How do you Trade pins in the parks?

They're literally all over the place. You can find pins in all of the souvenir shops and at most of the kiosks around as well. There's even a pin store set up at Disney Springs.

We have been pin trading for years. Yes it is true there are pins that are considered fakes which are in no way fakes. When the manufactures of the official Disney pins have a run of pins that for some reason or another (detail or paint or some other reason) they know will not meet Disney standards they will sell them to other vendors to distribute. And the cast members will never be able to tell the difference, not to mention the fact that in our experience in both WDW and DLR we have never encountered a cast member that refused to trade no matter what pin you offered. Also take note that the cast members are issued cast member pins which are not for sale in the parks and are marked with a silver mickey head somewhere on the pin, they come in sets of anywhere from 5 to 6 and are difficult to collect as they are only issued to the cast. You can buy the sets online but we enjoyed the thrill of the hunt trying to find enough cast members wearing them to complete our set. Also you must know that in a lot of the resorts they will have a pin trading book at the store selling pins or the kiosk in the lobby that sells pins. All in all there are a lot of places and cast members that offer the opportunity for trading pins.

How often do the cast memeber sets of pins change? And are there pins themed to certain attractions or the resort hotels? Is there anyway of telling if a particular pin is more rare than another, like an app or something?

How often do the cast memeber sets of pins change? And are there pins themed to certain attractions or the resort hotels? Is there anyway of telling if a particular pin is more rare than another, like an app or something?

Depends on how many times a day they're trading with guests. Usually it's at least once a day because they know what "good" and "bad" pins are. There are pins themed to certain attractions, resorts, parks, but they're not exclusive only at that location. You can find a pin at just about any location, if you're looking for a certain one it all comes down to luck.

For example I once found a Yacht Club pin in MGM (Hollywood Studies, still hate the new name) and then found the matching Beach Club pin over in Animal Kingdom. The pins are randomly given out and circulate around WDW everywhere.

And there are certain really limited editions that they sell, but from my knowledge most hidden mickey pin sets are produced in roughly the same quantity. It all depends on what you want to collect!

Also one other thing on the "rarity of pins" if you look up older hidden mickey sets, they're much harder to find in parks. Usually the current year of hidden mickey pins are easiest to find since there are the most of them in circulation.

I looked up this years sets and I super want to collect the Disney Villian Ties. Even though they were 2015 wave A and came out in April, how hard will it be to find those pins? I mean even eight months out will it be hard to find them or can you normally find pins with ease the first year or so they are out without to much trouble? Or is just very random and luck of the draw?

I looked up this years sets and I super want to collect the Disney Villian Ties. Even though they were 2015 wave A and came out in April, how hard will it be to find those pins? I mean even eight months out will it be hard to find them or can you normally find pins with ease the first year or so they are out without to much trouble? Or is just very random and luck of the draw?

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but finding pins of virtually any set is very random and luck of the draw. Pins released in the year have a higher probability of being found, but generally you never know what you will find, which is why it's so addicting and fun. By not making it easy to collect the entire set you in turn spend more money and time looking for specific pins and such. When I was trading I usually had a couple sets that I was looking for and would focus on them and not be too discouraged if I didn't find all them. It's rare you complete an entire set in one visit, unless the new sets were just released.

I'm going first week of February, so my plan is to pick the Disney villain ties and the Genies and try to get all of those two sets. And than find all the epcot symbols and Cast member costume ones I can. Yep haven't gotten one pin yet and I'm super into it already. I think the most fun will be trying to find all the random pin books and wierd things you can trade with. I read about King pin in animal kingdom lodge, and it sounds like the coolest D list character meet and great ever.

One other item of note, since I haven't seen it mentioned, the backs are notorious for falling off. If you have a pin you want to keep use the locking backs (sold along side pins all over property)

I assume that rule though is at the cast member discretion?

How can you tell an official Disney pin from one that is as not?
I don't think many can. We order our pins for trading in lots off eBay. The seller says they are not fake but of course they do. They aren't going to advertise fake pins. I know we are happy with them and happy to trade some, and keep some. It's up to DGD which we trade and which we keep. No one has ever said no to a trade. We've even gotten DL pins at WDW. I will have to let DGD look for the green sash. I've never noticed one but have never looked specifically either.

We do go by the rule of the CM has to NOT have that pin on their sash/lanyard. We never trade with other guests.

Are there any places in the parks that have more CMs with pins than others or does one of the parks have more than others? And I think some one mentioned getting pins from the Resorts as well? Can they really be on any CM on the property really?
I've seen every CM except for maintenance staff with pins to trade. And yes, I mean every. Even suits (aka management)
Most stores have bulletin boards too. And books at Pin stands.

I just read about king Pin in animal kingdom, or guess he is just in the lodge, but anyway is he actually a lot of fun to trade with?

King Pin (at Animal Kingdom Lodge) IS a lot of fun to trade with. He knows a lot about pins and can tell you things like what series a pin is part of, what others look like, and so on. Call to find out his schedule, because he's only there some of the time (I think it's 3-5pm weekdays).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter