How Do You Survive the Election if.....

I just wanted to comment on the 'cancel my vote' idea.

I see my vote as my input into a collective pot. My voice can still be heard, even if my DH is talking at the same time. It's not like my marrying someone who votes for the 'other guy' means my vote is less valid. There are millions of votes that cancel mine out. I might as well just stay home, if I'm going to look at it that way.

Just commenting because I have been asked this question many times.

Even if my husband's vote "cancelled mine out" I could not imagine not voting. I believe, like you, that my vote does count. You couldn't keep me away from voting:goodvibes , I had a great American Government teacher in High School and he convinced me way back then that voting was not an option but a duty!!!:)

We do NOT discuss politics. EVER!!!!!

Both of us are convinced we're right, the other won't change their opinions. So we just agree to disagree and do not discuss it AT ALL.

my husband is a registered Republican and I am a democrat. (I liked it better in MT where we didn't have to declare our party affiliation). We have found that we do cancel each other sometimes but not always. Our values are similar we just think different parties handle them better.

We don't often talk about politics at home...mutual respect.

What is interesting is seeing how our girls are turning out. Our oldest has very defined political views and is more liberal than I could be...but you know what? She can stand behind her views as an informed kiddo.
The younger one will probably be the leader of the green party when she is old enough....I never knew I could raise such a "granola". :confused3

I've often wondered the same thing. DH and I are very middle of the road politically and have very similar political opinions, but it doesn't always translate into the same vote...just depends on our perception of where to go with our beliefs and which issues are more important to each of us at the time. Neither one of us votes strictly for one political party and are both registered independents.

I agree about James Carville and Mary Matalin...an interesting couple. Also, "Ahnold" marrying into the Kennedy family.

my husband is a registered Republican and I am a democrat. (I liked it better in MT where we didn't have to declare our party affiliation). We have found that we do cancel each other sometimes but not always. Our values are similar we just think different parties handle them better.

We don't often talk about politics at home...mutual respect.

What is interesting is seeing how our girls are turning out. Our oldest has very defined political views and is more liberal than I could be...but you know what? She can stand behind her views as an informed kiddo.
The younger one will probably be the leader of the green party when she is old enough....I never knew I could raise such a "granola". :confused3

I just thought that was cute!! Also love your daughter's name, I am a mom to a Cassidy as well!!

Well, I do think it's interesting that all four of us children are democrats - and that does seems to drive my mom crazy.

:rotfl:

My DH's parents are democrats and all three of their boys became conservative republicans. They seem to be driven to distraction by this turn of events as well. It sure makes for interesting dinner conversation when we all get together.:)

I've often wondered the same thing. DH and I are very middle of the road politically and have very similar political opinions, but it doesn't always translate into the same vote...just depends on our perception of where to go with our beliefs and which issues are more important to each of us at the time. Neither one of us votes strictly for one political party and are both registered independents.

I agree about James Carville and Mary Matalin...an interesting couple. Also, "Ahnold" marrying into the Kennedy family.

How could I forget that one...you are right, I 'd love to see them all at the Kennedy compound hangin' out!!!

Neither DH or I happen to have all of views lining up with either party. Or each other, on occasion, though we are fairly in synch.

We just disagree. I tell him he's wrong and here's what I think and why. He tells me I'm wrong and why he thinks so.

It really isn't a big deal.

I really wonder about people who always agree with a certain party. It makes me think they haven't the sense God gave a goat and just wait for the party to tell them what to think. But I allow for the fact that I could be wrong. :)

WEll i am a Dem and DH is a Rep...every time there is an election we try to change each others minds...has never happened in the 28 years we have been together..

Everytime we voted we would wipe each others votes out...because we were voting different parties. Well surprise surprise....this year he has decided to follow my klead...He will be voting for Hillary :thumbsup2

There is still a chance that he will change his mind again and vote for McCain. If Hillary does not get the Nomination than he will vote McCain. He will not vote for Obama no way no how...

If that happens and I vote Obama we are back to square one :rotfl2:

I'm a registered Democrat and my husband is a Republican and we are headed toward our 21st Wedding Anniversary.

Marrying somebody who is exactly like me would have been kind of -- redundant.

I really wonder about people who always agree with a certain party. It makes me think they haven't the sense God gave a goat and just wait for the party to tell them what to think. But I allow for the fact that I could be wrong. :)

I know I've heard other people comment that they can't understand why people consistently vote for a certain political party. I can tell you that I have always and will likely always vote Republican (unless the Republican party does a 180 on its beliefs). There are many things that I disagree with the Republican party on, but there are a couple of key beliefs (fiscal ones mainly) that would never allow me to vote Democrat. I hope that makes sense. :)

And luckily my DH is a conservative like me. :goodvibes

My husband and I cancel each other's vote. We like it like that;) We discuss politics and religion anytime we have the opportunity and that even includes now while he is away. It's just part of who we are. I couldn't imagine not being able to discuss the things I believe in with the man I love. We don't always agree but we are always respectful and I think we have learned alot from each other in the last 6 or 7 years together and at this point I think we are almost to the point of meeting in the middle at least for this upcoming election.

I know I've heard other people comment that they can't understand why people consistently vote for a certain political party. I can tell you that I have always and will likely always vote Republican (unless the Republican party does a 180 on its beliefs). There are many things that I disagree with the Republican party on, but there are a couple of key beliefs (fiscal ones mainly) that would never allow me to vote Democrat. I hope that makes sense. :)

And luckily my DH is a conservative like me. :goodvibes

Makes sense to me :thumbsup2

My DH and I are the same party and we disagree on political stuff. He thinks I'm nuts and I don't think he's nuts enough sometimes. Really, I'm very passionate about some issues which he could care less over. We just try to keep those topics limited in our conversations and go on doing our own things in regards to those topics.

I was just thinking that as a Democrat I am glad my husband shares my political views, but I was wondering how hard it must be if spouses disagree politically. Really I couldn't imagine marrying someone who disagrees with me on political stuff anyway because it is important to me!!!:hippie:

So my question is... how do you get through this election season if you and your spouse disagree....do you just skip talking politics, and just avoid the topic all together???

Well, I tend to lean democrat and my husband tends to lean republican, and since we've been together I've always voted democrat for President and he's always voted Republican.

We definitely bicker at times over it, and the election years are always the worse for that. But it isn't like I believe in every aspect of the democratic party and it is the same with him on the republican side.

And we have the same basic values in life and the same dreams for our future, and that is what really affects us. Do we differ on immigration and environmental policies, yes, somewhat, but neither one of those affects our daily lives, so it isn't a big deal. If we differed on child raising and retirment plans, those would be deal breakers, but politics, not so much. We respect each others views on most of it.

This year will be interesting though, because my dh hates Hillary Clinton, and I like her (although, I would have no problem with Obama). In fact, he voted for Obama in the primary, just to try to make sure Hillary didn't win. So if Hillary gets the nomination, I have a feeling it will just be better to not talk politics in our house for the next six months.

My DH is a Republican; he says he will be in atonement the rest of his life for registering as a Democrat and voting for Carter when he was young. I have always been an Independent, which drives him nuts, "You're throwing your vote away...You can't vote in the primaries..." I like being an Independent, because there are aspects of both parties I agree/disagree and always will.

And we have the same basic values in life and the same dreams for our future, and that is what really affects us. Do we differ on immigration and environmental policies, yes, somewhat, but neither one of those affects our daily lives, so it isn't a big deal. If we differed on child raising and retirment plans, those would be deal breakers, but politics, not so much. We respect each others views on most of it.

I agree with you. Although DH and I do agree politically, we really find that it's those "daily issues" like personal finances and child rearing that are really important. So do you think this says that our daily actions probably contribute more to our peaceful co-existence than our ideologies?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter