How do you handle/prepare for the water rides?

jtowntoflorida

Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney
We did our first family trip to US/IOA in June. I'd been to IOA back when it was in soft opening in the 90s, and vaguely remembered getting really, really wet on the rides, but I'd forgotten about how totally drenched you get on Bluto's Bilgerat Barges in particular. That being said...I don't think we've ever laughed as hard on a ride as we did on the Barges and we look forward to doing it again in a few weeks. Would it be overkill to change into our swimsuits (with appropriate covers, of course) before hitting the water rides and then changing back into dry clothes after? Because in June, we were so soaked and had to squish our way back to HRH to change before dinner, and even in the June heat, that was not comfortable, at all. Just wondering what others do.

What I do is pack a dry outfit to change to when I am done with the wet rides after I am done with them
I keep the dry outfit in a pay lowe to change I thought I'll finish this sentence agree I finish my last. Bourbon

We're doing water rides right before a break this trip so that we can go back to the room and change afterward. I'm not going to tell you about the December trip a couple of years ago when we were so cold and wet that we purchased new outfits.

It would not be overkill at all - in fact, that is what DBF and I did once, when we did Popeye's about 3X in a row. :) I think that day we arrived at IoA in the afternoon, already dressed in our swimsuits (with dry clothes over them initially), and we put our bags in the paid lockers nearby (and had different beach-y cover ups for the ride). Then we rode the ride. We changed back into dry clothes afterwards. It makes the water rides much more enjoyable this way!

Yep, we take one morning, arrive at opening, do all the water rides to our content, then go back to the room, and change. Though, we've been known to ride a few of the rides on our way out when it was hot.

We always wear bathing suit under quick dry clothes, with flip flops or sandals that are made to get wet. No camera or other, just our waterproof lanyard, with room key and express pass, and that's it.

All three rides can get you really wet. JP, sometimes not that wet, with Popeye's being like you jumped in a pool.

I would not be so prone to ride when it's cold out.

We all enjoy the water rides! Have fun.

We are going in January, but it's my first trip and I refuse to miss the Jurassic Park River Adventure. I'm bringing clothes to change into, will ride the ride, then change back into my regular clothes.

We can do Jurassic Park at any time as you don't get soaked, just really wet. Find a sunny place to dry out for a bit.

For the other two, we only do in the warm months and wait to do them until we are ready to leave the park and then do them multiple times, since we're drowned rats already.

We can do Jurassic Park at any time as you don't get soaked, just really wet. Find a sunny place to dry out for a bit.

For the other two, we only do in the warm months and wait to do them until we are ready to leave the park and then do them multiple times, since we're drowned rats already.

We got completely soaked on JP this past weekend. The boat was full, all adults, so it was heavier than usual and we could not believe how wet we got. The next day, just a few splashes. You can't count on not getting soaked.

OP - We wear our bathing suits under quick dry shorts and tanks. We usually do the water rides early afternoon before a break or save them for the end of the day. If we're heading back to the room after the rides we just squish our way back, it's not great but it's easier than changing. If we won't be going back to the room immediately, we bring a change of clothes and use the lockers at Bluto's. We then walk up to JP and work our way back to Bluto's, riding each multiple times. Tip - bring a small towel as it's really hard to put dry clothes on a wet body!!!

I guess I'm a weirdo... :-) I bring a poncho on the days when I plan to ride the water rides! They're super lightweight and easy to carry in my drawstring backpack....

I guess I'm a weirdo... :-) I bring a poncho on the days when I plan to ride the water rides! They're super lightweight and easy to carry in my drawstring backpack....

Have you used on on Bluto's? Anyone I've seen wear one still gets totally soaked. The water runs down the front, down the back, comes up from the floor into the seat, you name it.

Forgot to mention that we wear flip flops or sandals that are ok in water on the day we plan to ride the wet rides too. No sneakers!

IMO, the whole point and the fun of the water rides is to get wet and cool off.

Since I go in the off-season whenever possible, I'm often in the situation where I want to go on the ride but don't particularly want to get wet or cool off. :-)

I have NOT gone on Bluto's.... yet. :-)

Love the water rides! We were there a few weeks ago. On our IOA day, we wore quick dry clothing and keen sandals. We did the Harry Potter stuff first, Raptor Encounter, then hit the water rides. Didn't get too wet on Jurassic Park and Ripsaw falls but were drenched after Bilge Rats! They do have people dryers. Not sure what they cost. We had cool towels with us that we had not wet yet and just dried off a little with those. We sat on a bench and people watched a little before going on Spiderman. It was in the low 90s so being wet felt good! Take ziplock bags to keep essentials dry!

Since I go in the off-season whenever possible, I'm often in the situation where I want to go on the ride but don't particularly want to get wet or cool off. :-)

I have NOT gone on Bluto's.... yet. :-)

This! I'm going in January where temps might be in the high 60's or low 70's. No desire to stay wet in those temps.

Yep, we take one morning, arrive at opening, do all the water rides to our content, then go back to the room, and change. Though, we've been known to ride a few of the rides on our way out when it was hot.

We always wear bathing suit under quick dry clothes, with flip flops or sandals that are made to get wet. No camera or other, just our waterproof lanyard, with room key and express pass, and that's it.

All three rides can get you really wet. JP, sometimes not that wet, with Popeye's being like you jumped in a pool.

I would not be so prone to ride when it's cold out.

We all enjoy the water rides! Have fun.

This is what we do. In the summer DS and I do a few mornings like this then return to DW poolside for lunch and swimming for the afternoon.

Ponchos don't help if you're destined to really get wet. Water goes under them behind them and down the neckline. Might prevent the bra area from being soaked but everything else might be.

Wear quick dry clothes or have a complete second set of clothes, just in case, in a waterproof container.

They do have people dryers. Not sure what they cost.

Useless. Something like $5. And they don't dry you unless you're in quick dry clothing. And they definitely don't dry cotton underpants through cotton clothes! Ask dh about it lol. Poor guy.

It is nice that all the water rides are close together. This past trip, we brought a change of clothes with (do not forget underwear!) and did the water rides towards park closing. Since I didn't want to pay for a locker, I just wrapped my bag in a poncho and took it with us. We rode til we were done and then changed into dry clothes so that we could stop at Hard Rock for dinner on the way back to the room. I had the clothes laid out for a day and a half in the room and they wouldn't dry so I ended up throwing them in a dryer at the resort so I could pack them to come home. You get drenched!

Luckily, my daughter hates water rides and refuses to go on them, so she'll hang onto my stuff (and my dry change of clothes)

Ponchos don't help if you're destined to really get wet. Water goes under them behind them and down the neckline. Might prevent the bra area from being soaked but everything else might be.

Wear quick dry clothes or have a complete second set of clothes, just in case, in a waterproof container.

Useless. Something like $5. And they don't dry you unless you're in quick dry clothing. And they definitely don't dry cotton underpants through cotton clothes! Ask dh about it lol. Poor guy.

On JP River Adventure and Ripsaw Falls, I've always stayed 100% dry under the poncho. But I have a feeling that Bluto might be a different story... I'll try to remember to report back after this winter's trip. :-D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter