• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you keep cool?

lizzyb

DIS Veteran
We are going in July and I dont do so well with heat and neither do my kids. I plan on going to the parks in the morning and evening but going back to the resoot or a waterpark in the afternoon.

Any suggestions??

I've been to Florida in the summer - it's not THAT hot.....Nevada & Arizona are MUCH hotter...the humidity makes it seem worse than it really is

I survived 3 summers in Vegas - the only advice I have is just to keep yourself hydrated :o)

I don't do very well in the heat either (and I'm from the South:confused3 ). My tricks for keeping cool:

Stay well hydrated. WDW gives you free cups of ice water at the CS (anywhere there is a soda machine)

Stay away from sodas, tea or anything else w/ caffeine. (Caffeine dehydrates the body)

Wear a hat. It may seem hot, but it actually helps keep your head cooler.

Get one of those neck cool things(?). (I don't know the name of them, but you soak them in water and they expand (silicone inside); you put it around your neck and it keeps you cool)

I don't like the feel of the above mentioned neck cool things, so I use a bandana. I get it wet and wear it around my neck.

Take as many breaks from the heat as you can. Go inside buildings w/ AC and cool down you body.

Ride water rides (Splash Mountain, Kali River Rapids)

I usually have short hair, so I will get my hair wet in the middle of the day (really cools down the body)

Drink lots of ice water (free at WDW)

I can't think of anything else right now.

We'll also be down in July. (We usually go in the summer because DH is a teacher.)

Your thoughts of doing the parks in the mornings and evenings, and swimming back at your resort in during the hottest part of the day are right on. Also, when it gets really unbearable, you can always quick head into a building (AC) to cool off. I'll echo the PP about staying hydrated - super important. And just take it easy. It's hot, but doable. I have no tolerance for the heat, but if I mentally prepare for heat, I can handle it a little better. Besides, here in Southeastern PA in July it's just as hot as FL.

Oh - and keep reapplying your sunscreen - if your a heavy sweater like myself, you'll sweat it off and need to put more on.

buy one of those misting fans BEFORE you get to the park - you can get them at walmart for around $5 or pay $15 at Disney! They are somewhat bulky but imo, make up for it when waiting in long outdoor lines!

Carry a water bottle with each of you. The popcorn & soda vendors sell a bottle strap that makes it very convenient. Keep a supply of water bottles in your hotel room and equip your family with a bottle each to start off the day. Refill during the day at water fountains or you can pick up new cold bottles from the pocorn vendor. This is probably the #1 survival tip I have.

Throughout the day, plan to duck into an air-conditioned attraction for 20 minutes or so, such as Hall of Presidents or the Land.

Wear comfortable shoes that allow your feet to breathe. The first couple of times I went I wore leather sneakers which were comfortable to walk in but my feet were really hot. I went to one of the outlets and bought some nylon web sneakers that really cooled me off.

I like to stay in the park during the entire day, so I do much of my riding and running around first thin in the morning. When it starts to get hot, I slow it down and take a long lunch, see the less popular attractions and go to more AC rides as well. I know this is not necessarly taking a nap or going to the pool but it works for us.

No matter what I do, I can't get cool when it's sooooo hot out.
I only go to WDW in non-summer months. This year we are going in December.

We are going in July and I dont do so well with heat and neither do my kids. I plan on going to the parks in the morning and evening but going back to the resoot or a waterpark in the afternoon.

Any suggestions??

I am going to disney world in July too. Everyone says the water isn't the best if you want to keep cool. So try to find a water bottle in your own town and fill it with water from the store or tap water works to. I think it works, try it.:beach:

I am going to disney world in July too. Everyone says the water isn't the best if you want to keep cool. So try to find a water bottle in your own town and fill it with water from the store or tap water works to. I think it works, try it.:beach:

As far as keeping you cool, water is water. Doesn't matter the source.

Taste may be a different story.

Just a quick note: Caffeine doesn't dehydrate you. It just doesn't hydrate you nearly as well as water does. So stick to drinking lots of water! I've gotten dehydrated on vacation and it's really not fun. It takes a few days to get over too.

We went last July, and we were FINE.

We loved those misty-fan-water bottle things. We'd purchased cheapie ones at Walmart and they broke the first day (one of them - the battery compartment kept falling off, and the other one - the fan all of a sudden started going BACKWARDS!!!??:confused3 ).........so we bought the $16 ones at WDW and they were GREAT!

Wear hats.

Wear sunscreen - -- it actually helps to KEEP YOU COOL! REALLY!

Drink water (obviously) and eat ICE CREAM! LOL!

We found lots of opportunities to get wet when we were getting toasty. Ride Splash Mountain, play in the fountain in Ariel's grotto, etc.

Also, I had made note of all of the AIR CONDITIONED places in my notecards, so we could escape the heat when needed.

I agree its better to buy the fan type items a little more expensive then the dollar tree as they never last more than a day if that.

I was going to suggest that, that has always worked best for us to split up our days. Also remember to hydrate yourself and we bought a spray fan water bottle that was like gold when we were down there in July. Have fun!

Or if heat REALLY bothers you, buy a cooling vest. They work great! Just put cooling vest under a search engine and you can find different ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter