• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you handle the excitement?

mundaremom

Mouseketeer
Or maybe I should say I do you deal with the excitement? We leave in 4 more days, our two kids (11/6) don't know about the trip, we are going to tell them at the airport, trust me the lies that have been told are going to cause a very lengthy visit to confession when we return! My brother and his are also flying in to spend the trip with us, his family has never been, his kids have never been on a plane (9/12), so you can see my excitement. I can't sleep, I am trying not to give away the surprise, but it is so hard. I can't down the days, then the hours! I am going loopy!!!!!!!! I talk in code when my husband calls or friends who know about the trip. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I handle it the same way, no sleeping for about the week before. I lay in bed going over and over the plans. You have it even worse because you can't talk about it. I don't know what I'd do if I had to hold it all in.

Watch a lot of Disney movies this week (they'll never know why) Plan and re-plan and then re-plan. There really is no cure for it until you get there! Have a great trip!

Plan Plan Plan, that keeps me busy, also, visit these boards a lot, it helps with the excitment. Just think you are so close now, the time will really fly by and before you know it you will be off.

If you're like me, you'll also have to apologize to the kids for being so snappy! I get so focused on not telling that I get borderline paranoid about any question or comment they make!!! :lmao: It's a good thing surprise trips are so worth it---I'm terrible for them to live with before they start!!! :Pinkbounc

Be thankful you can talk to your spouse! DH once planned a DL trip for him and I without telling me or the kids! One day my parents showed up from AZ, and nobody knew why---it was hysterical.

mundaremom said:
Or maybe I should say I do you deal with the excitement? We leave in 4 more days, our two kids (11/6) don't know about the trip, we are going to tell them at the airport, trust me the lies that have been told are going to cause a very lengthy visit to confession when we return! My brother and his are also flying in to spend the trip with us, his family has never been, his kids have never been on a plane (9/12), so you can see my excitement. I can't sleep, I am trying not to give away the surprise, but it is so hard. I can't down the days, then the hours! I am going loopy!!!!!!!! I talk in code when my husband calls or friends who know about the trip. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!

awww you poor thing...well everybody had some good suggestions...I guess you just need to be on here all the time and talk talk talk away about it...it will be here in no time....

ps...take a sleeping pill at night...else you will be so tired at DL :guilty:

Oh... I feel for you... The waiting is the worst :hourglass We aren't going for another 33 days, but we have already planned, and planned again... :Pinkbounc It must be hard to keep such a great secret. :thumbsup2
I am soo thankful to have found these boards! I visit the boards, the disneyland site, and then to the windows local live map so I can visit the park in the cyberspace world :wizard: Oh, how I can't wait for our trip to get here already!!!

Have a great trip!!

mundaremom said:

:sad2: You sound just like me. I just started a thread talking about a trip 8 and a half months from now. I need help myself. Sorry, I can't deal with the wait that well. I need pity.

wendypooh22 said:
Oh... I feel for you... The waiting is the worst :hourglass We aren't going for another 33 days, but we have already planned, and planned again...

:sad2: At least your trip isn't eight and a half months away.

:rotfl: I understand you completely. Its so difficult keeping a secret like that. But you know what? It is totally worth the wait. I've surprised my dad with a trip and didnt tell him until we got to the airport. Poor guy cried in public. It was amazing. So I do understand how you feel.

But only a few more days :banana: and your outa here and your going to have the time of your life with your overly surprised and overly excited children. LOL!

Just keep talking in code. Your kids will appreciate your efforts.

PattiPB said:
If you're like me, you'll also have to apologize to the kids for being so snappy! I get so focused on not telling that I get borderline paranoid about any question or comment they make!!! :lmao: It's a good thing surprise trips are so worth it---I'm terrible for them to live with before they start!!! :Pinkbounc

Be thankful you can talk to your spouse! DH once planned a DL trip for him and I without telling me or the kids! One day my parents showed up from AZ, and nobody knew why---it was hysterical.

Oh my god, I am so that person, snappy, the kids don't know if I am coming or going some days.

Thanks for the advise everyone!!!!!!

I am going 1 month 1 week and 2 days and I can't even think right, I wanna jump out of my skin. :santa:

We're going in May (DSis, DNie 10, DNep 9, and me) but I only have to keep it a secret for 39 more days. (We're telling the kids at our family christmas party). Gotta explain why they're getting americain money for Christmas and why they can't spend it. :cool1: Not telling them is sooo hard.

But there is a bright side to a surprise trip. Our last trip we told the kids right away and it was the longest 10 months of their lives. Ours too. It's easier on them this way.

I've been keeping myself occupied imagining how we're going to tell them. I thought we'd get them each a small calendar for xmas and tell them it was all we could afford this year. (the vacation would be marked down in the calendar) I can just imagine the total meltdown. "Whattt??? Nooooo!!!!!'
or we'd make up a flip down sign saying
we're sorry we couldn't afford gifts this xmas...
but we spent all our money on the month of May...
when we will be going to...
San Diego Zoo...
Universal Studios...
Seaworld...
and...
DISNEYLAND...

However you let the secret out be sure to have the camcorder ready. It'll be a moment they'll remember for the rest of their lives! :goodvibes

I just thought I would add that I'm in the same boat as you. We are leaving on Dec 16th for a 4 night stay at the Paradise Pier on the 17th. We are keeping this a secret from my ds (7) and our dd (2). To make things even worse, I just got plane tickets last week :banana: and my son has been begging to go on a plane for about 2 years, we always tell him it's just too expensive. So now we have two secrets to keep: first trip to Disneyland and first airplane ride! To top things off, both sets of grandparents are going to show up at Disneyland on the Monday after we get there to really add to the surprise. :grouphug: My husband and I are going absolutely BONKERS, trying to keep this all in! Every Friday night for the last month has been Disney movie night, we seem to take weekly trips to the Disney store at our local mall lately as well. And I have to say that I am a disboard junkie! :surfweb: I swear I check this site at least 4-5 times a day, just to see if there is anything that I can to my list of things to do there.

Anyways..........
Now that I look like a complete fanatic,
I will leave to your planning!

Kathy

Definately get the moment of video...I would love to see their faces when you tell them...Have a great time!

mundaremom said:

I am going through the same thing! we leave on Friday (the 17th) and I am about to burst from keeping this surprise!
Have a great trip!

i asked a 7 year old girl at 11:30PM if she was tired... she said no... i asked her parents if they were tired... they were like... SOOOOOOOO TIIIIIRED... XD

Just make sure you blow to suprise on that day or else you have restless kids :P

I listen to disney music and watch the movies all the time... I talk about it to anyone who will listen. My poor DH is sooo tired of hearing it. I post comments on his myspace counting down. I'm am nuts but I only have 3 days left til I leave! :dance3: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter