How do you fit it all in on embarkation day?

Maybe get out of the pool by three and have the children shower/bathe before muster. After muster and the sail away party, you should have time to get ready yourself if you're quick. Or let your DH stay at the party with your girls while you get ready. Or let them shower after dinner. A bit of chlorine/bromine at that age is not the end of the world.

Muster is pivotal. Late for that and everyone else at your station is impacted.

I agree with others that the first day is rather hectic. I would try to simplify things as much as possible. Have a great cruise.

Bring some casual clothes in a day bag. Or wear something cruise casual on to the ship and change into pool clothes, that way you don't need to wait for luggage to arrive to get ready, you'll already have your clothes with you. You will find people in many states of dress, especially the first night's dinner.

Get mostly ready before the sail away party, then touch up after. The person who takes the longest should def have their stuff ready to go before the party.

And another point to note: you don't have to be 'early' for dinner. The first night in each restaurant takes a bit of time for them to seat everyone (after the first 3 nights, you should know where you sit). So even if you arrive 'on time', you will probably wait a while. So if you are 10 min late, you most likely won't be late at all. No stress!!!

We shower in the morning. We're over that whole "wow, a pool on a ship" thing. They're crowded, wild & overrated so we quick unpack until the muster drill, then unpack some more and just run up to the sail away party for the countdown & horn blast. Just walking around the deck blows your hair every which way so I go back to the room & brush before heading to dinner. I don't feel dirty at all.

I guess I was just figuring we'd all need showers after being in the pool for a couple hours then standing around in the florida sun/heat watching the show (we're from Ohio....we melt in that kind of heat and humidity :rotfl2: ) before sitting down to dinner. I know I don't particularly want to go to dinner with chlorine hair, BO, and make-up melting down my face (not that I wear it during the day, but I'd wear it to dinner). We'd look like a bunch of rag-a-muffins, as my grandma would say. ;) IDK, I guess I'm in the minority... :confused3

I completely undertstand! We live in Texas and " glisten" a lot 6 months of the year. I would also prefer to freshen up before dinner.

Maybe get out of the pool by three and have the children shower/bathe before muster. After muster and the sail away party, you should have time to get ready yourself if you're quick. Or let your DH stay at the party with your girls while you get ready. Or let them shower after dinner. A bit of chlorine/bromine at that age is not the end of the world.

Muster is pivotal. Late for that and everyone else at your station is impacted.

I agree with others that the first day is rather hectic. I would try to simplify things as much as possible. Have a great cruise.

That's a GREAT idea! :thumbsup2 Thanks!

I guess I was just figuring we'd all need showers after being in the pool for a couple hours then standing around in the florida sun/heat watching the show (we're from Ohio....we melt in that kind of heat and humidity :rotfl2: ) before sitting down to dinner. I know I don't particularly want to go to dinner with chlorine hair, BO, and make-up melting down my face (not that I wear it during the day, but I'd wear it to dinner). We'd look like a bunch of rag-a-muffins, as my grandma would say. ;) IDK, I guess I'm in the minority... :confused3

I guess I'm in the minority with you!! I usually showered 3 times a day on our cruise - in the morning, before dinner and before bed. It was so humid that I just felt gross without showering. I did learn that I had to get ready quickly. I never spent much time with my hair b/c it looked horrible again 10 minutes after doing it :confused3

On embarkation day, we unpacked everything and laid out our clothes for dinner that evening. We stayed on deck until we got out in the ocean, and still managed to make it to get ready and be at dinner on time.

Bring some casual clothes in a day bag. Or wear something cruise casual on to the ship and change into pool clothes, that way you don't need to wait for luggage to arrive to get ready, you'll already have your clothes with you. You will find people in many states of dress, especially the first night's dinner.

Get mostly ready before the sail away party, then touch up after. The person who takes the longest should def have their stuff ready to go before the party.

And another point to note: you don't have to be 'early' for dinner. The first night in each restaurant takes a bit of time for them to seat everyone (after the first 3 nights, you should know where you sit). So even if you arrive 'on time', you will probably wait a while. So if you are 10 min late, you most likely won't be late at all. No stress!!!

Good ideas. Thanks! How often is the luggage not there by dinner? I have seen that on here a few times. Just wondering if that's the exception or the norm?

It can happen decently often. It's no reason to panic, though. It takes a whole lot to get luggage to so many passengers. Some of your suitcases may arrive before you leave port, while there is a straggler or 2 that arrive right before dinner. We had a room across from the area that houses luggage for our floor. They carry most via the stairs!! And just make a huge pile and go from there.

You should always prepare for your luggage coming in later and be surprised when its there early!!

Rooms are available at 1:30. My DW carries on her bag with the make-up and stuff so prior to the Muster at 3:45 she does the touch-up make-up stuff, if it is not 300 degrees on deck. If it is 300 degrees she waites til after the Muster.

Dinner is served beginning at 5:45. There is no need to be there early because the MDR's are not open. Luggage should be there by around 3pm or so. You can lay stuff out to speed things up after the party. You can be a few minutes late to dinner on the first night. It is kind of crazy the first night anyway. Don't miss the party to be ON TIME for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter