How do you store baby clothes?

vettechick99

<font color=purple>Why do I open these threads?<br
I stored DD4s clothes in large blue tubs. They came out sort of musty smelling even though they went in clean. I am re-storing those and DD1s clothes so I can take them to consignment in the spring. I don't want to have to wash them again in a few months so what's the best way to store them?

Don't say vacuum-sealed because my vacuum is on the fritz. :sad2:

Right now ours are mostly in garbage bags! I got some out that were in all summer (he could still wear some of his pants) and they were fine. I didn't even wash them.

IF we get pregnant again and IF it's a girl, I'm going to write you! I know you have good taste! What months were the girls born? We would likely be July or august (FET).

I also used some tubs like that, and some cardboard boxes, but all the clothes were in garbage bags IN the tubs. I think that helped keep out the mustiness. I've found that the yarn and blankets I've stored have come out perfectly. They were stored in the LARGE Ziplock bags. They are as big as the HUGE Kohl's bags (like the ones they use a lot during Christmas time). They aren't as airtight as vaccum bags, but they did well.

Where are you storing the bins? I've used plastic bins for the last 11 years and my clothes never come out smelling musty.

I owned a successful childrens' clothing consignment shop and always told my customers to be sure and launder the clothing in a detergent with a deodorizer before storing clothes. Not all detergents have deodorizers.

To further prevent odors, add a paper sack of clean kitty litter with the clothing. Use a good quality kitty litter (one with a deodorizer). Be sure to use a paper bag; it is porus. A cloth bag made from an old pillowcase is even better. The kitty litter asbsorbs moisture, too. Moisture can cause clothing to mold or smell musty.

I've deodorized many a thing with kitty litter. Sounds odd, but it works like a charm.

Aunt Bee

I owned a successful childrens' clothing consignment shop and always told my customers to be sure and launder the clothing in a detergent with a deodorizer before storing clothes. Not all detergents have deodorizers.

To further prevent odors, add a paper sack of clean kitty litter with the clothing. Use a good quality kitty litter (one with a deodorizer). Be sure to use a paper bag; it is porus. A cloth bag made from an old pillowcase is even better. The kitty litter asbsorbs moisture, too. Moisture can cause clothing to mold or smell musty.

I've deodorized many a thing with kitty litter. Sounds odd, but it works like a charm.

Aunt Bee

Will a detergent say it has a deodorizer on it? I guess I have never noticed this before. Thanks for the tip about kitty litter. Never woukd have thought of this. I was always told to store the clothes in cardboard versus plastic tubs. My boys clothing is mostly stored in diaper boxes (of which I have a ton of) and is currently taking up a lot of closet space. I plan to move it to a climate controlled storage soon. Might need to repack.

Right now ours are mostly in garbage bags! I got some out that were in all summer (he could still wear some of his pants) and they were fine. I didn't even wash them.

IF we get pregnant again and IF it's a girl, I'm going to write you! I know you have good taste! What months were the girls born? We would likely be July or august (FET).

:goodvibes My second DD was born in August so that matches up perfectly! My other was April so you let me know ASAP and I'll put them aside for you.

Where are you storing the bins? I've used plastic bins for the last 11 years and my clothes never come out smelling musty.

In the attic. That may be part of the problem.

Aunt Bee

I think that might be another part of the problem. I always had to wash the clothes in Dreft or "free" detergents because of allergies. I may try the kitty litter idea. Right now I think I'll put them in clean bags and then into a plastic bin.

Thanks for all the tips!

We'll probably know if we are or not by the end of November (I hope it goes that fast, anyway-consult is mid-Oct.) Not sure when that would put us finding out gender. You probably can guess timeline better than me since you've lived it.

Have you tried adding a dryer sheet to the bins? That could help, too. I think anytime stuff is shut up it has that stale smell. I used the scented trash bags in the bins, though, I forgot about that, in the tiny baby clothes. Everything else is just in the bags, though.

I second the dryer sheet suggestion. I use them in my plastic totes. I store the clothes for a couple of years then pass on to the next kid and they aren't stale or moldy smelling at all.

My kid clothes have never had a problem other than reappearing stains lol. I store them in the kids closets in the diaper boxes. My linen closet though gets a weird smell though :( I have tried dryer sheets between towels so not sure what else to try there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter