How do you Trade pins in the parks?

Jon Paul

Earning My Ears
I hears you could trade pins in the parks with certain Cast Members if its true how should you do it? I heard that this is real but not sure how you do it? Never been to WDW before.

It is very real. First, you have to buy some official Disney pins (beware of fakes). They have relatively inexpensive starter sets in the parks. Whenever you see a Cast Member with a pin lanyard or sash (or however they display them) you can ask for a trade. The CM will not refuse a trade (for a legitimate Disney pin, though the fakes do make it into circulation). That's all there is to it, really.

Warning: Pin Trading can become a point of obsession and an expensive hobby. I have so far avoided this fate, but when I see pins I like, I am sometimes tempted.

Pin trading is fun. You can trade with CMs or even other park goers. As mentioned, the CMs won't refuse any trade, as long as you're giving them a Disney pin - they'll give you whichever one you like of theirs.

I haven't personally had a big problem with fakes, but I also don't care that much - my kids enjoy it, and they just trade whatever they see and like. Its fun to interact, seek out traders, get new ones, see what others have, etc. Plus, wearing their lanyards full of pins is just part of the wardrobe for our Disney trips!

This upcoming trip, they'll be popular little girls because we haven't been to WDW since they started collecting. Many of their pins are DLR-oriented, so the WDW crowd will likely be into them.

Between penny pressing machines, autographs and pins, there's so many fun little side things for kids to do - they love it, and I love watching them!

Generally they will be wearing a lapel or sash with pins on it. Just walk right up and take a look at their pins. Usually they will recognize what your doing and hold up the sash for better viewing.

Does it turn into a problem where cast member end up with a lot of the same pins from what ever the Cheapest starter set is?

Actually, I forgot, there is one instance when a CM can refuse a trade, and that is if they already have that same pin on their sash. So if you try to trade one, it has to be to a CM not displaying that pin, thus you will not see them with a sash full of the same thing.

From what I understand the CMs can swap their pins with a huge mountain of them stored deep beneath MK (or so the legend goes), to maintain variety.

And is it a little wierd for adults by them selves to be doing it with cast members?

I assume that rule though is at the cast member discretion?

Well, I suppose it is, though CMs are usually pretty well trained in the policies. They will also always try to make a guest happy and usually won't be confrontational.

I really have no first hand knowledge of how they would react as I have never done any trading (I'm just fascinated by the concept).

And is it a little wierd for adults by them selves to be doing it with cast members?

Probably no weirder than anything else adults do while at WDW. It's an inclusive environment. You'll probably feel weirder about it than anyone else, if you are already wondering about that. Many adults are serious pin collectors and I'm sure CMs see all types.

How can you tell an official Disney pin from one that is as not?

Someone else could probably give you more information about this. Usually there are tells, but some counterfeits are high-quality, and some aren't. I know you can look for colors that are off, poorly defined details (or where colors bleed together), and such. There are tells regarding the stamping on the back too, but I don't know the specifics on that.

You must have a back to your pin to trade. A CM can't accept a backless pin. DS was trading in. Japan and dropped the back as he was removing his pin from his lanyard. Luckily he had an extra back he found on the ground at our hotel in his pocket so he could still trade. We all looked everywhere including that poor CM & his back just poofed!

We snagged some very unique ones in the Kidcot areas and at our resort desks.

I happen to have spent tons of time, money and effort trading pins. I gave it up a few years ago, but still understand how the entire system works.

Does it turn into a problem where cast member end up with a lot of the same pins from what ever the Cheapest starter set is?

The quick answer to this is no. There are different types of pins and the CMs know it. Also (at least how it works in the MK) is that in the Utilidoor under the park there's actually a window that CMs go up to and hand in their lanyard, sash or whatever they're carrying pins on during breaks. The worker behind the counter will examine what was handed and see if any rare or hidden mickey pins remain on it and if there aren't a lot, they will replace them for the CM. No one wants to trade with a CM who doesn't have anything valuable.

Not at all, it's fairly common and a lot of adults have pretty extensive collections.

How can you tell an official Disney pin from one that is as not?

It's not always easy to tell as the fakes continue to improve in quality. But normally the go to ways to check are by looking at the coloring of the pin, do all of the primary colors look vibrant or not? A lot of fakes have dull colors. And another tip for determining fakes is looking at the back of the pin where the stem (I guess that's what you call the actual sharp point), if it looks off center or sloppily attached, it's probably a fake.

You must have a back to your pin to trade. A CM can't accept a backless pin. DS was trading in. Japan and dropped the back as he was removing his pin from his lanyard. Luckily he had an extra back he found on the ground at our hotel in his pocket so he could still trade. We all looked everywhere including that poor CM & his back just poofed!

We snagged some very unique ones in the Kidcot areas and at our resort desks.

In the case you lose pins backs, almost all of the places that sell pins have replacement packs that are extremely cheap compared to the price of pins.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions, I've spent a lot of time on this subject and am more than happy to share what I've learned.

I know that I do it all the time when I'm solo. It's a great ice breaker-sometimes cast members will talk a little more.

I just read in an article that cast members with green sash only trade with kids, is that true? And what is a hidden mickey pin? I have read the term a couple places but no idea what it means.

I just read in an article that cast members with green sash only trade with kids, is that true? And what is a hidden mickey pin? I have read the term a couple places but no idea what it means.

Yes, Green lanyards are only for children. Not really sure what the reason is, best guess is that Disney wants children to have more access to rare pins.

Hidden Mickey pins are the "rare" pins that people search for. They come out in different series and have a small silver mickey somewhere on them. Here's an example:

a2124f0ad380804edf248fcab804bcb5.jpg

...you mean just after they've gotten off of a flying elephant? No, not particularly. :)

Yes, green sashes are for kids under 12 only. The idea is to make sure some of the most desirable pins are accessible to kids and that they don't get shut out my hardcore adult collectors.

Also, a point of etiquette that not everyone finds intuitive- do not touch the CM's pins or lanyard. Point, use your words, but do not touch. And put the back on your pin before you hand it over.

Are there any places in the parks that have more CMs with pins than others or does one of the parks have more than others? And I think some one mentioned getting pins from the Resorts as well? Can they really be on any CM on the property really?

Are there any places in the parks that have more CMs with pins than others or does one of the parks have more than others? And I think some one mentioned getting pins from the Resorts as well? Can they really be on any CM on the property really?

It can be from any CM with a lanyard, sash, or pin pad, on property. You'll clearly see them on the CMs, or if you're in a shop you can ask if they have a pin board or do pin trades. When I approach a CM to trade, I always ask, "May I make a pin trade with you?"

One of the most fun things we did on our last trip was take one pin and trade it as many times as possible around the world showcase in Epcot. I took a picture each time we got a new pin, and then traded it for another. We buy mystery packs or "ugly" pins from a pin shop in the resort or parks and use them as traders. We also have quite a few pins that are just for keeping that we do not trade.

Have fun! Pin trading is one of my family's favorite activities at Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter