How do you get big diamonds at low cost?

LooJohn

Earning My Ears
Hii,
I am looking for diamond wedding rings. I think diamond rings are more elegant and pretty when it has big stones. We are planning to have a low budget marriage so we are looking for diamonds which are simple but sparkling and shining. Do you have any ideas regarding selecting diamonds at low cost? Suggest your ideas, please.

I would suggest avoiding all big chain jewelry stores, they mark up their jewelry significantly. Diamond Direct and Blue Nile are the way to go as far as getting a good deal on a diamond. DF ordered my ring from Diamond Direct and ended up paying several thousand less than he would have paid at a big chain store. I would also suggest researching diamond characteristics, such as color, clarity, cut, etc. Diamond prices jump significantly as you go from .5 ct. to 1 ct and so on, so that is also something to consider. Different cuts can also be more expensive, Round being the most, then Princess, but there are many other cuts to choose from that are less expensive. If you do your research, you should be able to find a combination of color, cut & clarity that will work best for you and your budget.

One tip I've heard is to look at Costco for diamond rings. I have no idea if that works, but in the past they have guaranteed the quality and that it will appraise at a certain percentage over what you paid.

I would suggest avoiding all big chain jewelry stores, they mark up their jewelry significantly. Diamond Direct and Blue Nile are the way to go as far as getting a good deal on a diamond. DF ordered my ring from Diamond Direct and ended up paying several thousand less than he would have paid at a big chain store. I would also suggest researching diamond characteristics, such as color, clarity, cut, etc. Diamond prices jump significantly as you go from .5 ct. to 1 ct and so on, so that is also something to consider. Different cuts can also be more expensive, Round being the most, then Princess, but there are many other cuts to choose from that are less expensive. If you do your research, you should be able to find a combination of color, cut & clarity that will work best for you and your budget.
I agree. The main diamond on my bridal set (2 carats) has an occlusion/flaw. I can see it because I know it's there and where it is (the jeweler also showed it to us under some type of microscope tool). But when asked to see it, no one has ever noticed. We purchased it at a reputable store in Jewelers Row in Philadelphia, and the process took hours because we were shown several different diamond combinations. You'd be surprised at what you can buy for how much.

I would suggest avoiding all big chain jewelry stores, they mark up their jewelry significantly. Diamond Direct and Blue Nile are the way to go as far as getting a good deal on a diamond.

I second Diamonds Direct!

We have a friend who's husband got 4 diamonds and put them together to make them look like a bigger diamond.

There's also this.

eng735.jpg

I had a jeweler friend make a ring look like a Tiffany ring but he was able to get the diamond from a site like Blue Nile/Diamond.com and got it at cost as a favor.

Thank you, Guys.
I heard that slender prongs and halo around the stones can make the diamond ring look bigger from an article http://www.pheradiamonds.com/how-to-make-your-engagement-ring-look-bigger/. Is it true? Also, will the round shape stone give more sparkling and shining look?

Yes, there are definitely settings that will make your diamond look bigger. Zales has a collection of settings that are made to make the diamond look bigger than it is, I would go and ask them if you can look at those settings so you can get an idea of what you want to look for. I would avoid purchasing there, though, because they are way more expensive than smaller jewelers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter