How do you like the new Test Track?

TruBlu

DIS Veteran
We were NOT fans. :sad:
This is a ride we used to fastpass & wait in line to ride at least 4 times every EPCOT visit.
Twice was enough for us with the new one. Once standby and once fastpass.
The music drove me CRAZY! Fastpass ruins the car building experience & standby takes forever!!!

It seemed like one big commercial.

And I really missed the hot, cold and acid rooms.

Sent using DISBoards

We went last week... DH was unimpressed with the "new" test track... he liked the old one a lot better.

We only did FP, but we were still able to design our own car. Is the standby line difference when it comes to the car design?

If you think it compares badly to the old test track, you wouldn't want to compare it to the Cars ride in DCA. We tried it yesterday after going to Cars land in October. Neither of us had any interest in a second time. The basic ride is almost identical, but instead of a cool indoor section with Cars characters you get a cheesy fake car testing thing and instead of a thrilling ride through a detailed landscape you get a loop around a building over a parking lot. Not even worth the 15 minute Fastpass wait.

If you think it compares badly to the old test track, you wouldn't want to compare it to the Cars ride in DCA. We tried it yesterday after going to Cars land in October. Neither of us had any interest in a second time. The basic ride is almost identical, but instead of a cool indoor section with Cars characters you get a cheesy fake car testing thing and instead of a thrilling ride through a detailed landscape you get a loop around a building over a parking lot. Not even worth the 15 minute Fastpass wait.

Did you ever ride the old TT? I'm not sure comparing it to RSR is comparing appes to apples. We have done the old TT and RSR. I am looking forward to testing out the new TT in 2 weeks.

Count me in the camp of missing the old one. The new one was a big snooze fest for me. Oh we'll, one less long line and one more Soarin fast pass for me from now on at Epcot...

It was a big disappointment for us, too. It was one of my kids' favorite rides before the refurb, and we adults enjoyed it, too. Post-refurb, my kids (aged 5 and 7) still loved it, but we adults were not impressed and thought it was a total snoozer. I preferred the old version, as dated as it was.

We like the old TT. Myself,DH, DD(22), DS(17), went on the new once and do not plan on going again. The kids said it stinks and they want the old one back.

Oh no! What "stinks" about the new ride?! This is one of DD's absolute favorite rides!!! One of the only reasons we even go to EPCOT at all other than a very few World Showcase restaurants. Will she still love the actual ride at all? I really don't care about any queue interaction or simulation mumbo jumbo. How is the actual ride itself?!:confused3

we were not impressed either! It truly seemed like one big ad for chevy! The old queue was so much nicer as well

HUGE disappointment. I knew I was going to miss the old TT but after riding the new one, I really really am sad to see the old version go. I loved everything about it and nothing was an upgrade. In my opinion, why change something that was still very popular and loved. Upgrade the things that need upgrading.

LisaTN said:
We only did FP, but we were still able to design our own car. Is the standby line difference when it comes to the car design?

Yes, very different. We were only allowed to choose from some pre-designed cars where you could only make a few changes when we did fastpass. With standby you build every part of the car - the shape, color, wheels, spoilers, etc. Lots of things to change. Our kids had one that looked like the Munster's car from the old TV show. It was definitely better than fastpass, but not worth a second time - even to the kids. They rode Mission Space over and over instead. That would have never happened with the old version.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

DS7 and I enjoyed it. The car design/line cue was a huge improvement, ride part a slight disappointment...but for us, the improvements outweigh the interior part of the ride. The outside is still the same fast vroom, vroom, so net was that it was great!

After reading so many complaints about it on this board, I was expecting a really bad ride but I actually liked it! :confused3 I thought it was kind of fun designing your own car and the actual ride was pretty cool too.

I rode the new Test Track on our last trip and I am of the same opinion as others - I prefer the old one. Onc thing I noticed was how quiet the ride was. When people were doing the "high speed" part at the end of the ride I didn't hear anyone screaming. There didn't seem to be a build-up before that point of the ride like before.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

While I had no issues with the ride, the indoor portions and the outdoor portions were pretty neat to me. The indoor part felt faster than it used to be.

BUT, I found the queue, ESPECIALLY with the designing the car portion highly inefficient, and slowed down the process greatly. It seems like Disney took a step backwards by making the queue much slower.

To give those who haven't ridden a clue as to why my husband and I (who both loved the previous version of TT and were excited to ride the new one) didn't like it, (because one PP asked for details), here is what we thought:

1. We missed the pre-show for the old TT (yes it was a little kitschy, but that's what we liked)

2. We missed the overall backstory of the old one...if there was a backstory in the new one, it was hard to figure out and not obvious.

3. The first time we rode, we used Fast Pass, and from what we heard, this significantly reduced our experience.

4. The second time we rode, this time using the standby queue, our card didn't register at the loading point, so again, our experience was probably not what it should have been - after waiting in the standby queue for quite some time, we were disappointed to say the least.

I don't know, aside from missing the old story, I have a real problem with numbers 3 & 4. Using Fast Pass shouldn't take away from the overall experience of the ride - then what's the point of Fast Pass? Speaking to my 4th point, if the experience is heavily dependent on technology that occasionally fails (and nothing is perfect), then I just wasted 45 minutes of my park time in the standby line. Ugh. The whole experience was just frustrating and disappointing.

The whole experience of New Test Track was very frustrating to me.

We hated it. I much preferred the old one.

First off, I found the repeated use of the word "pre-designed custom car" to be obnoxious, especially considering that's an oxymoron. The system to design the car was largely broken, the system that registers it in the ride didn't work, and the ride itself made no sense. The car you create doesn't change the ride experience, and the whole "virtual world testing" made no sense... It was a lot of lights and day-glo paint and neon, but no substance.

Plus, designing the car was pointless. We did it once, and waited in line to do it, didn't care, and didn't have it apply correctly to our ride experience, making it a total waste of time. The next time we did it we just breezed through the ride creation area, didn't make a custom car, and did the ride. It didn't matter in the end if you did or didn't design anything, it was just a time suck, and an unnecessary one that artificially inflates the ride line, even with FP, and causes these ugly little white plastic things to get left on every flat surface and all over the floor of the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter