How does Poly resort layout compare to AKL/WL's?

TsLoveMickey

Mouseketeer
The title sums up my question; we stayed at and loved both VWL and AKL-Jambo, especially everything in one building and the peacefulness/wow factors. My dad is coming this time for his first ever trip and I want to stay somewhere with this wow factor. I know Poly buildings are not connected -- how does this compare to WL/AKL? Do you find yourself passing thru the lobby/common areas still? I'm leaning toward AKL because it's amazing and we could book a two bedroom (vs two studios at Poly villas). However Poly is on my Disney bucket list! Thoughts?

The Polynesian is multiple buildings like the PO resorts or GF. You don't need to pass through the lobby to get to the bus or the boat. Or to go to the pool. But Captain Cook's is in the main building (and at the back side of the building-so no need to pass through the main lobby). You do need to go through the main lobby to go to the monorail.

Yes, you will still pass through the lobby/common areas to access the monorail. If you are staying in Poly studios, there will be no need to go through the lobby to access the buses or the pool.

IMHO, though I like the new tiki in the lobby, the Poly lobby does not have the same wow factor as the AKL or WL lobbies. What Poly will offer is, obviously, different theming and monorail access to EP and MK. If you are looking for that wow factor, stick with AKL. Also, honestly, I would MUCH rather have a 2-bedroom villa at AKL over 2 studios at Poly. Gotta love the kitchen and W/D!

In inclement weather we like that WL and AKL are under one roof. Walking to a separate building in the rain eliminates some of the benefits of enclosed hallways for us. Poly is spread out over a much larger area. We do like that from Poly you could walk to the TTC for direct Epcot monorail access, totally bypassing the lobby and even the MK monorail loop.

In my opinion in order of WOW factor for lobbies--1. AKL, 2. WL, 3. Poly. Although the overall theming of the south seas at the Poly has always been my favorite, I would not hesitate to go to either of the other resorts. As previous poster has stated, what I liked too about Poly was the fact that you could walk directly to the TTC instead of going through the lobby for the Monorail. This is especially true from some of the DVC rooms. Also, walking to the TTC is especially convenient if you are headed to EPCOT and not MK since you can get a direct train instead of transferring. The Poly is convenient to a lot of food venues, not only at the Poly, but also the GF and CR.

If I had to choose between the 3 resort options you mentioned, I would go wherever you could get the best deal since none, in my opinion, would be a disappointment and all have their own special charms. Have a great time!

The grounds, especially after the building of the DVC, are what wows at the Poly. That along with the best transportation options on the grounds. You have the resort monorail, the resort launch to MK, a 3-5 minute walk to the TTC for the express and Epcot monorails and Lynx buses, and the Disney bus system at the resort itself. There is also a beautiful and relaxing 10-15 minute walk to GF. For us, it's not about the lobby and we rarely use it but it's there when we need it.

We prefer staying at AKL. Having stayed at all the ones you referred to we prefer the fact Jambo is all inside, the lobby is stunning, it's a little more quiet than the monorail resorts, and we love being able to sit on the balcony and see the savannah at night. It's a wonderful experience, and having brought our 2yo son and my Mom for the first time this past year we loved watching their excitement in seeing the resort for the first time.

In my opinion in order of WOW factor for lobbies--1. AKL, 2. WL, 3. Poly. Although the overall theming of the south seas at the Poly has always been my favorite, I would not hesitate to go to either of the other resorts. As previous poster has stated, what I liked too about Poly was the fact that you could walk directly to the TTC instead of going through the lobby for the Monorail. This is especially true from some of the DVC rooms. Also, walking to the TTC is especially convenient if you are headed to EPCOT and not MK since you can get a direct train instead of transferring. The Poly is convenient to a lot of food venues, not only at the Poly, but also the GF and CR.

If I had to choose between the 3 resort options you mentioned, I would go wherever you could get the best deal since none, in my opinion, would be a disappointment and all have their own special charms. Have a great time!
I'd put GF before the Polynesian since the renovation of the lobby at the Polynesian.

We went to Lobby freq when at Poly. All the food is in GCH, the resort shops and monorail.

While the Poly's lobby isn't as grand as AKL, its hardly a bad lobby. How much time do you spend in the lobby anyway? Don't forget that at the Poly, you can watch Wishes from the beach or your room, depending on the view you get. That's a much better wow factor to me than a nice lobby. During the day you can pull up a lounge chair or hammock on the beach and gaze at Cindy's castle. While you may have to walk to a separate building, it can be a shorter walk than at AKL where the hallways can seem endless.

What is not equal about your comparison though?
The old lobby had the grand waterfall with all the plants. It looked more majestic. Now it is just a lobby with a statue in it. Boring. The GF has the impressive sky lights in the ceiling. The piano player. The orchestra at times during the day. The plants and furniture and other decorations just seem grander.

The old lobby had the grand waterfall with all the plants. It looked more majestic. Now it is just a lobby with a statue in it. Boring. The GF has the impressive sky lights in the ceiling. The piano player. The orchestra at times during the day. The plants and furniture and other decorations just seem grander.

Close...it's that the lobby under the red roof costs you $100-150 more per night...and it's 250 feet away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter