• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you keep it a surprise???

Mommy26

Mouseketeer
I want to not only surprise my kids but my hubby also.

How didyou surprise your spouse? The kids?

How do you keep from bursting inside?

oh wow id never beable to do that maybe the kid not the DH hed know some how. humm well you could pack an stuff when hes at work or what not. an kids at school an have the suit cases hidden an then the day of the trip pull them out an pack up the car or go to the air port an tell them "you just have to trust me, or were going to see family lol "

idk about the rest of it order a package make sure when it comes they dont see it the tickets an all that.

I can't. I don't! I like having the fam in on the planning. :)

My mom once surprised me and my brother on a Disneyland trip while we were driving home to san Jose from the Grand Canyon, and it was most excellent (I have NO idea how she kept the secret considering how much we were pestering her about stopping at Disneyland! she could have gotten HOURS of peace and quiet on the way down and back!), but other than that surprise, I don't much like 'em, so I try to not create surprises for others.

My Disney surprises consist of pulling out a fun toy just when DS wants it, or a granola bar just as he gets hungry...same expression of joy on his face! :upsidedow

gosh that's a tough one! I can't DS is planning right by me!! I even gave him the surprise basket filled with Mickey stuff last night... Ummm yeah I have a problem! :rotfl2:

I am not telling my daughter until we are there, I am just going to say we are going on vacation to see family. Since she can't read yet, she'll never know what city we are really flying to; she'll just be happy we are going to see family; she thinks they live at Disneyland.

Actually, that could be a problem later down the road.....

I want to tell my dd so bad... but it is so much better to wait--no pestering ("is it the day we go to Disneyland yet??" "How many more days" etc...) DH is a different story, he has to be able to schedule time off work, and I can't spend that much $$ without discussing it first... so he has to be in on it from the beginning.

I know what you mean, it's hard not to tell. Last year my hubby was really sick on our daughters (& Mine we share the same bday) so he kind of missed her happy day...we are going for our birthday and it's a total surprise. The kids think we are going camping they have no idea.. I am bursting inside but I want it to be so special for her and the rest of the family... can't wait! I try not think about it too much, I am a total over planner for DL so it's hard not to over plan this trip..:goodvibes

I could never keep it secret from DBF but I've kept it secret from the kids before. That was fun!! I did laundry and packed them, then we loaded the car the night before and we left just like we would in the morning. They really had no idea until we told them we were going to DL the next day. LOL It was really fun. :)

I want to tell my dd so bad... but it is so much better to wait--no pestering ("is it the day we go to Disneyland yet??" "How many more days" etc...) .

We're the same. Our daughter turns 5 in a few weeks, and we've not told her about our trip at all. We're spending a month over there, the 1st 3 weeks visiting family and then the last 9 days at Disney & San Diego. But we won't tell her about the 'fun' part of the trip until we're over there. Couldn't take the next 7 months of questions ;)

We haven't even told her about the trip over to see the family, and that she'll be there over Christmas. Too much for a 5 yo to process.

I couldn't keep it from DH, but the kids I could. We are going in Sept. and they don't know yet. We went the day after Xmas in 07 and we just put them in the car at around 2:30 am. They woke up as we were getting there. We asked our ODD to start reading signs so we could find a place for breakfast. After commenting that there was a lot of Disney signs, she finally figured out where we were when she read the street sign: Disneyland Dr. It was so cute (she was 6) and we got the whole thing on video.

We kept our DL trip a surprise from our teenage daughter a couple of years ago. We told her we were going to spend fall break from school in Denver. We checked out the Rockies schedule, told here we were going to the mountains, and an amusement park. She was happy with that. Our BIL and SIL didn't tell their kids either - we were all going together. Our DL was riding in the other car and we all pulled into the airport parking lot. She knew where we were and said, "What are we doing in the airport parking?" Then the look on her face was priceless!!!:woohoo: "Are we going to Disneyland?" "Are we?" "We are????" Her little cousins couldn't soak it all in, they were pretty clueless until we spelled it out for them. The pictures were great!!!
A funny side note was that I heard her call one of her friends while we were on the Disney shuttle and she said, "Guess where I'm at . . . LA! Yeah, Los Angeles, we're going to Disneyland!!!" That made my day!

You know, I actually did keep our Jan. trip a secret from DBF for most of the time I was planning it.....I told him before we left but it was a secret until right around Christmas time....huh.....

I am having alot of fun with it so far! I am shopping for the trip to keep my mouth shut about it :rotfl: It is working so far.. but I am only keeping it a secret from dd and ds, not dh.

LOL. We have been keeping our trip a secret from our kids for about 2 months now and it is KILLING ME!! It is getting harder and harder to keep it a secret. We leave in 23 days and I think I might be driving my DH crazy :scared1: because I talk to him about it as much as I can. We usually drive to DLR because we go with 5 or 6 people so it is cheaper for us - BUT, I was able to score $39 fares on JetBlue and ended up paying under $500 for all 5 of us to fly. :thumbsup2 I couldn't pass up such a great deal, so we are flying.

One of the hardest parts about this whole secret thing is, we have AP vouchers from Costco that our friends picked up for us when they were at DLR in Feb. and those vouchers have just been sitting in a drawer waiting patiently for us to use them. Meanwhile, I have been trying to figure out how much sooner we could go to DLR instead of Memorial Day. Tried really hard to go over Spring Break and DS's B-day, but we just couldn't pull it off. So I am back to finger tapping and nail biting, since I hate waiting. :rotfl:

LOL. We have been keeping our trip a secret from our kids for about 2 months now and it is KILLING ME!! It is getting harder and harder to keep it a secret. We leave in 23 days and I think I might be driving my DH crazy :scared1: because I talk to him about it as much as I can. We usually drive to DLR because we go with 5 or 6 people so it is cheaper for us - BUT, I was able to score $39 fares on JetBlue and ended up paying under $500 for all 5 of us to fly. :thumbsup2 I couldn't pass up such a great deal, so we are flying.

One of the hardest parts about this whole secret thing is, we have AP vouchers from Costco that our friends picked up for us when they were at DLR in Feb. and those vouchers have just been sitting in a drawer waiting patiently for us to use them. Meanwhile, I have been trying to figure out how much sooner we could go to DLR instead of Memorial Day. Tried really hard to go over Spring Break and DS's B-day, but we just couldn't pull it off. So I am back to finger tapping and nail biting, since I hate waiting. :rotfl:

Hnag in there, it's soooooooo worth it for it to be a surprise!!! You won't regret it!! :) Look for me, I'll have a LGMH and I'll wearing a bday button with my name on it!! The 25th is my bday. :)

We surprised my 3 yr old DD once last year.
We packed the night before while she was asleep and when she woke up she was looking for her Snow White costume, LOL. I had already packed it, so I told her we could all go to the cleaners to pick it up. We live 5 hours away from Disneyland, so it was a long trip to the cleaners. On the way there, she told me not to take her dress to the cleaners anymore, because its too far away.
She was sooo excited when we took the Harbor Blvd exit, she knew where she was then. LOL
When we got to the hotel room, i had my DH hang her dress in the closet while she was in the bathroom. When she was done, i told her to put her suitcase in the closet and BOY was she excited!!!
It was a priceless moment...
I know its hard to keep such a good surprise secret, but its worth it!

I totally agree - it is sooo worth it to keep the secret. We kept it a secret last year for our trip in March. We did have to tell our DS 12 because he had a bunch of math homework he had to do so he wouldn't be behind and we wanted him to do it before we left. That way he could enjoy DLR without having to go back to the hotel and do homework - that would have been a total bummer!!! We kept it a secret for 3 or 4 months and it was sooo fun. :thumbsup2 This time we are going right after school is out so no one will have any homework or makeup work at all - so we are keeping it a secret until the morning we leave!!! :banana:

My mother is extremely hypersensitive and shuts down at the though of beans, rice or both so can you imagine a simple trip down the coast. I plan as best I can and have surprised her the first time with a full trip to Escondido then the next year was so unbareablely hot that I did a one hour trip planning session and boom we were in Long Beach. She had to have me insist on Goofy's Kitchen on a last minute notice so she would not have meltdowns.

Some people love the planning and do not get worked up but getting mom an AP and into the parks is going to be some stealth and last minute bombshells, lol.

I want to not only surprise my kids but my hubby also.

How didyou surprise your spouse? The kids?

How do you keep from bursting inside?

I don't ! I have tried many times yet fail to do so an d spill my guts in no time :lmao::lmao: I just get over the top excited. I think Im a bigger kid then the kids are :rolleyes:

My kids are too young to understand the excitement until we get there. But I totally plan on surprising them when they are a little older :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter