How do you get an Upgrade on your resort room?

My husband and I have been upgraded our last 3 stays! First was our honeymoon, we were upgraded from WL standard view to courtyard view. Then we went to AKL for our first anniversary and were upgraded from standard view to pool view. Then last year we went for our 3rd anniversary and my birthday and we were upgraded from WL standard view to courtyard view, lobby room. It was awesome! We do let them know of our special occasions so I am pretty sure that is why we keep getting upgraded.

We had some pixie dust prinkled on us!! :goodvibes it was my very first time to WDW, it had been my DH's 7th time (he has since created a Disney monster out of me!:lmao:) and my very first time we checked in we received an upgrade! it was THE perfect way to start off my very first trip to Disney, since then i have been hooked!:love:

Our first trip staying on property was Sept 2006. When we check in they gave us a perfered room at ASMU. it was nice.

Sylvia in MN

We received a wonderful upgrade recently. It was not at the discretion of the desk clerk. It was already noted in the computer and popped up when she checked us in. She was as excited as we were!

My family and I were upgrated last year at the WL. We were celebrating my dads birthday. I called beforehand to have it noted in the system. I dont know if that helped upgrade our rooms but moved up to the next tier up.

We were upgraded on our 2nd family trip. First trip we stayed at CSR. A few years later we splurged on the Poly! I did so much research before hand and had requested a particular long house. (I know you all can appreciate online research) Well, we checked in and our request was honored. This was at the time they were rehabbing the rooms at the Poly. We didn't get a rehab room, but our first choice on long house. We entered the room and I could not have been more dissapointed! The room looked as I expected as far as decor...I had seen too many pictures ahead of time, but the room smelled...I don't know how to explain it...it seemed musty and moldy!!! Suddenly, our paradise was diminished...all that money and planning and I was just uncomfortable with it. I almost felt like they must have must have power washed the room. My husband left us there and we did not unpack...I didn't know what to do. Then the phone rang...it was my husband calling from the front desk...he was working with a CM...would I be happy if they moved us to Hawaii longhouse. :yay: Of course, I knew that was concierge level. My husband returned with a bell hop and they moved us. The new room was garden view, but with concierge. This room was an old one too, not yet rehabbed, but most importantly, the room felt dry and no moldy smell. We would have never been able to pay for concierge, but we were so lucky. We took advantage of it daily for breakfast. Now we always talk about getting lucky again, but we probably used up all our pixie dust on that one.

We were upgraded last year during our 1st family trip. We stayed at Contemporary resort, and had booked a room in the garden wing but when we arrived, we were told that we were the family of the day and was upgraded to the tower with a magic kingdom view in the concierge level! It was a great way to start our first family vacation, and definitely a magical moment for our family.

I reserve the room I want and don't think anything about it.

If I am offered an upgrade, it's an extra magical moment-- just like when a CM offers something special in the parks-- whether it's a lollipop while standing in a long line or whatever.

I've been upgraded twice. The first time because SoG was overbooked and there literally wasn't a room to be had, they moved us to Contemporary.

The second time was just about three years ago and it was at POP. My daughter was terrified of heights/elevators. I was having trouble convincing her that it would be alright when a management level cast member emerged from the elevator. He walked back to the Classic Hall with us and with a quick few clicks on a terminal he and the lady that had just told me there were no first floor rooms available (even though I had specifically requested it when booking) found that there was a room in the 50's building right next to the Classic Hall on the first floor.

But we are hoping for an upgrade to the castle this time! :yay: Darling daughter is past her fear of heights now.

1) The computer screens does denote an upgrade.
2) But, the computer did not do it.
3) It was upgraded by the "ROOMS" person, and noted on the ressie.
4) There are some upgrades done at check-in, but very seldom.

5) Reasons for upgrades done in-advance
. . . over booking of a room type/view/price
. . . groups come to the resort, so some single-room ressies get upgraded
. . . families (eg. Grand Gatherings) want rooms close, so others are upgraded
. . . out of service rooms
. . . maximization of rooms occupancy (balancing capacity and bookings)
6) Reasons for upgrades at check-in
. . . the CM likes you when you check-in
. . . the phase of the moon

I have been upgraded a few times, and all I have done is been polite. Especially when I see them slammed with people.

My suggestion is just to be as nice and polite as possible. Even if you don't get the upgrade it should improve your mood for the day, and the people around you will appreciate your pleasant attitude.
I know that when people are rude to me about things, I shut down and I am less likely to go out of my way to help them.

In about 18 trips now, since '99, our family has gotten maybe two upgrades. One was in '03, at the CR. We booked a standard room, in the north garden wing. Assumed we would be facing the parking lot area. Nope, we were looking out on the lake...very nice. I have a feeling our DU agent may have mentioned it was my birthday trip but I'm not sure.
The other time it was my dh that got upgraded. I had arrived on Jan 12, with adult dd, staying at POP before we moved to BWV on Monday, the 14th. Dh and younger dd, arrived at YC on Jan 13...dh was there for a Transitions conf. Dd traveled with him to let her big sister have some alone time with mom. Anyway...younger dd was going to move to POP with us, while dh stayed at YC for the 3 nights. To his immense surprise, as well as mine, the front desk person looked at him and said.."Well, someone is going to be happy..you've been upgraded to our concierge level thanks to the YOMD!!! Lucky you!!" I couldn't believe it...all those trips and he is in a room, by himself, that his company is paying for, and he gets an upgrade to concierge. His boss was in a regular ole standard room, as were the two brokers dh had brought along, his company's treat!!!

We tend to hear a lot about those wonderful upgrades here on the DIS. But, in all reality, they just don't happen all that much. It's really the luck of the draw.

We booked a standard room at WL and were upgraded to inner court yard upper floor bunk bed with a view of the lake.....:cloud9: Lovely I tell ya, just lovely.

Last year we were upgraded from CR garden wing to tower Bay view. I'm pretty sure it was due to our check out date. Everyone on our part of the floor checked out on the same day (A Wed) and they were painting all the rooms - even before we checked out I might add!

That's not what you said though. You said it was determined by the computer. That's not the case. It's determined by a person, the computer just reflects the upgrade when someone checks in.
I knew exactly what he/she was talking about the first time.. maybe it was just unclear. I think they meant that the CM doesnt know until they look the person up, which is true.
OP, more often than not it seems the upgrade happens before you even get there. I know I've seen a few people post that when checking their reservation on line that they've noticed the change in category. CMs do occasionally give an upgrade on their own at check-in, but there are most likely a hundred factors that go into it. The mood of the CM, how much the CM likes you, the available rooms in the resort, etc.

Either way, it's not something I'd count on. It's just a bonus if it happens. The thing about sites like these are you read time after time about people getting upgraded. They come back all excited from their trips. Now, how many people report back and say, "I got exactly what I paid for!!" It gives a false sense of just how rare these upgrades are.

Not exactly true.. front desk CMs do NOT have the authority to upgrade.. we can't even physically do. There is no button on the screen where you can change room categories. If someone wants a better room, we have to call the back office room assigners and 99% of the time they say no. As said earlier, they're done as random magical moments by the room assigners a couple of days before you arrive.

I'm not personally attacking you.. I hope it hasn't come out that way. We honestly hate when people ASK for something free because we have people try and take advantage of us waaaaaay too often. We are told during training that when people ask for upgrades, tell them that they are not complimentary and will be charged for them. For some reason people get really upset at the desk when I tell them that they get what they pay for... especially when they see someone else get a Magical Moment next to them. I wish we could do it for everyone but obviously we can't.

I knew exactly what he/she was talking about the first time.. maybe it was just unclear. I think they meant that the CM doesnt know until they look the person up, which is true.

Not exactly true.. front desk CMs do NOT have the authority to upgrade.. we can't even physically do. There is no button on the screen where you can change room categories. If someone wants a better room, we have to call the back office room assigners and 99% of the time they say no. As said earlier, they're done as random magical moments by the room assigners a couple of days before you arrive.

I'm not personally attacking you.. I hope it hasn't come out that way. We honestly hate when people ASK for something free because we have people try and take advantage of us waaaaaay too often. We are told during training that when people ask for upgrades, tell them that they are not complimentary and will be charged for them. For some reason people get really upset at the desk when I tell them that they get what they pay for... especially when they see someone else get a Magical Moment next to them. I wish we could do it for everyone but obviously we can't.

I Have To Agree With U When U Say "You Get What You Pay For" I Would Never Expect To Be Upgraded To A Higher Standard Of Room,If I Wanted That I Make Sure & Book It First Time Around.I Would Never Just Assume That I Would Be Offered It..It Must Be So Nice When It Does Happen,It Must Make The Guest's Day:)

Well for me I really dont care about room upgrades, I spend so little time in my room it makes no difference to me. I just prefer to not look at a parking lot when I am in the room for that short time.

My wife books our trips, if I dont like where I am I will pay for an upgrade if it bothers me that much. It rarely has. I am much more snobby when it comes to seating at restaurants and will wait for a better table if I have to.

Not exactly true.. front desk CMs do NOT have the authority to upgrade.. we can't even physically do. There is no button on the screen where you can change room categories.

1) I am not sure where you received training.
2) We upgrade people at the Front Desk or Concierge Desk all the time.
3) All you do is put in the room code for the upgraded room type.
4) It shows all the rooms & dates available in that category.
5) Then, you input the room number from the available list.
6) You can also
. . . change the cost of the room
. . . add/subtract/change the people in the room
. . . assign different credit cards to different room keys *
. . . swipe old tickets onto new room keys
. . . give free fruit baskets or champagne baskets
. . . give free meals or other free goodies
7) I don't do it often, but if I like the people for some reason, I will bump them up (even to Club Floor).
8) However, I never, and will never, upgrade anyone who asks for it.
9) They are trying to get something for nothing.

* In this way, every person in the room can have their room key apply charges to their own credit card instead of having one credit card per room and trying to split out the purchases later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter