• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How does GAY days effect the parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rotfl:

We're going in Dec, but I think it's too late for my son anyway. He was a pretty princess for Halloween last year, per his request:
PrettyPrincess-1.jpg

So maybe those of you that avoid gay days like the plague should stay home Dec 9-14 too, or my ds's cross-dressing might contaminate your artificial gender role abiding children.

Good for you, and your hubby, for letting your son be who he is! While I don't think that wanting to be Snow White means he's going to be gay, it's nice for him to grow up feeling secure enough to be who he wants to be.

As far as it being too early for a kid to be exposed to something, the earlier the better. The more of a big deal you make of it, the more of an issue your child will think it is. If they see two guys holding hands, and you make a big deal out of it, they will think its weird. If you just gloss over what they see and act like you don't see anything weird, then they will move on, and not really think it's a big deal.

And thus exhibit number 2 of why I want the heck out of Kentucky...
:rolleyes1
here in kentucky we believe the bible says "ADAM & EVE NOT ADAN & STEVE" to each his/her own ways. but PDA is still not too publicly accepted anywhere in the world. and i don't just mean WDW. i'm not trying to start anything but please don't blame your hate for KY since they like most states ban same sex marrage. what you do behind closed doors is what you do. what you do in public will offend some and will not both some. its a 50/50 thing anymore. (now i'm going to climb into my flame suit cause here it comes) :sad2:

It isn't that I want to put my kids in a bubble, but there is a time and a place for discussions like those and Preschool probably isn't the time. Elementary probably more doable and a more cohesive conversation. I simply have told him, Sometimes boys like to be with boys more than girls, and vice versa.

Just wanted to add that preschool IS a good time. Unless you're in the smallest of small towns most likely some of the kids at your preschool have gay or lesbian parents. Since virtually all preschools and kindergartens have an 'About My Family' unit, it stands to reason that a lot of preschoolers have already heard about families with gay or lesbian parents. At that age it's not a big deal to them - just another type of family. :)

We live in a larger, but conservative, town and it was important to us that our daughters' preschool welcome diversity. ALL the preschools we visited (at least six) said that they DID have kids with gay/lesbian parents, which surprised us. (They didn't volunteer this info - we asked.) Just something to think about for those who don't want to "expose" their kids to "that".

Sort of OT - My nieces (11 and 14) were visiting last week and I peeked in on them watching some kids show (like DeGrassi, but different) where there were some teenage girls making out. I think it was on Nickelodeon later in the evening? Anyway, the point is between the real world and the media kids are VERY aware of gays and lesbians.

To be honest i wouldn't have had a clue when Gay days was and am very surprised that a conservative company such as Disney would have a specific period set aside.
Sigh… Disney doesn’t. It’s not a Disney-sponsored event. It’s a grassroots kind of thing that started a few years ago, and it grows every year. In fact, it’s grown so much there are now two different groups of GLB&T Guests who visit Walt Disney World that same first week/weekend in June, although different parks on different days. And, um, Disney? Conservative? Are you aware how many CMs are gay? Certainly a greater percentage than is represented in the general population. Disney doesn’t discriminate.

A few observations:
= Gay Days (btw, was it really necessary to capitalize the word in the heading?) is not an anything-'sanctioned' event. It brings in money, of course the city and the tourist attractions are in favor of it.
= Sexuality is not a 'lifestyle' or a 'life choice'. It is what it is. Does anybody know anyone who woke up one day and said, "I think I'll be gay from now on"? Yeah, I didn't think so :)
= For those of you who don't want your children exposed to 'it', what will you do if one of your children realizes (different from deciding) he or she is gay? If you shield them from exposure and explanations now - and no, I'm not talking about preschoolers - how will they handle the realization? How will you?
= "The Letter" was written a few years ago, and was directed at a specific faction of participants - the over-the-top, in-your-face, for-show, shock-value ones. It was and is an excellent letter. Did it work? I don't know. Has the wdwinfo owner changed his mind about participating? Again, I don't know.

here in kentucky we believe the bible says "ADAM & EVE NOT ADAN & STEVE" to each his/her own ways. but PDA is still not too publicly accepted anywhere in the world. and i don't just mean WDW. i'm not trying to start anything but please don't blame your hate for KY since they like most states ban same sex marrage. what you do behind closed doors is what you do. what you do in public will offend some and will not both some. its a 50/50 thing anymore. (now i'm going to climb into my flame suit cause here it comes) :sad2:

I'm pretty sure nowhere in the bible does it say anything about "Adan & Steve"

I think I will avoid Kentucky like the plauge.

there's no real correlation between crossdressing and sexual preference anyway. hard as it may to believe, a man doesn't have to pretend to be a woman to love another man. 'gender confusion' is a whole other issue and even then, it's actually perfectly normal for a child at a young age to explore various things (the perennial example of the little boy trying on mommy's heels for example). but all that is really beyond the scope of this thread i think.

gay days (and there are two separate groups who compete and have their own functions - http://www.gaydays.com and http://www.gayday.com) is not a disney sanctioned function, but neither is MouseFest or ArielCon and many other functions that go on throughout the year.

the crowd impact really is minimal. it's a slow time at Disney anyway. You do see a disproportionate amount of red and presumably like-gendered couples (although from my experience, there are many groups of people rather than couples per se). Not much different on the surface than when Mommy hangs out with her best friend or Daddy hangs out with his. There is a lot of hand holding and other obvious closeness (lots of heads on shoulders on the bus for example), but there's typically no disrespectful behavior. Disney wouldn't allow it from any couple, gay or straight. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it's not as blatant as one might really expect (or perhaps hope).

Bottom line, Disney is still a family destination and most people tend to respect that. And many of the gay couples who participate in Gay Days at WDW have children of their own.

And beyond all that, it can't go unnoticed that Disney isn't exactly a good place to avoid gay people altogether any day of the year.

All that aside, I happened to be in MK for a period of time this previous year due to a tour and checking out other things. It didn't seem particularly crowded to me at all, but the red shirts are definitely noticeable. I took this shot mid-morning from the train station:

159250526-L.jpg

i'm pretty sure you won't see anyone dressed or behaving inappropriately in it, but I didn't study it all that hard either.

Thats what i was referring to when i was saying that Dinsey seems conservative, probably should have said the USA seems very conservative as you all seem to be big church going folk which is something that is quite unusual around these parts. In fact, in our street of 50 houses i know of only 3 households where the occupants go to church and they consist of 2 elderley widows and 2 elderley lesbians.

here in kentucky we believe the bible says "ADAM & EVE NOT ADAN & STEVE" to each his/her own ways.
Here in the common sense world we believe the bible was written by actual human beings and included their biases and opinions.
We don’t hate Kentucky, we feel sorry for people who won’t think for themselves and form their own ideas.
We don’t see any reason to ban same-sex marriage, marriage being a legal contract, not a religious one, but feel if your church wants to refuse to perform religious weddings that’s their right.
We believe airing your biases publicly but thinking it’s wrong to just ‘be homosexual’ unless it’s behind closed doors is small-minded.

Good for you, and your hubby, for letting your son be who he is! While I don't think that wanting to be Snow White means he's going to be gay, it's nice for him to grow up feeling secure enough to be who he wants to be.

As far as it being too early for a kid to be exposed to something, the earlier the better. The more of a big deal you make of it, the more of an issue your child will think it is. If they see two guys holding hands, and you make a big deal out of it, they will think its weird. If you just gloss over what they see and act like you don't see anything weird, then they will move on, and not really think it's a big deal.

I also don't think it'll make him gay, but man, some of the comments we got. My fave was how he's going to hell now, and it's all my fault. Hey, what can I say? I don't want to be there alone! :rotfl2:

I completely agree about not making a big deal out of things. In the case of my ds wearing dresses - I indulged, bought him a couple, and the phase wore off after a few weeks. Pants are just easier to play in. ;)

Eh, it's not just Kentucky - I'm in a 'progressive' state surrounded by some that feel the same, though it's not in the bible and not an idea I agree with either.

Don't judge all Americans (or Kentucky folks) based on the some that feel that way. No one can speak for all residents of a particular state.

(I have a very close, gay friend whose parter and himself live in KY!)

by the way i grew up in So Cal. were gays are accepted. i on the other hand don't accept it and if my kids want to be, well what ever they want to be, then it's there choice. at least in Ky there is still grassroots living. familys still care for one another. in cali it's who are you and gas is who much now?:rotfl: for now i tolerate gays and til it is taught in schools that its ok for boys to dress up like girls or boys to kiss boys (i hope this NEVER happens) then i will think its ok to do what ever you want behind closed doors. :woohoo:
here is an idea:idea: why don't we leave all the :confused: bashing alone and start to enjoy the DIS.:hippie:

at least in Ky there is still grassroots living. familys still care for one another.

:rolleyes: Of course, I forgot - only hetero conservative fundie christian families can be happy and loving.

And the horror! Tolerance and acceptance being taught in school? That would surely mean the end of the world.

Some people make me feel really sad for the world my children will be growing up in. :(

by the way i grew up in So Cal. we gays are accepted. i on the other hand don't accept it and if my kids want to be, well what ever they want to be, then it's there choice. at least in Ky there is still grassroots living. familys still care for one another. in cali it's who are you and gas is who much now?:rotfl: for now i tolerate gays and til it is taught in schools that its ok for boys to dress up like girls or boys to kiss boys (i hope this NEVER happens) then i will think its ok to do what ever you want behind closed doors. :woohoo:
here is an idea:idea: why don't we leave all the :confused: bashing alone and start to enjoy the DIS.:hippie:

I'm gay and from So Cal and care deeply for my family. How dare you insinuate otherwise. How insulting!

"we gays are accepted" You're gay?

"For now" you tolerate gays? Oh THANK YOU SO MUCH! I am so grateful that you "tolerate" me

"til it is taught in schools that its ok for boys to dress up like girls or boys to kiss boys (i hope this NEVER happens) then i will think its ok to do what ever you want behind closed doors" So when you are told it is ok by teachers, you will follow and accept it?

You are doing the bashing.

Eh, it's not just Kentucky - I'm in a 'progressive' state surrounded by some that feel the same, though it's not in the bible and not an idea I agree with either.

Don't judge all Americans (or Kentucky folks) based on the some that feel that way. No one can speak for all residents of a particular state.

(I have a very close, gay friend whose parter and himself live in KY!)
i have many gay friends. 2 work with DW. they are the coolest people i know. they DON"T kiss in public cause they know some others will say something (not always out loud) i normally don't get mad but when others say that a "CHIOCE" you makes should be protected by law, what by the consitution you are already protected and 11 states have passed laws against it should we still accept it? i accept it. but when it gets to a point where lots of PDA and parents have to explain to there kids why the people are acting a certain way. this post is making me :rotfl2: :lmao: . it's a choice. you are not born that way.

:rotfl:

We're going in Dec, but I think it's too late for my son anyway. He was a pretty princess for Halloween last year, per his request:
PrettyPrincess-1.jpg

So maybe those of you that avoid gay days like the plague should stay home Dec 9-14 too, or my ds's cross-dressing might contaminate your artificial gender role abiding children.

I'm half way through this but I've got to say GOOD FOR YOU!! I started reading and assumed your son was much older. When I saw his picture I was thrilled that you let him be what he wanted to be and didn't worry about stereotypes.

i missed 2 letters. nope i'm not gay. ADAM & EVE NOT ADAM & STEVE

The bible also doesnt mention "Adam & Steve"
I doubt you have gay friends, or maybe they just tolerate you.
When did you choose to be straight? Is it the gay sex you didnt like?

I'm so glad this thread makes you laugh. No one's laughing with you.

I just got back last night, and I happened to buy a picture frame magnet of Minnie and Mickey kissing. Damn those two PDA'ers. And to heck with all those people who get married there and kiss in front of other people. Oh, and I probably should burn (delete) the picture of my husband and I sharing a kiss in front of the castle, not to mention all those pix of my dd4 kissing Minnie, that darned lesbian.

I just got back last night, and I happened to buy a picture frame magnet of Minnie and Mickey kissing. Damn those two PDA'ers. And to heck with all those people who get married there and kiss in front of other people. Oh, and I probably should burn (delete) the picture of my husband and I sharing a kiss in front of the castle, not to mention all those pix of my dd4 kissing Minnie, that darned lesbian.

Now THAT made me laugh!

i have many gay friends. 2 work with DW... ... it's a choice. you are not born that way.

You've made it clear that you are not gay, so who are you to declare that it's a choice? Please ask your "many gay friends" and get back to us with their thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter