• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how does Kids club open house impact kid left in kids club?

CanuckOnaBoat

Mouseketeer
I've seen this come up a few times now - there are a lot more open houses in the kids club. I'm sensing a lot of people think this is not a good idea. Why? How does it impact the kids checked-into regular kids club?

I want to leave my kid in Oceaneer club or lab on their own (without us). If there is an open house at the same time - how does that affect their time/experience in the club?

If you leave your child in the Club and while he's there there's an Open House in the Club, at least on Dream, I assume he'll be moved to the Lab. Kids (club/lab age) canNOT be at the Open House without a parent there.

We couldn't drop DS off at the Open House side without us staying there (didn't even think to take him to the other "side"). Changed our plans b/c of it.

Open Houses can feel "bad" because the kids can't be alone.

Kids in Club/lab are in secured programming as a rule. When an open house occurs in one (club or lab) the kids in secured programming get taken to the non-open house area (club or lab). All kids in club/lab need to be signed in or out by a parent unless you have given permission for in/out privileges. Kids in the older clubs have in/out privileges always and can come and go as they desire. When there is not an open house, only the kids registered with that club can be in the space.
Open house means anyone can go into that space, adults, teens, etc.

Is this the case with kids over 8 with check out privileges? I would assume they could stay without and adult and just officially check themselves out, no?

If you leave your child in the Club and while he's there there's an Open House in the Club, at least on Dream, I assume he'll be moved to the Lab. Kids (club/lab age) canNOT be at the Open House without a parent there.

We couldn't drop DS off at the Open House side without us staying there (didn't even think to take him to the other "side"). Changed our plans b/c of it.

Open Houses can feel "bad" because the kids can't be alone.

yes, this is what happens, they move the kids.

I'll also note, it can be pretty crowded during open house -- both the side with the open house (duh, grownups are there too) and the side without, as it has all the secured kids.

The only time that both club and labs are an open house are on embarkation day and Castaway day (I am 99% sure of this, lol). At that time your child can technically come and go as they please if you are not supervising them.

The other times that there is an open house it is in either the club or the lab. At that time, any child already checked in will be moved to the area that is not an open house.

So for example. If the open house is from 2-4pm in the Lab, any child already checked into the Lab prior to that time will be moved over to the club for secure programming.
BUT, if the open house is from 2-4pm in the Lab, and it is 2:30, you have three choices, check your child in at the club for secured programming or stay with them in the Lab and supervise them or leave them unattended in the Lab

I have to go check the navigators but they scaled back hours on day one. I will look up exact times but from when we sailed in december to when we sailed in march- less secure hours on day one. I know this because we have one child who wants to be dropped off right away.

Just off a B2B on the Dream and on embarkation day the Oceaneer's Club and Lab were both in Open House until 5:30pm at which time the Club opened and the Lab stayed in Open House until 6:30pm; after that only one was in Open House at a time so if there was an Open House they moved the kids that were checked in over to the "secured" side. On Castaway Cay day, they opened at 3pm (Lab) and 5pm (Club); however, we had bad weather, so they opened them earlier in the day.

I just got off the Dream and when I went to pick up my son during secure times they were having parents go get there children them selves. I thought that was odd as I have read hear that this was not allowed. Don't know if things have changed.

Is this the case with kids over 8 with check out privileges? I would assume they could stay without and adult and just officially check themselves out, no?

They could check themselves out, but they need to be with an adult if they are going to stay for club/lab Open House.

I just got off the Dream and when I went to pick up my son during secure times they were having parents go get there children them selves. I thought that was odd as I have read hear that this was not allowed. Don't know if things have changed.

Parents are always sent to get the kids. They do NOT go get them for you.

They could check themselves out, but they need to be with an adult if they are going to stay for club/lab Open House.

kids can be in the Open House without a parent. They just won't be supervised by the CM. On embarkation day we did this with my 7 and 8 year old during open house. When they were done they knew my husband was waiting in the comfy chairs on deck 5.

Last edited:
The only time that both club and labs are an open house are on embarkation day and Castaway day (I am 99% sure of this, lol). At that time your child can technically come and go as they please if you are not supervising them.

The other times that there is an open house it is in either the club or the lab. At that time, any child already checked in will be moved to the area that is not an open house.

So for example. If the open house is from 2-4pm in the Lab, any child already checked into the Lab prior to that time will be moved over to the club for secure programming.
BUT, if the open house is from 2-4pm in the Lab, and it is 2:30, you have three choices, check your child in at the club for secured programming or stay with them in the Lab and supervise them or leave them unattended in the Lab
They have open house times everyday.

Children are welcome to be in the Club/Lab when they are in open house, with or without a parent. If the child is still there when secured programming begins, they will be checked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter