How does Disney measure height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vipper of Vipp

Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!
Are they sticklers? Are they precise?

Reason I ask is that my 3 1/2 year old is 39.75 inches and with shoes is right at 40". I mean right there. I'm 100% my measurement is dead on accurate.

I don't want to get in arguments if their measuring device (Goofy's hand) is off a bit?

Or do they have them stand next to it and if close, they wave them through?

He definitely likes the big boy rides and I don't want to have to put him on the rack before the trip...

I will be waiting with baited breathe on this answer.

DD is exactly 40" also and DS is Exactly 44" we have all kinds of drama in the works.

If I recall correctly, they have places to check heights at the entrance of the line and nearer to the front of the line. From what I've read here, your experience can vary! Not all height indicators seem to be accurate. Kids have passed at the back of the line, only to be turned away at the front of the line by the next CM.

It was in 2005 that we had somebody right at 40" and I don't remember having any trouble, though she didn't want to go on most of the big rides.

They have a stick (like an upside down L) that they make them stand under. If their head doesn't hit, they don't go on. In my experience, they are sticklers and do not use the "close enough" kind of attitude.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be all that consistent from ride to ride, so your child may get on one 40 inch ride, but not the next.

Practice with your child standing up straight. My kids always had the tendency to duck because they didn't want to hit their heads. The goal here IS to hit, so practice and make sure your child understands that.

They are extremely strict and measure both before getting in the queue and again before actually getting on the ride, so it's entirely possible he might get through some times and not others, or even get to wait in line and then be turned away at the actual line. The measuring bar is shaped like an L and if the kid can fit under it, then he/she is not allowed on the ride. They do measure with shoes *unless* the shoes look really really thick, in which case they measure without.

There is no point in arguing, the height requirements are there for safety and absolutely nothing you could say will convince Disney to jeopardize your child's safety. I've heard of people asking for managers and even area managers and their kid is still not allowed on the ride. All that arguing about it will do is ruin your day, your family's day, the cast member's day (and believe me, having a parent mad at you is *not* worth losing your job over), and the day of all the guests around you.

I do wish they'd just have a definitive measurer at Guest Relations and then give the kid a wristband with different colors for different height ranges (then each CM could just be trained what color wristbands are allowed/not allowed on that attraction).

Are they sticklers: Yes
Are they precise: Not even close and almost random between 40" and 41".

They use a "measuring stick" which isn't a ruler but just a stick with a bar going across of unknown actual height. For children on the margin, it is quite possible for your child to pass the bar at the entry and then fail right before getting on the line (another CM with another measuring stick) and not be allowed on the ride. Also those sticks seem to take into account a small amount of sneaker height so exactly 40" with sneakers may have difficulty. Generally for 100% reliable passing of the height stick a child must be 41" without shoes.

Tricks of the trade are to go on the big rides first thing in the morning when a person is their tallest, as they shrink slightly during the day due to spinal compression. Also you may have to try multiple times on multiple days. Be prepared for disappointment and being able to ride one time but not another. This is one area Disney is almost a total failure. Measuring height should be a precise and repeatable activity for guests safety but it is neither.

Another suggestion I would have is try to ride early in the day. Gravity can cause people to shrink slightly during the day. It's not a lot but when 1/4" could stand between ridinig and not riding it can be importatnt.

I do wish they'd just have a definitive measurer at Guest Relations and then give the kid a wristband with different colors for different height ranges (then each CM could just be trained what color wristbands are allowed/not allowed on that attraction).

Brilliant Idea.

No experience other than what I've read here so far but the other posters have summed it up. Sticklers - yep. Precise - no. I am not looking forward to the possiblity of making it through the front measure only to be told he can't get on later but what are you gonna do? Like someone said, acting like a first class butthole will just ruin YOUR day.

I do wish they had something that was at least more precise. I'd like a measuring station with wristbands but you know people would try to get around it by switching armbands or whatever.

So we're going in with the attitude of if he gets to ride....yahoo! Another thing to keep in mind is that as the day wears on you can kind of shrink a bit (and heck even slouch more) so try the 40in. rides early morning.

There is a decided lack of consistency from ride to ride, from CM to CM and even sometimes between the front of the line and the loading area of the same ride. There's also no guarantee that what you measure as 40" will match the Disney measuring poles; and guess whose measurement counts?

As a result, a child who is on the border line is likely to be able to ride some rides with a 40" limit and not others. It's even possible that they will be able to ride a given ride once and then not be able to ride when they return.

In general, the CM at the entrance to a ride will check a child who is close to the limit as you enter. The child will be asked to stand by a pole that has an extension coming out of one side. If their head is under the extension, no ride. If their head is above the extenstion, they're OK. I've never seen a child be asked to remove normal shoes, but there have been reported cases of kids with shoes that are obviously extra high being asked to remove their shoes. It's possible that a child will be checked again at the boarding area of the ride and sometimes at the point where the FastPass and regular lines come together. Children have been known to get an OK at the entrance and then be denied at the second check.

So, the best advice is to prepare your child for all of this and hope for the best.

No experience other than what I've read here so far but the other posters have summed it up. Sticklers - yep. Precise - no. I am not looking forward to the possiblity of making it through the front measure only to be told he can't get on later but what are you gonna do? Like someone said, acting like a first class butthole will just ruin YOUR day.

I do wish they had something that was at least more precise. I'd like a measuring station with wristbands but you know people would try to get around it by switching armbands or whatever.

So we're going in with the attitude of if he gets to ride....yahoo! Another thing to keep in mind is that as the day wears on you can kind of shrink a bit (and heck even slouch more) so try the 40in. rides early morning.

Dang 1 day to go. I can't wait until I see that!

Busch Gardens does this and I love them for it. It's right in the front of the park too so it's easy to do and just go for the day. My kid didn't like the color she got but it was accurate and she just had to deal with missing the big thrill coasters.

I'm expecting some drama with EE. I swore dd was tall enough but it's just barely there with her shoes on. She's like 43.75 without. Ugh.

A couple of years ago, my son was just barely 40 inches with shoes. Make sure you get a pair of shoes with thick soles.:thumbsup2 If you put a hat on your child, they will make them take it off when measuring. We never had anyone at the 2nd check point turn my child away. This was usually just a quick look. Standing up straight does make a difference. If your son is measuring 40 inches with shoes on, you probably won't have any trouble. :)

You would think that height measurement should be relatively precise...but no. We never really had this problem because my children did not want to go on any of the rides with height restrictions until they were well above the required height. Standing up straight is important. If your child is borderline, but really wants to go on a ride, you can also try different shoes, since some shoes have thicker soles than others. Athletic shoes tend to have thicker soles than sandals. Of course, you also should be using comfortable, worn-in shoes to avoid painful, tired feet.

HGH, it works for the professional ball players and I bet if you use enough he could ride RnR by your trip.

I was in the same place that Vipper of Vipp (first poster). I measured DD almost every day prior to our trip and gave her lessons on how to stand when someone other than me tried to measure her.

I was really thorough on my measurements. We reached 40" with shoes when leaving for WDW, so I was a bit nervous.

She was measured, but she made it to every ride. At Dinosaur she had 1/2 an inch to spare, at Test Track she was not even measured (she didn't like TT anyway), at Splash Mtn she also bumped her head with the top easily and at Soaring no Cast Member had doubts about her riding the attraction. She even passed (barely) with her crocs on.

The one that proved more difficult was Tower of Terror (DD asked for that ride). That was because the measuring stick is just on the top of the entrance ramp. So if your child doesn't stand right below the bar, she / he will be turned away. To make matters worse the CM didn't want to bend and have a look. At last he called a supervisor who made my DD stand properly, reaching the bar. The funniest thing is that when we were about to board the elevator, she got scared and we left the attraction.

To sum up, if you do your homework at home and you are certain that your measure method is accurate enough, you should be fine.

Of course, there's always the chance that you get turned away by a Cast Member (prepare your child for that event - I did with mine), but in our case they were always very helpful, without putting too much stress on our child (except for our friend at Tower of Terror).

Hope it helps, have fun,

Mx

Another tip is to have them stretch everyday. Stretch straight up with hands up in the air, it stretches and straightens out the spine and can give up to 1/4" for adults. Not sure about kids, but its worth a shot :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter