How do your dress for dinner - poll time :)

How do you dress for dinner?

• Always Always dress up - suits, tux, gown w/ matching Cinderella slippers

• Only dress up (really nice) for formal nights

• Dress nicer for formal nights but not formal, more casual other nights

• Dress casual all nights

• Dress on the lower end of casual every night - might even be in my PJ's

• Don't want to deal with dressing up at all so eat elsewhere

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't work outside of the home so I don't have very many opportunities to dress up other than a casual dress to church. I think it's fun and makes me feel young, like going to the prom. I also love the photo opportunities with family that I would never get at home. On cruise casual nights the guys have started wearing cargo or plaid type shorts with golf shirts. I think it still looks nice. I actually prefer to wear a comfortable pull over sun dress on those nights rather than shorts or capris. It's cheap, comfortable and easy.

We dress up for pirate night. Sometimes in full pirate gear and sometimes in a pirate t shirt.

My husband wears suits, ties, etc for his job. My kids wear collared polo shirts and khakis everyday for school. This is why they wear shorts and t-shirts to the dining room. My DD will wear a skirt or dress sometimes.

I don't work. I'm either at the gym or running outside, cleaning the house and doing umpteen projects on the house we just moved into. I'm in athletic clothes all the time. This is why I wear dresses and skirts to dinner mixed in with dressier shorts and tops.

My DH doesn't get to dress nice for work so weekends and such he dresses up nicer. I have to dress nice all week so when I'm not at work I love being able to wear my casual clothes. I am sure we look funny together sometimes.

I don't know if I can get my DH and DS to dress like a pirate but I think it would be fun. Any suggestions? All I have is the bandana they gave us on our last cruise. I also really don't need to spend a lot. I just broke down and bought a Kyss bag.

I've not been on a DCL cruise, but have been on other "high end" cruises. I watched the other thread about dress code, but declined to comment.

I think what causes so much angst is that our current definition of casual is very wide. There are so few hard and fast rules for dress now. I'm 46, and the few that I remember from growing up, most don't even apply any more.

I have a chart from 1915 that gives very specific rules for dress that covers 10 different times of day or activities, then lists everything from fabric to collar to handkerchief style.

I'm pretty sure nothing like that exists now, at least not in the US!

I can't vote yet, but for our upcoming cruise, I'm planing nice slacks or a simple dress for most nights. If I had nicer legs, maybe I'd wear nice shorts. :) Maybe I'll bring a nicer dress for one night - we'll see how the suitcase space shapes up.

We dress formal for formal night, long dress for my daughter and I and suits for my husband and son. Semi-formal, dress for the girls and dress pants, dress shirt for the boys. For regular dinners, we shower, refresh and dress up in maxi skirt, nice top or maxi dress and my husband will do kakhi pants and collared shirt.

For Pirate night in the past, the kids dressed up fully and my husband and I did pirate T-shirts and eye patches etc. For our Fantasy cruise in a couple of weeks we'll all be in full Pirate costumes. :) We have a lot of fun going all out.

Really go with what works for you, I love dressing up, that's what I'm most comfortable in and to me it's a fun experience with the whole family.

I think it's fun and makes me feel young, like going to the prom. I also love the photo opportunities with family that I would never get at home.

This!:thumbsup2

Makes me still feel young, and I'm in my late 50s, LOL.

My parents are long gone, and I remember how they always dressed up for parties, going out, etc. I miss that, so we dress up whenever there's an opportunity. Our formal clothes (and semi-formal) are the first items we pack.:earsgirl:

Casual clothing is so much more durable, is so much more comfortable and costs so much less than formal clothing that formal clothing doesn't make financial sense anymore just on practical grounds.

I agree with this! I dress up a bit on formal nights, but that just means nicer pants and a fancier top/blouse. I will NOT wear a gown on formal nights!!! No way!

Dressing casual is all in the eye of the beholder. It could be fine to some, but looking like a slob to others.

I dress formal or semi-formal every night except pirate night, when I wear a pirate costume of course! I ignore what everyone else is wearing and I hope they ignore me if it bothers them :) Everyone has a different idea of vacation, I chose to respect and let alone.

Same here :thumbsup2

I LIVE for pirate night! My fiance (husband) and I will be in full costumes. The easiest way to do pirate night is black pants or jeans and a white top then go all out on bandanas and maybe grab an eye patch.

We have been on 2 cruises, on the first cruise I dressed kinda formal for the formal night. And I wore shorts, a black shirt and the bandana, for the Pirate night. On the next cruise I wore a nice sundress for formal night, and shorts and a nice shirt for the rest of the nights, except pirate night where I wore the same thing as last cruise. My dad wore a nice shirt and nice shorts all nights, both cruises.

As I have posted, cruising has changed. Things that some of us would consider cruising standards, things we expect and look forward to, have fallen out of favor as cruising has gone main stream.
Things like:
1) Formal wear on formal night
2) Midnight buffet
3) Name entertainers on board
4) Late night entertainment

I did laugh looking at the "Rough Seas" thread that is up now. My first cruise was on the MS Mermoz, a 450 passenger ship with NO stabilizers. You barely feel the sea motion on modern ships. Makes wonder if the next step in cruising will be ships not leaving the dock to avoid anyone getting sea sick. :rotfl2:

I've only been on 1 cruise...2nd one in just a couple weeks!! I wore dress shorts and polo shirt to the MDR's.

This time we are doing Palo, and I will be wearling dress pants and shirt to that. I'll probably do the same for 1 or 2 of our MDR's, but did not feel uncomfortable wearing the dress shorts...there were some that were more casual than me.

Scott

We dress pretty casual. We did dress up a bit on formal night and wore pirate stuff for pirate night, but that was about it. But we are West Coast people, so that might make a little bit of a difference

I dress formal or semi-formal every night except pirate night, when I wear a pirate costume of course! I ignore what everyone else is wearing and I hope they ignore me if it bothers them :) Everyone has a different idea of vacation, I chose to respect and let alone.

I'm the same as you. I love dressing up, and a cruise is the perfect excuse. I also do not care what others are wearing. :goodvibes

What is the dress code for Palo's brunch?

Last few times I have done khakis (pants) an an untucked short sleeved button down shirt. For shoes I have closed toe sandels that are like keens, but are tan and have never had any issues.

Last few times I have done khakis (pants) an an untucked short sleeved button down shirt. For shoes I have closed toe sandels that are like keens, but are tan and have never had any issues.

Thanks! I might pack so that if we do choose to have brunch (and get reservations) we will have that option.

I'm new but I'd imagine that I'd dress up fairly nice at least once...but a cruise to me in akin to beachside lifestyle and therefore casual...it's a VACATION so if you like to dress up and that's fun that's what you do and if dressing down is a relief for you do THAT.... I absolutely will never ever understand how anyone else's attire is bothersome or a concern:confused3 I've seen a lot of that kind of conversation here and I've Ben on disboards for like 2 days :rotfl2:
In any case I'll probably dress up nice for dinners, maybe all out once and casual for breakfast and lunches...perhaps even in flip flops :beach:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter