How do you pay cash for a car?

Honeymooner04

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this sounds like an incredibly stupid question but I've tried to find the answer and am coming up empty handed. We've been saving up for a new car and are coming close to our goal. We're planning on purchasing the car new, at a dealer, but I'm curious what's the acceptable, normal way to go about it. I don't want to be embarrassed doing the wrong thing. Do you do a personal check? Finalize the deal and then go to the bank and get a cashiers check? Is there another way that I don't know of, ya know besides showing up at the dealership with wads of cash looking like a drug dealer! (I'm not by the way! lol) Thanks for your help!

just write them a check.

It's not a silly question at all BTW, it's actually a great question! :thumbsup2

I've written personal checks for 3 new cars. They may ask you to bring a cashier's check, but they didn't ask me.

They will NOT take visa/mastercard even though they are supposed to because they don't want to pay the 3.5 fee.

We have always written a personal check. For our latest car, we were allowed to put $5000 on our Disney Visa - that was $50 more for Disney! I thought that was very nice of the dealership - they offered the information that we could do that; we didn't ask.

Congratulations on reaching your goal!

Just take your checkbook. I'm not sure if they even asked us for ID, we just wheeled & dealed & wrote the check. Did we get a better deal for paying cash? Not sure, but it was fun for the day to walk in, say "I'll take that one" write the check & have it done with!

That's awesome! Congratulations!

Just make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE you mention that you are going to pay cash. They may quote you a lower price for the car thinking that they can stick you with the interest rate. So, get them to give you that low price and then when they want to talk financing, pull out your checkbook.

I put a deposit of $500 on a credit card (Disney Visa, of course!) and left with my new car. I came back the next day with a cashier's check for the balance, which is what they wanted. They had me fill out all the financing paperwork before I left with the car just in case I did not return with a check. It was all very, very easy.

We have put the whole down payment on our credit card (for the points) and paid the rest using cash/check. Some dealers will allow more on a cc because they actually NEED to sell their inventory. Shop for the best deal that gives you what is most important to you.

typically before you go there to pick up the car and sign the paperwork you have a discussion about the car financing. e.g. they will ask you how much money you are going to bring.

If you are paying cash for the entire amount, they will also tell you how much to bring. You can ask them what kind of requirements they have for the check.

I had the bank prepare a certified check.

Congrats on your financial planning! WTG! I would have to put it on my cc to get those points. It would kill me not to get them! lol But, I'm guessing a check is how you have to do it.

We got them to put 2K on our credit card, for the points. And because it was a pretty much cash deal, they were generous with the discounts. You have more leverage. Congrats!

If you're buying a 4x4 maybe they will Pay you to take it away !! :rotfl2:

But seriously , just make sure you have all your paper work ready to show where all the money you saved up for the car. Uncle Sam came knocking on my door after I paid for a car once. All was fine but MAN the paper work of audits are not fun. It was a waste of THERE time MOSTLY. Good Luck!:dance3:

Okay, I had to post here - 1st, it is definitely going to depend upon the Dealership- as well as the state that you are buying in as to what they accept as payment forms-
I work for a Dealership :eek: & I happen to be a Finance Manager. :surfweb:

Paying cash or financing at a reputable Dealership is not going to make a difference in your price, discount, rebate , or otherwise- Actually a customer paying cash is a higher risk than those financing- Especially today since 9-11
However it is done quite often in our area and we accept anything as a form of payment- A cashiers check still has a risk as does a personal check- sometimes w/ a personal check they may want to let you take the vehicle on a dealer tag until funds are actually received- some Dealerships are set up for EFT and some are not- If the Dealership is privately owned or Corporate will make a huge difference as to what their policies are. Our Dealership is Corporate and accepting credit cards is for the convenience of our customers- Some may be declined the first time swiped for $30K but we let the customer know, we are not alarmed and they shouldn't be either- Let's call the bank and let them know you are making the purchase- if the credit card company or bank (debit card) is not used to these transactions they may not accept it through unless you confirm that you are indeed making the large purchase. Much better to use a form of payment that you can also track in your own records even though we have had customers who like the idea of saying they have paid "cash" for a new vehicle once in their lives and that is what they do- A very lengthy process to verify funds are legitimate and not being laundered, etc-
best advice- go to the Dealership, make your decision on vehicle and get the numbers up front- if they ask for credit let them know you will be taking care of your own purchase- (they may still ask for your SSN for identity purposes and for title work to be done) if they are legitimate they will not run your credit unless you take off with the vehicle and don't come back w/ the check, cash, however you pay for it. We don't! Our town is mainly military and many soldiers coming back from Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan, etc get huge bonuses and pay cash- A suggestion... Your money works best for you in the bank, money market, CD etc than to pay it all on a depreciating asset- You can do a huge downpayment- deposit the rest in an interest bearing account, make your payments from that account only- after one year, go ahead and pay it off if you really want to - It has now helped your credit as well as helped you to save a bit of money- There are many incentive rates out there right now- some are even available to all credit types- check the manufacturers websites for any offers out there right now and if you may qualify- A lot of times this takes no credit check at all- just you being aware of what rating you have and asking the Financial Manager if they feel you would qualify based on ... - If they want to run credit before giving a basic answer then forget it- We have all been doing this for a long time and if not - extensive training and classes are involved for reputable dealerships- Plus most of us have degrees before reaching the position and the extra training is for basic dealership policies and procedures- I hoep I haven't turned this into a rant but we get a bad name and have loads of great info to give- not all of us are snakes- So mrsklamc... Holding out on how you intend to pay for your purchase is not going to win you any competitions or best price ever , etc- & Pastors Wife- If the Dealership has their customers in mind a 3.5% fee is not going to keep them from doing business- You will always find better deals from Corporate owned dealerships because they can afford to go deeper into profit to sell one vehicle due to receiving that back and more based on volume for the month, quarter, etc- Also, the Corporate owned Dealerships are not concerned w/ minimal fees in order to serve a customer. Research the type of vehicle you want, then research the dealerships... I suggest contacting the internet depts of the dealerships- If they know you are willing to drive an hour for the better deal and they know you are also talking to 3 other dealerships over the same car - you will win without having to "tell" anything- Also, as a hint to this tip- You want to see the vehicle and drive it- that's fine- after a few e-mails suggest this to the internet mgr- their response will let you knwo should you actually go see this vehicle or stay clear as high pressure is evident through conversation- Don't walk away from a great deal though! Be aware many have lost great deals thinking they are holding out for better and get worse- Your decision should also be based on the relationship the internet sales has built with you and how much were they willing to go above and beyond to accommodate you. Surveys after the purchase also mean a great deal to dealerships so if your service was great- Give all rave reviews- It is a reflection on your sales person even though it asks about all aspects of the dealership- Okay enough from me- I hope this will help you & no hard feelings to the couple of posters I pointed out- all dealerships are different and a feew bad apples give our whole field a bad name- Learn the tactics and strategies- You will know Good Luck & Congrats for reaching the goal of being able to buy w/o financing- Not many can and still maintain a comfortable lifestyle afterwards- So- Kudos to you!:thumbsup2

paying cash is great... however with the market the way it is many car makers are offering 0% financing. the last car i bought, i got for 2k below invoice pricing, at 0.4%. i was going to pay cash but then i decided to put about 30% down and keep the rest in my bank account earning almost 6% interest. so thanks to the car maker i am actually making money over the life of the loan than if i had paid cash out right. its not much but its about 2k dollars over the life of the loan. what i do is not touch the money, so i can pay it off anytime i want, but why let them earn the 6% when i can?

Okay, I had to post here - 1st, it is definitely going to depend upon the Dealership- as well as the state that you are buying in as to what they accept as payment forms-

Paying cash or financing at a reputable Dealership is not going to make a difference in your price, discount, rebate , or otherwise- Actually a customer paying cash is a higher risk than those financing- Especially today since 9-11
However it is done quite often in our area and we accept anything as a form of payment- A cashiers check still has a risk as does a personal check- sometimes w/ a personal check they may want to let you take the vehicle on a dealer tag until funds are actually received- some Dealerships are set up for EFT and some are not- If the Dealership is privately owned or Corporate will make a huge difference as to what their policies are. Our Dealership is Corporate and accepting credit cards is for the convenience of our customers- Some may be declined the first time swiped for $30K but we let the customer know, we are not alarmed and they shouldn't be either- Let's call the bank and let them know you are making the purchase- if the credit card company or bank (debit card) is not used to these transactions they may not accept it through unless you confirm that you are indeed making the large purchase. Much better to use a form of payment that you can also track in your own records even though we have had customers who like the idea of saying they have paid "cash" for a new vehicle once in their lives and that is what they do- A very lengthy process to verify funds are legitimate and not being laundered, etc-
best advice- go to the Dealership, make your decision on vehicle and get the numbers up front- if they ask for credit let them know you will be taking care of your own purchase- (they may still ask for your SSN for identity purposes and for title work to be done) if they are legitimate they will not run your credit unless you take off with the vehicle and don't come back w/ the check, cash, however you pay for it. We don't! Our town is mainly military and many soldiers coming back from Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan, etc get huge bonuses and pay cash- A suggestion... Your money works best for you in the bank, money market, CD etc than to pay it all on a depreciating asset- You can do a huge downpayment- deposit the rest in an interest bearing account, make your payments from that account only- after one year, go ahead and pay it off if you really want to - It has now helped your credit as well as helped you to save a bit of money- There are many incentive rates out there right now- some are even available to all credit types- check the manufacturers websites for any offers out there right now and if you may qualify- A lot of times this takes no credit check at all- just you being aware of what rating you have and asking the Financial Manager if they feel you would qualify based on ... - If they want to run credit before giving a basic answer then forget it- We have all been doing this for a long time and if not - extensive training and classes are involved for reputable dealerships- Plus most of us have degrees before reaching the position and the extra training is for basic dealership policies and procedures- I hoep I haven't turned this into a rant but we get a bad name and have loads of great info to give- not all of us are snakes- So mrsklamc... Holding out on how you intend to pay for your purchase is not going to win you any competitions or best price ever , etc- & Pastors Wife- If the Dealership has their customers in mind a 3.5% fee is not going to keep them from doing business- You will always find better deals from Corporate owned dealerships because they can afford to go deeper into profit to sell one vehicle due to receiving that back and more based on volume for the month, quarter, etc- Also, the Corporate owned Dealerships are not concerned w/ minimal fees in order to serve a customer. Research the type of vehicle you want, then research the dealerships... I suggest contacting the internet depts of the dealerships- If they know you are willing to drive an hour for the better deal and they know you are also talking to 3 other dealerships over the same car - you will win without having to "tell" anything- Also, as a hint to this tip- You want to see the vehicle and drive it- that's fine- after a few e-mails suggest this to the internet mgr- their response will let you knwo should you actually go see this vehicle or stay clear as high pressure is evident through conversation- Don't walk away from a great deal though! Be aware many have lost great deals thinking they are holding out for better and get worse- Your decision should also be based on the relationship the internet sales has built with you and how much were they willing to go above and beyond to accommodate you. Surveys after the purchase also mean a great deal to dealerships so if your service was great- Give all rave reviews- It is a reflection on your sales person even though it asks about all aspects of the dealership- Okay enough from me- I hope this will help you & no hard feelings to the couple of posters I pointed out- all dealerships are different and a feew bad apples give our whole field a bad name- Learn the tactics and strategies- You will know Good Luck & Congrats for reaching the goal of being able to buy w/o financing- Not many can and still maintain a comfortable lifestyle afterwards- So- Kudos to you!:thumbsup2
you're not at camp lejeune are you? We were stationed there for two year back in the late 90's.

I did this for my DH's xmas present last year, I put $2500 on my Amex for the points and wrote a personal check for the rest. This was a Honda dealership if that makes a difference. Now that I think about it I should have put it all on my reward earning CC and then paid it in full when I got the bill. Oh, well he loves the car anyways.

I would have loved to read your post but no paragraphs!

By the way, you don't work for Hendrick Dodge, do you?

When we bought our Dodge Montana, GM financing was running a $500 off if you did their finanacing. So we financed it and then paid it off the next month with a check - their was no penalty for early payment.

Have fun with the new vehicle!

Just make sure you negotiate the price BEFORE you mention that you are going to pay cash. They may quote you a lower price for the car thinking that they can stick you with the interest rate. So, get them to give you that low price and then when they want to talk financing, pull out your checkbook.

Absolutely. Often people think you'll get a better deal if you pay cash, but really, the opposite is true - they make more money if you finance through them. If/when they ask about financing before you have settled on a price, say something like "I haven't decided. I might go through my bank, or I might go through you guys - it depends on the interest rate and other things. I'd just like to settle on the price of the car first."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter