How do you feel about child harness?

My DD is 4 and only learned to walk 6 months ago. She is very small and loves her new found freedom. She also doesn't speak yet. She doesn't appear to be special needs at all. We will be bringing the backpack monkey with tail leash for her to wear. I'd rather have her safely beside me and have ignorant people judge me then have her lost and unable to communicate.

so before I had my son I thought those child harnesses where the child wears a back pack and there is a "leash" attached were crazy. I use the word leash for lack of another word. anyway, we are going with the world with my 14 month old son who hates being in the stroller and is a runner, not a walker, he just runs all the time. what do you think about those things? I swore I would never use one but never thought my child would be so active

I used one years ago when my autistic son was very young. I mostly used it when we were at a park or at the beach where we could walk together at a slow pace without being shoulder to shoulder with others, he could feel some freedom and I feel some security that he could not bolt all of a sudden like he was prone to do. Disney is a whole other world...even during slow season there are not many places you are going to walk to, where and want to keep a toddler's pace. We are talking about a very little 14 month old toddler. People are not going to see him. He could literally get trampled by careless people. Use caution. Also, if you want to try it, practice before you go!! Get him used to it. If he balks at the confinement of a stroller, he will probably balk at the restriction of the harness. Believe me as someone who has used one, it is certainly not a judgement, but for safety and comfort, you may want to brainstorm some ways to try and keep him happy and content in a stroller.

I use one for our boy all the time LOL NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

Along with this straight jacket type booster chair that ties to regular chairs

I feel sorry for the child when I see them on one.

Why? I don't understand this statement. The child is not in pain, is able to walk on their own, and keeps them in your line of site without getting lost. So, please elaborate.

And I'd also love to know about the "other ways" a PP suggested that don't involve the tether, hand holding, or being in the stroller. Please clue these parents in on innovative products and technology that the rest of us are evidently unaware of.

:sad2:

so before I had my son I thought those child harnesses where the child wears a back pack and there is a "leash" attached were crazy. I use the word leash for lack of another word. anyway, we are going with the world with my 14 month old son who hates being in the stroller and is a runner, not a walker, he just runs all the time. what do you think about those things? I swore I would never use one but never thought my child would be so active
I swore I would never use one but I would have paid a fortune for one in France when my DD just turned 2. She almost bolted into traffic ... twice :scared:. That being said, I found WDW to be much safer than the streets of Lyon, France and never bought one when we got back to the US. I suppose you can bring one with you and see if you really need it.

I am amazed how civil this discussion been. Usually on the family board they get pretty heated. I've been called too fat and out of shape and that I needed to go to boot camp so I could keep up with my children and usually just a lazy parent more times than I care to remember because I harness my twins occassionaly.

OP, please do what is best for YOUR child. We have taken our boys 6 times since they were 18 months (they are now almost 3) and used a backpack harness to some extent. I also traveled with the boys long distances over the summer and used them at interstate rest areas. I have one son who is a runner and despite trying everything we can think of, he is still a runner although doing a bit better. He can also get his hand out of mine remarkably quickly. My other son is a better listener sometimes but when they act up, they always run opposite directions. Their safety comes first and foremost. I don't want my children lost at WDW, hit my a car on the interstate, or hit by a car in the parking lot. Until they understand that running away is not acceptable, I will use a harness when I or my DH deem it necessary. I haven't gotten any dirty looks that I know of and nobody has ever said anything but positive comments to me (except here on the Dis), not that I would care anyway.

I used to think the same way! "oh I would never do that to my children"....then my youngest was born and boy did my foot go in my mouth!

I actually think the harness with the backpack is a little better than the other types, it seems less offensive somehow.

I remember one time I was at the mall and I had my son in the backpack harness, I walk by another mom with a kid about the same age as my son. She gave us the dirtiest look (the how could they look) as she did this her own kid starting running half way across the mall. She gave us a sideways look and started running after him!

I thought that was kind of ironic :) lol

With DD9 and DS8, I never used one. In fact, I thought they were ridiculous, for 'lazy' parents and swore I would never use them. They were both fairly calm, quiet kids and always stayed right with me so I never had the need for one.

My 18 month old is a completely different child! He is a very independent child who loves to climb on everything! He does not like the stroller OR being held and will bold in a split second because he is easily distractable and doesn't understand to stay right with us yet. I have not used a harness with him yet, but I did pick one up last week. We will be in the world Nov 1st and I will feel much safer knowing that I have the harness if I feel it is necessary.

LOL some of these responses are just too funny.

When I was a child my parents used it on me, and I LOVED it, I knew that it meant fun things were going to happen, and I always asked for it. It was difficult for me to give it up, my mom tells me that they kinda had to lied to me, they told me they gave it away to a dog because her puppy needed it (of course they didn't it give it away to the dog!) but because I love animals that was the only thing that worked for me lol.

My family uses the harness on my nieces, and they love it too, so don't feel bad for them ;) they absolutely love the freedom, and hate not having it on especially at Disney where there are so many fun things to see.

I guess me and my nieces make good pets lmao.

I guess you need to do what's best for your family but ultimately if I had a "runner" I wouldn't take the "runner" until he was old enough to follow directions and not be a "runner" for their own safety. I think it's just so crowded and 14 months is still a very tiny person so even if they are on their leash they could get hurt by a bigger person who simply isn't looking down or paying attention. I don't think anyone would intentionally hurt a new walker but a runner could just easily trip someone up even on a leash.

I remember a family friend had two kids who were 'perfectly well behaved children' and then she had her third. Oh boy, was this one different. From a young age, he was a nut! He loved making trouble, and yes, loved to run off. She ended up having to buy the harness for him when they were in public places. And seeing the vast difference in behavior from her first two, it had NOTHING to do with her parenting. Some kids just have a 'running' issue, and parents do what they must to keep their runner safe. And I also know that if that was my kid, after watching her, I would have done the same. Give it a try before disney, and get an idea about how it may work for you in disney.

I guess you need to do what's best for your family but ultimately if I had a "runner" I wouldn't take the "runner" until he was old enough to follow directions and not be a "runner" for their own safety. I think it's just so crowded and 14 months is still a very tiny person so even if they are on their leash they could get hurt by a bigger person who simply isn't looking down or paying attention. I don't think anyone would intentionally hurt a new walker but a runner could just easily trip someone up even on a leash.

Fine and dandy if you only have one child. What happens to the multiple child family or the extended family that wants to plan a special celebration at WDW?? Should they all just stay home till the child is in school?? Completely impractical. And the sooner a child is exposed (safely) to the big bad world, the sooner he or she will start to learn how to safely exist in it.

Absolutely HATE them. Never used them and never will and hate seeing kids in them.

And it doesn't mean that children need to be "strapped" in strollers or even stay in strollers all the time, And it doesn't mean kids have to walk around holding their arm up all day or even holding hands all the time. There are other ways.

Such as? You're saying no harness, no stroller, no hands...enlighten me.

Never used them, didn't need them but then again I would never come to a public forum and ask strangers how to raise my child either.

So do what you think works for you.

Bottom line.. If you love your child .. put them on a leash.
You love your dog enough to do it....

I don't see a problem leashing a child.. safety first !! Plus I think the Monkey back packs are cute as hell !

My dog doesn't have the same comprehension I expect from my children.

This argument doesn't hold up in my book.

Also an astronaut floats away because they can't stop it - not because they don't listen to someone trying to give them safety instructions.

You got a kid that can't listen and is a "runner"? Go when the crowds are low, stay home, practice teaching them to listen to you and your safety instructions. Hold their hand (and no their arm doesn't need to be straight up in the air for an entire day). Maybe leave that child at home with a sitter. Perhaps everyone stays home until all can be trusted to listen. Yeah I had a kid that wondered and liked to look at anything that caught her eye....I almost always let her walk and kept my focus on her. Never lost her even once. Older DD whom was more independent and actually listen and followed rules I lost twice....when she was older. Little kids Ned to watched.....

How does one become a "runner"? By this I assume people mean darting off? Why does that EVER become an acceptable behavior even at home? Even my wanderer would only do it if allowed. If I didn't want her wandering I'd hold her hand her instruct her to stay close.

What will happen when these runners start school?

IMO----the child would learn to sit in a stroller and when you and DH decide to stop and rest then let child out for awhile as well of course on rides and to eat. he will learn what he is taught. and be safer

Used one with an 18 month old years ago, LOVED IT and so did he, as others have said, would you want to walk around all day with your arm held over your head? It let him explore safely and though him I saw things I had never seen before simply because they were on his level. It was an awesome trip for the 2 of us.

My dog doesn't have the same comprehension I expect from my children.

This argument doesn't hold up in my book.

Also an astronaut floats away because they can't stop it - not because they don't listen to someone trying to give them safety instructions.

You got a kid that can't listen and is a "runner"? Go when the crowds are low, stay home, practice teaching them to listen to you and your safety instructions. Hold their hand (and no their arm doesn't need to be straight up in the air for an entire day). Maybe leave that child at home with a sitter. Perhaps everyone stays home until all can be trusted to listen. Yeah I had a kid that wondered and liked to look at anything that caught her eye....I almost always let her walk and kept my focus on her. Never lost her even once. Older DD whom was more independent and actually listen and followed rules I lost twice....when she was older. Little kids Ned to watched.....

How does one become a "runner"? By this I assume people mean darting off? Why does that EVER become an acceptable behavior even at home? Even my wanderer would only do it if allowed. If I didn't want her wandering I'd hold her hand her instruct her to stay close.

What will happen when these runners start school?

I don't think it is a better idea to leave a child home when they could easily come along and be attached by a tether. Is it really that big a deal? I mean, it isn't like the tether is attached to a collar around the child's neck. You would honestly keep the entire family home from vacation instead of attach a cord between the parent's wrist and the child's backpack?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter