How do you make a Disneyland vacation longer?

DISfanboy

Mouseketeer
I am thinking about a DLR trip for next year because the new DCA looks amazing. Only thing is as WDW vet i'm use to being able to spend a 7+ days at Disney. Since DLR only has 2 parks how can i make the most of a week long trip?

Well, we've been going for 5 1/2 days for the past several years and that was before CL opened. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding enough to do! DLR has many many attractions but unlike WDW, they are packed close together. And don't forget DTD also! I'm wondering how we will fit it all in on this trip. And I have so many new places I want to eat!

As PinkBudgie said, just because Disneyland only has two parks doesn't mean it's "small". It has almost as many attractions as all four of WDW's parks crammed into DL's two, especially with the opening of Carsland. The difference is that they are just close together.

We're doing our first Disneyland trip in a few weeks. We are splitting the week between Disneyland and San Diego to see the zoo, safari park, and Legoland there too.

We (DD12 and myself) have done both WDW and DLR many times. While 7 days isn't enough for us at WDW between the parks and waterparks, we find 4-5 days at DLR enough to do all of what we want at Disney proper, at a pretty relaxed pace - I think that amount of time will still be OK for us even with CL, we may just have to step up the pace a day or two. (Last time we went, by day 5 we were getting - gasp - a tiny bit bored!)

So when we go for a week, we always add days doing things like the San Diego Zoo (we make it a daytrip from Anaheim) or going to a beach. There's also Universal Studios, esp. if you like more thrill-ish rides. This year I'm trying to get tickets for a television show taping.

It helps that we drive to DLR, while we fly to WDW - having the car enables the other trips. There's lots to do in that area of Southern California - try venturing out a bit!

Oh - and if you have a little girl, you can spend at least half a day at the American Girl Store in L.A.! LOL

You can also go to Knott's Berry Farm one day (which is very close) or Six Flags Magic Mountain (if you have older kids that like thrill rides) which is about a 90 minute drive North.

I think the combined total of DL and DCA is about 150 acres....and sorry....there are no buses;). Really,there is so much to see and do that I don't think you will have any problem filling a week at these two parks.

On our recent June 2012 trip ( https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150883227289843.436635.789054842&type=3&l=b55521fb60 ), we had 4 day hoppers with 6 nights @ the GCH. We chose to take a break midweek and visited the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. It was a great idea! The planetarium show was neat and the view was good (but don't expect crystal clear air!). It's a simple drive up Hwy 5 about 35-55 minutes. We came back after lunch and spent the afternoon swimming. You only need 2-3hrs max to see everything there. Enjoy!

We always go for seven to nine days each visit, sometimes two times a year. We enjoy seeing and doing everything.We have tried to go see other parks and it just doesn't work for us. Going to visit the other parks such as six flags or knotts might be enjoyable but, not required. We enjoy our stays and our boys are never ready to go home. There is just so much to do and see, how could you get bored?...:cool1:

Last time we went, we bought 5 day hoppers and spent three full days in the park and the majority of 2 other days (our arrival day and departure day). We took our time and did everything we wanted to do and has plenty of time to enjoy the Halloween decorations and atmosphere. Then we did LegoLand, the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal park before returning home.

But when I asked my oldest DS about the trip (8 at the time), he said he wished we would have spent the extra days at Disney instead of going to San Diego. So when we go this November, we have six day hoppers and don't really plan to do anything else for the week we are there. We will have plenty of time to do everything we want as many times as we want and really enjoy the Christmas decorations and all the shows.

Well, we always get a 5 day pass but are on vacation for 8 days.

Two of those days are 'travel day's so we spend it settling in, getting groceries, relaxing on one end and packing up on the other.

We usually will have a rest day in the middle of our trip where we sleep in, relax by the pool or go to the beach.

DISfanboy said:
Since DLR only has 2 parks how can i make the most of a week long trip?

• Take your time
  • Whenever you get the chance, chat up a CM
  • Hidden Mickey's

There is almost as much to do at DLR in 2 parks as there is at WDW with 4 parks. The difference is that at DLR everything is in walking distance. You don't spend the 1+ hours each way to hop between parks or head to a resort for dinner and back. Instead that time is spent in DLR itself and not a boat, bus or monorail. You get more done in less time at DLR.

That said theres other things to do in the area. Knotts is 5 miles away and is a great amusement park if you love thrill rides, coasters etc. Universal Studios is 40 miles away, Six Flags Magic Mountain is 50 miles away. Beaches are 12-15 miles away.

We often take a 10 day trip and plan 3-4 nights in San Diego and visit SeaWorld, Zoo, Safari park and beach then head to Disneyland for the remainder.

You can also go to Knott's Berry Farm one day (which is very close) or Six Flags Magic Mountain (if you have older kids that like thrill rides) which is about a 90 minute drive North.

I agree, go see the first Amusement Park in America! Knotts is 6 or so miles away from Disneyland. I think you can easily spend 7 days at DL Resort. You don't have to rush, and you can take your time seeing and riding everything.

Sleep, eat and play!!

Sleep in, enjoy your vacation =) DLR has lots of great dinning. Steakhouse 55, Napa Rose, Carthay Circle. It's spendy but try them out if you can.

Let the music play. Sooo many great outdoor entertainment. Make a point to catch them. From Billy Hill to the Daper Dans, they are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter