• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you handle TOM?

carmiedog

needs more kool-aid
I'm at 1349 calories/day for losing at my desired rate. But the last couple months I've started feeling awful for about a week due to TOM. No energy. Deep hunger. Nauseous. (I was fine the first few months I started losing weight when I was at a higher calorie level.)

Do you increase your calorie intake around this time? Either to slower weight loss or maintenance level?

I'm also getting a little older, so I don't know how much that plays into it and how much more food would help.

If you have no energy, and you're hungry, then you should ABSOLUTELY up your calories. You need food for fuel and it doesn't sound like you are getting enough. :)

My TOM really doesn't effect me at all (keeping my fingers crossed it always stays that way) but if you are feeling hungry definitely eat. I find if I work out harder it makes me feel better but I know that's not true for everyone.

I found this on another website:

"Sugar craving, fatigue, nausea, and headaches signify a different type of PMS. In addition to sugar, women may crave chocolate, white bread, white rice, pastries, and noodles. These food cravings may be caused by the increased responsiveness to insulin related to increased hormone levels before menstruation. In this circumstance, women may experience symptoms of low blood sugar; their brains are signaling a need for fuel. A consistent diet that includes complex carbohydrates will provide a steady flow of energy to the brain and counter the ups and downs of blood sugar variations."

I have a friend that refuses to work out during her TOM and is a little more lax on her diet. Be good to yourself (within reason ;)) and listen to your body.

I always know when mine's coming, because I can NEVER get enough to eat the day before!! What I *want* to do during that time is curl up in a ball with several bags of chips and boxes of ice cream and a large bottle of Advil... I force myself to get my hiney to the gym and at LEAST take a good walk on the treadmill.

I actually try not to vary my diet too terribly much (other than drinking more water and less other, cuz it helps the cramps) because for me it would probably be the beginning of the end of my healthy eating, but I usually end up sneaking something in there. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter