How do you handle your changing size and clothes? (Inspired by Jody)

tiggerlover

<font color=33CC99>Still waiting for "the talk"<br
Just curious how the folks that have lost lots of weight handle your changing body and the clothing factor. Do you go out and buy clothes for each size, do you wear really baggy clothes for a while or what? I am lucky enough (if you want to call it lucky) to have clothes in three sizes, I just got rid of all of my 22's and my 20's (I saved two of these) and I also have 18's (womens and regulars). I am to the point now where the 18 regulars are baggy and I hate the thought of buying smaller clothes when I hope to be "just passing through" that size. It is a great feeling to be changing sizes, but it could get quite expensive. I did just purchase a bunch of new tops in smaller sizes because I figure they will weather the changes better, but bottoms are another story.

I used to get rid of my clothes as I went up in size, but now I have learned to save them! I have from size 4 (wishful thinking) to size 12 Jeans etc.
I usually shop in Talbots which is on the pricey side, so I learned to save them....just in case!

I WISH I would have that problem! I lost 30 pounds since last June and can STILL wear almost all of the same clothing. I am short (5'2'') so it takes a very big loss to notice the difference. 18 more pounds to go and I will be in ONEderland! I am really hoping to notice a difference by then!

We have some really nice consignment shops around here. Have you ever thought about checking in to a few second hand outfits to get you through to the next size? Maybe even try Ebay?

:D

I had jeans in different sizes going down, so when a pair would get too loose I'd go and get the other ones. It kind of stinks now because I don't have any smaller size jeans so the only pants I have right now are velour sweat pants from Gap and jeans from Fashion Bug.

I tried to get the jeans that were too loose tailored but the woman wouldn't do.

tiggerlover I can relate to your question. I like a dummy sold all of my 12, 14, 16, 18, last year at my garage sale during the summer. I had given up on the fact that i would ever be any size other than a 20 and I found a belk store that had brand clothing in tommy and ralph lauren so i just settled into it. Now after starting my new eating habits the first 10lbs i dropped into 18's which i had 1 pair of levi's so i went and purchased one more pair and i wore them two for 2 weeks after hitting 211 i was able to move on down to a size 16 I was so thrilled I did'nt have any 16's but my dh bought me a pair when i hit my first 10% goal so i had them a week hanging in the closet a goal for me to get into for a concert we were going to. That concert was just last thursday and I wore them! So saturday I went out and bought some black liz jeans and a stone washed pair of tommy jeans and size XL shorts and top to wear around the house. Talk about thrilled so I spend 130'ish bucks on three pairs of jeans and i feel that's enough I don't want a closet full of stuff in 16's cause i don't plan on stopping there. I will buy myself a pair of 14's when i get within 5lbs of hitting my next 10% goal and that's at 190 so i'm 17lbs away right now of that. When I hit onderland i'll go shopping and try some 14's on to guage where i'm at getting into them. I'll buy a couple pairs of them and keep going like that till i hit 10's! Only three more 10% to get there~! It would be nicet to have a clothing exchange on the boards so we all could swap clothes as we shrink and and save some money while we are just passing thru. I'm alwful at shopping for shirts it'd be nice to get hand me downs. I have a closlet full of nice ralph lauren and tommy sweaters and jeans in 2x and 20's i would love to share with someone. Hope my ideas my help you.

I've dropped sizes 4 times, and I didn't have any leftover smaller sizes, so I did it eBay......:D

I buy a couple of pair in smaller sizes in anticipation of fitting into them, and I am selling back the ones I bought that are too large now. There are some really nice jeans on eBay if you spend a little time searching them out! I sell them for about the same price as I paid, so I'm really not out a lot.

I do have a new job starting in about three weeks, and it rquired office style clothes, so I did just spend about $200 on clothing. Didn't have a lot of choice on that one, I hope if I shrink out of them I can sell them on eBay also. :D

I am all in favor of a clothing exchange board!! This is such a good idea! This is my final time of up and down, up and down weight changes. So, my 'big' clothes, will available for free to anyone that wants them! (If I can ever get out of them! ;) )

I just LOOOVE the thought of changing sizes!! I can't wait to start!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I have clothing from size 14 up. So I always have something to wear, may not be in style any more but I've got them.

Jody, I haven't dropped a size either and I've lost a whole bunch of inches :( Oh well, it will happen eventually.

I have had to do some shopping because of living in a different climate and not being pregnant this year (our first Texas winter - we were in Phoenix before and it was much warmer there - I was pregnant with Chloe)... I've tried to shop strategically. I've looked hard for things that have some stretch factor, but are still comfortable enough to wear now, and will be okay as I continue to move down. I also have clothes that I went through as I gained, but plan to be "ruthless" as I clean the closet out on Friday and make sure I only keep the things that are classic lines, good quality, and in good repair. If not it goes! I'm tired of having a closet full of stuff and nothing to wear.

I would rather continue doing some light shopping on clearance racks and find items I can mix and match and shrink through. I work in a very conservative bank/insurance office so I have to have good work clothes, but I've had great luck doing it on a budget.

Hi all...I have lost 42 lbs and have gone from a size 14 to a size 8. My weight lose has been relatively quick (since October) so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on new clothes as the inches were coming off. So now I shop in the used clothing stores and have found some good buys there. Most of the jeans are $6.99 and sweaters are $5.99 and I now proudly wear brand name or designer clothes, that I wouldn't be able to afford new. I find that many of the used clothes are practically new (probably disgarded by someone who has gained a few pounds lol). My wardrobe is much trendier now than in the past. I am also recycling my old clothes out of the closet, as I outgrow them. Hopefully this will be my incentive to keep the weight off this time. I look and feel great! so why would I ever want to fit into those "old" clothes again.
Cheers

CG, I have always loved your clipart. Have you reached your goal weight?

I would love to shop at our local resale shop but unfortunately I'm a little large still. I've tried, believe me. The sizes are mostly 14 and down (my area is full of size 2 career women :rolleyes: )

I will keep looking though, that's a terrific tip.

Will you be joining our support group? I sure hope so :)

I, too, have a closet full of clothes in different sizes! I do plan to clear out the ones in larger sizes if I ever manage to shrink out of them. I still have a lot of pretty good things in smaller sizes that I'm looking forward to getting back into which should get me through my transition period. I'm looking forward to doing some shopping, though, as I get closer to my target weight.

All my clothes are the same size, according to the label. However, they are not all cut the same way! Some of my 10s are starting to fit loose. Some are still too tight to wear in public! ;) However, I am hoping that I have to donate all my 10s to charity and restock my wardrobe with 8s.

I have a dress that I bought in 1999 when I was at my healthiest, thinnest and bestest looking! I never even wore the dress in public (couldn't convince DH to go out dancing with me). Well, when I reach goal this time I am WEARING that dress and dragging DH out by the ears to dance with me. I don't care if the dress isn't in style by the time I can wear it again. I paid for it and I need to get out in public with it on! ;)

Sorry, this wasn't really a good answer to your question! :eek:

I'm still wearing most of my things, but a few are really loose! I don't like anything too tight-fitting but my shirts in particular may be waaaaay too loose soon (not complaining!). I'm not going to buy too much in a smaller size, though, just enough to make do till the next size. I'm determined that this will continue for many more pounds--36.4 is just a start for me!

I've discovered that certain manufacturers and styles are more forgiving of fluctuating weight. I have several pairs of Lee Casual twill pants and shorts with elastic waist insets that fit me when I was 25 pounds heavier, but still don't look terribly baggie now. They also come in denim. The same with the elastic waist Koret type pants and shorts. They may be a little more expensive, but they seem to span 2-3 sizes; snug but wearable at one end, and loose but not tentlike at the other.

I have also had several outfits altered. If the original garment was expensive, of good quality, in prime condition, a favorite, and irreplacable, it might be worth your while to bring it to a seamstress.

However you can manage to do it, I think it's important to always have at least a couple of outfits that fit you well and look good on you, even if you're "just passing through" a size.

We don't want you hiding in the house just because you have nothing to wear!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter