How do you package your FE gifts?

I don't think putting a name adds any strings, just lets people know that you fulfilled your commitment to the exchange, which doesn't always happen.

I don't worry about who/if someone on my list gifted me or not. I just like to make others happy. :goodvibes

When I join a FE group, I accept that some people may not do as I do.

I don't think putting a name adds any strings, just lets people know that you fulfilled your commitment to the exchange, which doesn't always happen.

I agree with this. I had always wondered if you could get banned from FEs if you had a record of not giving.

I also kind of wish people would say in advance if the are only giving to families with children. I don't particularly find it fair since DBF and I don't have kids so would be left out but then would still be expected to give to a family we aren't getting anything fun. I always figured it was like an exchange system I give you something you give me something doesn't matter how much or what but that's how it works. I think one of my favorite gifts was someone gave us hand sanitizer and band aids. Both pretty cheap things to give with little thought but man did we use those up. I think on my next FE in going to out a few blister band aids in each because I know I could have use them for sure.

I agree with this. I had always wondered if you could get banned from FEs if you had a record of not giving.

I also kind of wish people would say in advance if the are only giving to families with children. I don't particularly find it fair since DBF and I don't have kids so would be left out but then would still be expected to give to a family we aren't getting anything fun. I always figured it was like an exchange system I give you something you give me something doesn't matter how much or what but that's how it works.

I agree. Too many seem to think that FE gifts are only for the kids. We are a group of adults and sign up for the FE because we like giving/receiving the "magic." To me, on a Disney cruise, we are all kids at heart!

For our gifts, we package them in brightly colored cellophane bags that we get at the Dollar Store. They are usually 20 or so for $1 and nice gift bags!

I also kind of wish people would say in advance if the are only giving to families with children. I don't particularly find it fair since DBF and I don't have kids so would be left out but then would still be expected to give to a family we aren't getting anything fun. I always figured it was like an exchange system I give you something you give me something doesn't matter how much or what but that's how it works. I think one of my favorite gifts was someone gave us hand sanitizer and band aids. Both pretty cheap things to give with little thought but man did we use those up. I think on my next FE in going to out a few blister band aids in each because I know I could have use them for sure.

I agree. Too many seem to think that FE gifts are only for the kids. We are a group of adults and sign up for the FE because we like giving/receiving the "magic." To me, on a Disney cruise, we are all kids at heart!

For our gifts, we package them in brightly colored cellophane bags that we get at the Dollar Store. They are usually 20 or so for $1 and nice gift bags!

Well, that could be covered when the FE is set up on the cruise meet thread. You can specify that everyone must give at least one gift per room. Or that only rooms with children will get gifts. Or that each person gets a gift. That's how that could be handled.

That way, those people who only give to children could decide whether they want to participate or not if they must give gifts to rooms without children also.

Personally, I give gifts to each person in the room. But I totally get that some people give just one gift per room. I'm fine with that. I think that's the minimum that should be given. But, there are people that think it's only for the kids. And will give accordingly. I give gifts because I want to spread a little Disney magic. And I don't keep track of who gave and who didn't. It's not worth putting a damper on my cruise.

Thanks for explaining. It sounds like it would be too much for my first cruise, so I might pass. Lol.

We are doing the FE on our cruise and we are first timers as well. It's as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. We plan to give a gift to each person on our list instead of a "family" gift. You can pick up lots of little gifts without putting out a lot of time or $$. Check out the Facebook group for the Fish Extenders before you rule it out. Lots of good ideas on there. If you don't have a good showing on your Cruise Meet page, check out Facebook as well. Lots of cruises have their own "group" where the organization is done (instead of the "Meet" page). Our cruise is next April and we already have the FE groups started and about 30-40 people in our FB group. Maybe FB is a more accesible and more "mainstream" way of group communication. IDK.

Disclaimer I know this is a voluntary thing and others may not agree with my views. Even with the following thoughts I still would give gifts I just may not put as much money into those gifts.

Well, that could be covered when the FE is set up on the cruise meet thread. You can specify that everyone must give at least one gift per room. Or that only rooms with children will get gifts. Or that each person gets a gift. That's how that could be handled.

That way, those people who only give to children could decide whether they want to participate or not if they must give gifts to rooms without children also.

Personally, I give gifts to each person in the room. But I totally get that some people give just one gift per room. I'm fine with that. I think that's the minimum that should be given. But, there are people that think it's only for the kids. And will give accordingly. I give gifts because I want to spread a little Disney magic. And I don't keep track of who gave and who didn't. It's not worth putting a damper on my cruise.

That's why I said say in advance. I don't mind if you will only be giving to children but I want to know before hand. To me it is about spreading Disney magic and not all Disney groups have kids and I think it is a little unfair to expect me to give your kids something if you don't want to give my group something. i didn't keep track as in won't give you the gift if you don't but rather keep track so I know who to thank.

Now I have a question. We thought about doing this last time but it was our first cruise. Is it weird or unacceptable to text a thank you to a groups wave phone? I got some great gifts and stuff and wanted to thank people (especially those who remember it was my birthday) and thought the wave phones were the best way but didn't so it because I couldn't decide if it was over stepping or not.
I figured they are free and don't cost and it wasn't like we were calling just a simple thank you text.

That's why I said say in advance. I don't mind if you will only be giving to children but I want to know before hand. To me it is about spreading Disney magic and not all Disney groups have kids and I think it is a little unfair to expect me to give your kids something if you don't want to give my group something. i didn't keep track as in won't give you the gift if you don't but rather keep track so I know who to thank.

Now I have a question. We thought about doing this last time but it was our first cruise. Is it weird or unacceptable to text a thank you to a groups wave phone? I got some great gifts and stuff and wanted to thank people (especially those who remember it was my birthday) and thought the wave phones were the best way but didn't so it because I couldn't decide if it was over stepping or not.
I figured they are free and don't cost and it wasn't like we were calling just a simple thank you text.

I don't see why that wouldn't be acceptable. However, not everyone uses/carries the wavephone (I know we don't). So, not sure if everyone you are trying to reach would get the message.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! :thumbsup2 They really help and gets me more excited about our cruise!! :banana:

I think this is a nice idea, but we don't use our wave phones either. They stay parked on the desk the entire time for our cruise!

I don't know how it happened, but the first sentence in my quote you posted wasn't mine.

We are doing the FE on our cruise and we are first timers as well. It's as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. We plan to give a gift to each person on our list instead of a "family" gift. You can pick up lots of little gifts without putting out a lot of time or $$. Check out the Facebook group for the Fish Extenders before you rule it out. Lots of good ideas on there. If you don't have a good showing on your Cruise Meet page, check out Facebook as well. Lots of cruises have their own "group" where the organization is done (instead of the "Meet" page). Our cruise is next April and we already have the FE groups started and about 30-40 people in our FB group. Maybe FB is a more accesible and more "mainstream" way of group communication. IDK.

Remember it is not always money and time that prevents people gifting to each individual. We are doing a nice family gift rather than individual gifts because we are taking a transatlantic flight and, thus, space will be limited in our luggage.

Remember it is not always money and time that prevents people gifting to each individual. We are doing a nice family gift rather than individual gifts because we are taking a transatlantic flight and, thus, space will be limited in our luggage.

You can get many small gifts and fit them in your luggage or you can ship your bigger gifts to your stateroom ahead of time. "Space" is a minor issue, if an isue at all. There isn't a requirement that gifts must be "big" or "extravagant".

Last cruise, I used big tote bags with handles because I figured they could be re-used. I usually pack one bag with just FE gifts so that I can use it to carry our FE loot home. I don't put names, I don't need to be thanked for gifts. And I don't keep score either.

Last cruise, was a 4 nighter in February and we had about 30 rooms signed up. I could barely get all of our stuff packed up to take home because we got so much! If anyone didn't give gifts, I would not have known it because there was so much.

Plus we just don't worry about that stuff. We don't give to get, we just give because its part of the fun. I've been known to leave a gift on a door I know is not in my group just because I have extras.

You can get many small gifts and fit them in your luggage or you can ship your bigger gifts to your stateroom ahead of time. "Space" is a minor issue, if an isue at all. There isn't a requirement that gifts must be "big" or "extravagant".

I disagree. Space is a minor issue for YOU. Space is a bigger issue for me. And I would guess that for many, the FE process is a small add on to their plans - not a focal point such that adding tasks like shipping ahead or packing an entire extra bag, etc are not in the cards. And that's AOK.

I disagree. Space is a minor issue for YOU. Space is a bigger issue for me. And I would guess that for many, the FE process is a small add on to their plans - not a focal point such that adding tasks like shipping ahead or packing an entire extra bag, etc are not in the cards. And that's AOK.

I Agree with lorenni space can be an issue for some! It was the reason I pulled out of our FE because I felt the group had gotten too big and could not imagine fitting all the gifts in my luggage or even getting it all home without paying extra luggage fees. I was not comfortable sending the package to port and hoping it would get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter