many others) were certain that they wouldn't make breakfast permanent until they could figure out how to charge everyone walking through the door. We've been proven wrong.:confused3
Thanks! I guess that is the difference, being on the DDP or not and having to make reservation for QS. All seems sketchy to me

Well I'm glad they did make it permanent so time will tell for me I guess.
Will I be paying 13.99 for kelloggs cereal or not...lol

When I went in May, they would not let me purchase a second drink a la carte. I don't know if this has changed, but they were actually pretty rude about not letting me (it seemed like it was frequent, frustrating request for the cast member).

Exactly why I asked the question. I talked with someone earlier today who got back from Disney not long ago, and ran into the same situation as you. Being prix fixe, and with the menu not showing the option to purchase "just a drink", I'm interested in learning how those who have shared meals have done the drink thing, without just simply taking one for free. The only way to get an extra drink according to the menu is to order a souvenir cup.

Yes
The new cost for the permanent breakfast is now $21.99/adult I believe this goes into effect in October

No surprise if it is, got to make up for all those coming in and not eating. :duck:

We tried it, it was something different but not worth the price and doubt I'd return OOP.

Wonder if it will jump again in January when new prices hit if they continue to allow folks to share.

So if there is two us and we want to share a meal, we still have to pay 21.99 each? Correct?

No, right now you only pay for what you order which is why folks are sharing meals. If two of you share one meal, then you pay only for one meal. All meals cost the same price.

In a true Prix Fixe restaurant, everyone pays the same price. So every diner would be charged regardless of how much they ate. For now Disney is calling it that, but not implementing it.

So if there is two us and we want to share a meal, we still have to pay 21.99 each? Correct?

If that was true, people wouldn't share meals.

In your case, you would pay for one meal. One of you would be without a drink unless you took a drink that wasn't paid for which many are doing, which results in those price increases we are seeing.

Lets say you have reserved an 8am breakfast with four in your party, two adults and two children and I order one adult meal and one kid meal and the four of us share it. Now technically that is just two meals. Will the other two members of my party be charged a $10 fee? They have a $10 cancel within 24 hours/no show fee. I'm not sure what exactly qualifies here and seems to be a "grey area".

Lets say you have reserved an 8am breakfast with four in your party, two adults and two children and I order one adult meal and one kid meal and the four of us share it. Now technically that is just two meals. Will the other two members of my party be charged a $10 fee? They have a $10 cancel within 24 hours/no show fee. I'm not sure what exactly qualifies here and seems to be a "grey area".

No. It's $10 per person if no one shows up or you cancel after midnight before.

Personally, I've never heard of any restaurant forcing you to order food that you don't want. I have heard of split fee for sharing plates.

In our family of light eaters, we are relying on sharing plates and although we love leftovers, the idea of walking around the parks with them all day is just not an option. We hate wasting food and can only justfy the exorbitant cost is by splitting plates. Important to us paying OOP.

In our family of light eaters, we are relying on sharing plates and although we love leftovers, the idea of walking around the parks with them all day is just not an option. We hate wasting food and can only justfy the exorbitant cost is by splitting plates. Important to us paying OOP.

Maybe grab a sandwich from Sleepy Hollow then? Or something light from Starbucks? Then you you can enjoy dinner at BoG at a time when you feel like eating more.

Your post shows whats going on. Its not that you are light eaters or hate wasting food. Its the cost. The sentence "We hate wasting food and can only justfy the exorbitant cost is by splitting plates." says it all. If the issue is being a light eater or wasting food, why is cost even a factor?

At least you are honest. Because the cost really is the bulk of the problem here and other excuses are being thrown around instead. I get that the meal is overpriced for many peoples opinion (including mine). I get that we all want to save money. But the actions of splitting plates and taking free drinks (for those doing it) penalize full paying patrons. How?

When you split a meal you are taking up a seat that could (and would) be used by a person who orders a meal. In 2 seats, Disney is getting paid for 1 meal whereas they should be getting paid for 2. This is not McDonalds where you can just run in and hang with your friends and not eat. Its an overwhelmingly popular restaurant where seating is very hard to come by (using "you" in a general sense here). How does Disney react? They up the price for everyone (which they just did).

Just because its happening doesn't mean its allowed. It means that Disney is working on a solution to the problem and it hasn't been implemented yet. We know right from wrong and the well Disney is allowing it excuse is just that.....an excuse. If this trend keeps happening, BoG will be another restaurant you pay in full for when you book. Is that what people want? Disney isn't going to keep giving away drinks for free. They aren't going to keep serving a tray of pastries for a party of 4 who orders 1 childs meal (yes, someone in another thread said their party of 4 adults split 1 childs meal and shared the tray of pastries and all 4 had coffee). Four people had breakfast for $11.99. Anyone with a brain will know Disney is going to put a stop to that.

Its really simple to just eat somewhere else for breakfast and then go to BoG at lunch or dinner where you can at least order and pay for your own drink. People feel so entitled now days. It blows my mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter