How do you feel about people who stay at SOG (kind of long)

To the OP and all of the other brave men and women who sacrifice so much to preserve our freedoms, THANK YOU.

There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do Disney. It's about the magic that it brings to you and your family. I hope your trip is filled with magic that will be remembered for years to come! pixiedust:

She sounds like a real bore. Disney the right way is anyway you can do it. As long as you are with your loved ones having a great time, which resort you stay in is not so important. We had a blast when we stayed at Pop! I;ve never seen SOG, but I bet everyone that stays there is happy to do so. Sorry she got to you. You had no reason to be embarrassed....unless you were embarrassed for her. :thumbsup2

OP, that woman is an idiot! SOG used to be called the Golf Resort and was considered a Disney deluxe.

Wow! I would never hang out with that lady; actually "lady" is too good of a description for her.
I stayed at SOG before it was SOG, it was The Disney Inn and it was considered a deluxe resort. It was a beautiful place and I paid $180 a night and that was in 1993! I think anyone is lucky to stay there whether it is called Shades of Green or Disney Inn, it's the same resort in the same excellent location.
Tell that awful person that next time you see her.

We were at a anniversary party last night for a some friends of ours. They are very well off, she is a lawyer, he is a Dr. You can imagine the "money" that was at the party. I am a SGT. in the Army and my wife is a surgical tech. Anyway, we were talking to another couple who we had just met and mentioned that we were heading to WDW over Thanksgiving. She asked where we were staying at I told her SOG. The lady sort of smiled, then got this look on her face like I offended her. Then she said that she could never stay anywhere but the GF or Poly concierge. She could not imagine staying anywhere else. Then she said, and these are her exact words. "I feel sorry for people who can't afford to do Disney the right way." I really did not know what to say after that. So I excused myself, because I have to admit I was a bit embarassed.

So I guess my question to all of you is do you feel sorry for someone who can afford to stay at delux, or even a mod? And can someone out there please exlpain to me what she ment by "doing disney the right way"

Well as other PP have said-SoG is as deluxe as you can get. So I guess all you're missing is the concierge. Oh the humanity.....

And I feel sorry for me-because everytime we try to get a room at SoG it's sold out. SO BLAH!

While we're at it....GO NAVY lol!:rolleyes1

We were at a anniversary party last night for a some friends of ours. They are very well off, she is a lawyer, he is a Dr. You can imagine the "money" that was at the party. I am a SGT. in the Army and my wife is a surgical tech. Anyway, we were talking to another couple who we had just met and mentioned that we were heading to WDW over Thanksgiving. She asked where we were staying at I told her SOG. The lady sort of smiled, then got this look on her face like I offended her. Then she said that she could never stay anywhere but the GF or Poly concierge. She could not imagine staying anywhere else. Then she said, and these are her exact words. "I feel sorry for people who can't afford to do Disney the right way." I really did not know what to say after that. So I excused myself, because I have to admit I was a bit embarassed.

So I guess my question to all of you is do you feel sorry for someone who can afford to stay at delux, or even a mod? And can someone out there please exlpain to me what she ment by "doing disney the right way"

What a rude lady! :sad2:I have so much respect for those in the military. I grew up in a military family and think that it is a privilige and an honor to get to stay at SOG. There are a lot of people out there with money who choose to stay at value resorts because they like them and some people who skimp and save for years to stay at Deluxe resorts because they like them. Staying at SOG is not a resort that all people qualify for and is very special....and from what I have heard deluxe. (we do not qualify to stay there) "Doing Disney the right way"??? What the heck? That is a very silly and catty thing to say. There is no right or wrong way to do Disney. The whole point is to have a fun vacation with your family and spend time together IMHO. I will share with you that I have had friends say similar things to us before at dinner parties. I think some people are insecure or have low self esteem and need to put others down to make themselves feel better. Thank you for serving our country. That lady was completely out of line. I would steer clear of them next time ;)

Thank you for serving our country.

That rude lady needs a life....

Enjoy your vacation, SOG is a great resort.

Fremantle / Perth...20 Years...10-16 Nov 89 ;)

Rude, ungrateful cad. She embarrased herself greatly. Ignore her drivel.

First of all, thanks to your family for serving our country.

Next, I was fortunate to stay at SOG a few years ago (BIL is Air Force), and it is a GREAT resort. I've stayed at many Disney resorts ranging from CR, BC, CSR, CBR, FW Cabins, and All Stars. SOG ranks with the deluxes-period. Check out the ice cream parlor! They have great sundaes!

"Doing Disney right" - What a line! No matter where we have stayed, and how we toured the parks it was "right for our family". We will do things others I am sure would laugh at, and of course others do things that we would never do.
Enjoy your SOG/Disney vacation. I'm sure your family will have a great time.

Wow. The nerve of some people. She didn't even think to acknowledge the sacrifices you make serving our country. You think she would have remarked on that and been awed by the fact that you could stay there as a reward for your service.
This past spring we stayed for the first time and got some raised eye brows for telling people we were staying at Pop Century. I mean how dare we spend $65 a night to sleep as opposed to squandering $300 a night of our hard earned money just to have a slightly nicer bed and a water slide? We spent less than $1500 on that vacation, even got the dining plan, and had a blast! I love the thrill of being able to save a buck, even if we don't have to.
What a shallow wench.
Don't you wish you could get back that moment and stick it to her ;)?

I would have looked at her, smiled, and said "Actually, the rooms at SOG are just as large as a room at the Grand Floridian, at a much more affordable price. You couldn't stay there though....it's exclusive." :goodvibes

I actually have used this on people who give me similar reactions. When I say "military hotel", people seem to assume boot camp conditions. Gotta love ignorance!

Actually, here's the funny thing about that woman: she is so insecure that she feels she must throw her money and status around as much as possible. its sad, really. Truly, the only reason people ever say things like that is to make themselves feel better. Did she know SOG is for military? How rude.

And, again...thank you for doing what you do.

How rude! She probably wouldn't think much of how we do Disney - we camp at FW. The kids love it and it is part of the whole Disney experience for us. OP, you do Disney your way and ignore the snobs. What does it matter what they think of your vacation?

Thanks for your service to our country!

That is the rudest thing I've heard in a long time. She may have the cash to stay at Poly or GF, but clearly, money does not equal class or grace. Making an acquaintance feel uncomfortable is simply classless.

Go and enjoy SOG!

As most of the OP's have said it doesn't matter if you stay at SOG or POP it is the time you spend with your family, whether it's watching the Castle Christmas lights being lit and Tinker Bell flying or seeing the look on your family's face the moment you round the corner and see the majesty of Cinderella's Castle and you get all tingly and maybe a tear in your eye.
We have stayed at WL, AK, CBR, CSR, 3 of the All Stars, POP, OKW, BWI, and probably 5 different off property sites and to be honest it didn't matter to us because we we're just happy to be in the most magical place in the world. I have been to Disney with my DD 28 times since 2000 and have cherished every moment and we always find something new that we haven't done before and just enjoy the time together.
That lady probably couldn't describe one time or anything in particular that she has done with her family because she is too wrapped up in where she was staying.
She needs to count her blessings that she has the freedom that your family provides for her so that she may "freely" go to WDW, because without you and your sacrifices she would have to stay at home and dress in grey, LOL!!

Sorry had to vent, hold your head up high and forget the ones who can't get past their own ignorance or self loathing and have a GREAT time and enjoy your much deserved R&R and know that the rest of us hold you in the greatest respect and gratitude that you have earned!!!
Have FUN!!!
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Only one that should be embarrassed is her. She must be very insecure.

The only right way to do Disney is to go and enjoy the magic and spend time with family and friends - where you stay doesn't matter.

Being curious I checked out the SOG website - WOW. Its a lovely resort. There is nothing wrong with the rooms and they are HUGE. That is a bonus. The resort grounds look very lovely and the interior areas are as nice as any of the Deluxes.

Who knows, with the way the economy and job market are going, she could be staying at an All Star Resort or Pop in the next few years. ;)

Actually, here's the funny thing about that woman: she is so insecure that she feels she must throw her money and status around as much as possible. its sad, really. Truly, the only reason people ever say things like that is to make themselves feel better. Did she know SOG is for military? How rude.

And, again...thank you for doing what you do.

I agree with this. Wealthy people who are secure and have class do not need to put down others. In fact, they have true compassion for others. She clearly was not comfortable in her own skin. If I ever became truly wealthy I would probably like to try concierge once or twice but then I'd stay somewhere cheaper and use the savings to send a poor family to Disney or, heck, feed them for a year. Nothing wrong with splurging but there is something wrong with putting down others.

I am grateful to you for protecting us! :thumbsup2

My family (military) has stayed at SOG for every trip we've made to Disney World except one year when we stayed at the Contemporary (when SOG was closed for renovations), it is a deluxe resort and shouldn't be looked down upon (that woman probably just wanted to make herself feel special but in the end she ended up foolish).

Anyway, my reason for saying that, is because no matter if you can afford to stay at the GF or Poly or anywhere else, sometimes you just prefer a different place. Even though a lot of people can afford the most expensive places, they may chose to use their money on different things or just enjoy other atmospheres.

Don't let what the lady said change your mind, there is no right or wrong way to "do disney".

Spending time having a blast in Disney World with loved ones IS "doing Disney right"!
I've stayed value, moderate and deluxe resorts and have loved them all. I'm a theme park junkie; there when the parks open until they kick me out at close! I'm looking for a roof above my head, a bed and a shower- period. Oh and free Disney transportation! I feel the Disney magic at each resort I stay at... and THAT is "doing Disney right"
My goal is to stay at every resort on property. And I probably won't ever stay at SoG because I wouldn't be able to get in. :sad2:
You go to Disney World and have a fabulous trip!

That woman is a snob. Disney "the right way" is vacation that enables you to have fun. Period.

Enjoy SOG and have a great time at the parks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter