How do you visit CBS/NBC in Manhattan? (Good info in here now!)

Barb D

DIS Veteran
When DD and I are in Manhattan we want to stop by at NBC and CBS. I know that NBC is at Rockefeller Center, but where is CBS? (I'm assuming they have some kind of store; am I right?) I can find nothing on their website that tells you where, geographically, to go.

Maybe if I actually watched the Early Show I would know this. :blush:

The headquarters known as Black Rock are on West 52nd (in the 50's someplace--you can't miss the building), the broadcast studios are on west 57th around 9th or 10th.

If you are looking for Late Night merchandise, that is sold at the Ed SUllivan Theatre, um, B'Way and W 54th I think? Might be W 53rd.

Anne

There really isn't a CBS store that I'm aware of. At least not along the lines of the NBC store. I also don't think they do studio tours either. Never heard of that one.

Thanks, folks. Maybe we'll just skip CBS. It's not like we don't have anything else to do in our 8 hours in Manhattan! DD is a huge Amazing Race fan, so I just wanted to get her to the store to check out what they have. I know we can get stuff online.

We're definitely planning on doing the NBC thing, though.

Definitely stick with NBC. The store is walking distance to Rockefeller Center, the stores along 5th Avenue (including World of Disney), Central Park, FAO Schwarz and more.

If you go the opposite direction, it's also walking distance to Times Square.

8 hours is plenty to do all of the above.

Rick, while I've got you here...

DD's highest priorities are the Empire State Building and Ground Zero, so we'll do those first and then fit in whatever else will fit. We're planning on taking the subway to Ground Zero and a cab back; does that sound reasonable? And we're expecting the subway to be about $3.00 for both of us and the cab, including tip, to be about $10. Again, reasonable? (These would be between the Empire State Building and Ground Zero.)

And from the way things look on the map everything else we want to do (Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Macy's, FAO Schwarz...) looks to be within walking distance of each other.

NBC store/tour were great. We found a little CBS store. Not a whole lot in there, but we happened by and went on in. There is a little MTV store too.

BibbidiBobbidiBOO said:
NBC store/tour were great. We found a little CBS store. Not a whole lot in there, but we happened by and went on in. There is a little MTV store too.

I was just on the NBC web page and they recommend reservations. I don't want to make them, though, because I honestly don't know how long things will take and what times we'll be at various places. Same thing with the Empire State Building. I'm just going to hope that we'll be able to get in to things...and if not, we're having an adventurous day just walking around and looking up!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seems like a good place to ask.

DH will be in Manhattan the last week of Sept. I saw a (new?) website mentioned a couple a weeks back on the news showing which steps in NY public transportation to take to get from point A to point B.

Anyone know what website that might be? It even showed how you could access it from your cell phone.

I thought it would be helpful for him. Thanks.

SplshMtn99, someone posted a website here for me recently, and it was helpful. I'm going to spend a chunk of time on it soon mapping things out. I don't know if it works from your phone or not.

Here it is:
www.hopstop.com

Barb D said:
I was just on the NBC web page and they recommend reservations. I don't want to make them, though, because I honestly don't know how long things will take and what times we'll be at various places. Same thing with the Empire State Building. I'm just going to hope that we'll be able to get in to things...and if not, we're having an adventurous day just walking around and looking up!

We also saw that they recommended reservations, but did not want to commit to it. We arrived around 10am on a Sunday in July and got in a tour 45 mins later! :) Just go upstairs and see what is available the day you want to go. If you have a big gap, go shopping!
PS-It is FREEZING in the NBC Nightly News studio!

Barb D said:

DD's highest priorities are the Empire State Building and Ground Zero, so we'll do those first and then fit in whatever else will fit. We're planning on taking the subway to Ground Zero and a cab back; does that sound reasonable? And we're expecting the subway to be about $3.00 for both of us and the cab, including tip, to be about $10. Again, reasonable? (These would be between the Empire State Building and Ground Zero.)

Subway fares are $2. I think cab fare will be more than $10 from Ground Zero to the ESB, you're going up and cross town through a lot of gridlock.

And from the way things look on the map everything else we want to do (Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, Macy's, FAO Schwarz...) looks to be within walking distance of each other.

That's a lot of walking, and frankly you're not going to get all of that done in eight hours on foot. ESB and Rock Center are close, and FAO is close to those. From there you'll want to take the subway to Times Square, and even walking from there to Macy's is eight LONG blocks.

Maybe get a "One Day Fun pass" for the subway for unlimited rides. I think it's $7 for the day. You could use the subway to get around everywhere, frankly it's probably going to be quicker than a cab from Ground Zero to the ESB.

Anne

Barb D said:

I've never waited more than about 20 minutes at the ESB.

Anne

Barb D said:

Subway is $2 per person, one way so it'd be $4 total if it's just you two. Taking a cab back could cost $15-20 back to Empire State Bldg. depending on traffic. If you're just looking to get from Ground Zero back to midtown, I would suggest you take the subway. Trains run very frequently and you'd get off at 34th Street. Then you're walking distance to Empire and Macy's.

FYI, the line to get into Empire could be HUGE. I've seen it go down the street and around the block. That doesn't include the fact that the line wraps around on different floors up to the viewing deck. It's a great view but if you're pressed for time, perhaps you'd consider Top of the Rock. Not as high up but still pretty darn high and you get the view. There's still going to be a wait, but not like Empire. And Top of the Rock is above Rockefeller Center so you'll get more done in the time you have.

If you need subway tips, let me know.

Barb D said:
I we're having an adventurous day just walking around and looking up!

Just don't get hit by a car! "I was looking up, it was the nearest thing to heaven and you were there"

Barb D said:
Maybe if I actually watched the Early Show I would know this. :blush:

We actually happened upon a CBS Early Show taping of a mini concert for Daniel Powter while there, near FAO Schwartz. We were in the "crowd" scenes. :teeth:

We walked from Times Square to FAO, around Central Park and through Strawberry fields. We did a LOT of walking. We did have a 7 day unlimited Sub pass and got our money's worth from it too. http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/
I think the Sub will be faster then a taxi from Ground Zero. Will you check out Battery Park/SOL while there?

ducklite said:
I've never waited more than about 20 minutes at the ESB.

Anne

Same here. We arrived EARLY and bought our tickets online. Get there by 9am. Crowds formed later. Kind of like at WDW! ;)

ducklite said:
Subway fares are $2. I think cab fare will be more than $10 from Ground Zero to the ESB, you're going up and cross town through a lot of gridlock.

That's a lot of walking, and frankly you're not going to get all of that done in eight hours on foot. ESB and Rock Center are close, and FAO is close to those. From there you'll want to take the subway to Times Square, and even walking from there to Macy's is eight LONG blocks.

Maybe get a "One Day Fun pass" for the subway for unlimited rides. I think it's $7 for the day. You could use the subway to get around everywhere, frankly it's probably going to be quicker than a cab from Ground Zero to the ESB.

Anne

It is indeed a lot of walking but definitely doable.

If I were to create an itinerary, then this is what I'd suggest.

Take a subway down to Ground Zero, the A, C, E will take you right there. Make sure you get off at the World Trade Center stop.

After GZ, take same subway back up town to 42nd Street. You'll come up and be one avenue over from Times Square. Walk about then head north on Broadway, enjoy the sites, then stroll over a couple of avenues and you'll keep walking north and hit Radio City. Walk down that avenue and you'll hit Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock and NBC store and studio tour.

Taking the tour might be the clincher due to time, FYI. Once done with that area, walk over to 5th AVenue and continue to head north. You'll see Sacks, Tiffany, Trump Tower, World of Disney, then FAO Schwarz and the corner of Central Park.

Barb D said:

Thanks! I'll check it out. Its a business trip, so not sure how much time he'll have to see the sites, but good to have.

I'm his resident travel agent. lol I put together an email for each trip (3 this month) with links to weather, hotel, airport map, airline, google maps, geocaches he can do, sites he can see. And I load his GPS up with maps with hotel, airport, conference location, Dunkin Donuts & ATMs pointed out. :teeth: I also keep track of all the frequent flier & hotel points programs. ;)

Sept will be busy for him. Fly home Sat am, & fly out Sun am one weekend. Why bother? So anything I can do to help him, is great!

ETA: I just went to the site. THAT'S THE ONE! THANKS!! I recognized the home page.

Thanks for all the input, everybody! I think we will take the subway to and from GZ, and save the cab trip for something shorter and sweeter. (DD wants the experience of riding in an NYC cab.) Maybe we'll do that from Rockefeller Center to the Empire State Building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter