How do you explain to your kids, Mickey is in 2 places at once at Disney MGM Studios?

scarboroughmom said:
I never tried to pretend the characters were "real". We did Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny while they were little. I don't like too much "manufactured magic". I love WDW, but my kids don't have to think everything there is real to have fun. QUOTE]

Ditto. And my kids get into the characters anyway. My younger dd especially enjoys getting autographs and having her picture taken with the characters.

Disney actually plans very carefully so that you won't see two of the same character too close together, to avoid just that happening. Those crafty folks think of everything!

scarboroughmom said:
I never tried to pretend the characters were "real". We did Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny while they were little. I don't like too much "manufactured magic". I love WDW, but my kids don't have to think everything there is real to have fun. As they get older, and the TV and the movies are full of violence and sex, I want to make sure they are able to see them for what they are, pretend. It is magic to be together, away from the stress of everyday life, having fun as a family. Characters are fun, but they are make-believe. I prefer to have my kids think it's magic when one of their brothers shares something, or listens to a problem non-judgementally, or sticks up for them in a school yard fight.
I'm really sorry for you. I just hope you don't ruin the magic for anyone else in the parks by spouting your nonsense in public.

dsanner106 said:
On the backstage tour, we were told that they work VERY hard to make sure there are NEVER two mickeys in the same park at the same time. The appearances for pics and autographs last 20-40 minutes depending on the temperature and don't co-incide with times he is appearing elsewhere. When he is in a parade, they never have appearances during the parade.

Drew

That is not true. I can think of at least 2 examples where he does. 1) MK- he meets on Main Street and in Toontown (of course, he leaves Main Street for the parade). And 2) MGM- he meets at the Hat and on Mickey Ave. The time length also depends on inside characters.

ainmama2001 said:
I tell my DD that he runs from place to place to see her. But, she's four and doesn't know any better! It's the same type of thing with her meeting Belle on one trip and a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT looking Belle the next trip. She hasn't caught on to that yet, but I don't have a remedy for it either! :confused3

I'm wondering how to deal with that too. I went a little crazy and booked 3 Princess meals for our upcoming trip--CGF, CRT, and PSB. My 6 yr old niece still believes the Princess are real, so how do I explain it when they look different? :confused3

BroadwayGirl said:
I'm really sorry for you. I just hope you don't ruin the magic for anyone else in the parks by spouting your nonsense in public.

??? Are you kidding like the 'say it ain't so' or do you really think it's 'sad'? Seriously, there's just as much magic :wizard: whether you pretend the characters are real with your kids or not. And no one said anything about ruining it for others. It's not as if anyone said they wanted to make sure all of the kids knew.

rthib said:
One Chip
One Dale.

Chip has the dark nose (remeber it like a Chocalate Chip said a CM).

1) TWO Chips.
2) They are
. . . Chip, in Chip-n-Dale
. . . Chip, the Teacup in Beauty

When I took the KTTK tour, our guide told us about a time when she led a group and accidentally ran into Captain Hook on Main Street after just seeing him in Adventureland. A child asked, "how can he be here when he was just there?" And her answer was, "well, you're here now, and *you* were just in Adventureland too."

That was some quick thinking.

In general Disney does a good job of making sure that sort of thing doesn't happen too often.

Joanna71985 said:
That is not true. I can think of at least 2 examples where he does. 1) MK- he meets on Main Street and in Toontown (of course, he leaves Main Street for the parade). And 2) MGM- he meets at the Hat and on Mickey Ave. The time length also depends on inside characters.

But are they visible at the same time. I believe their schedule is such that they are not online at the exact same time. There might be minutes that over lap but not much.

blueroses said:
When I took the KTTK tour, our guide told us about a time when she led a group and accidentally ran into Captain Hook on Main Street after just seeing him in Adventureland. A child asked, "how can he be here when he was just there?" And her answer was, "well, you're here now, and *you* were just in Adventureland too."

That was some quick thinking.

In general Disney does a good job of making sure that sort of thing doesn't happen too often.

Actually that was what I was thinking. If your child was in one location and saw Mickey and now is in another location and saw Mickey, he moved just like they did.

Also young children are not going to be concerned about this. Life is much simplier to them. When they are old enough to question it, they know the facts about it anyway.

A friend of mine worked at Disney in the college program, she was an ice cream scooper at Scoops in MGM. I asked her about this. At that time she told me that generally they only allow one of each character to be out in a park at one time. Not sure if it is still done this way or not.

I was thinking about this last night & came up with this answer. When Mickey is taking pictures by the Sorcerer's hat, do you think Mickey dressed in the Sorcerer outfit takes a break? I know that sign says he is there from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM, but he must take some breaks during the day right?

I'm assuming that WDW has changed it's policy then? I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Disney ensured this wouldn't happen & that only one was out at any given time in each park?
SD :woohoo:

princess sparkle p said:
A friend of mine worked at Disney in the college program, she was an ice cream scooper at Scoops in MGM. I asked her about this. At that time she told me that generally they only allow one of each character to be out in a park at one time. Not sure if it is still done this way or not.

Nope. This is definitely not true.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life said:
I was thinking about this last night & came up with this answer. When Mickey is taking pictures by the Sorcerer's hat, do you think Mickey dressed in the Sorcerer outfit takes a break? I know that sign says he is there from 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM, but he must take some breaks during the day right?

Nope. He gets cheese every once in awhile, but only for a few minutes. He is there all day.

I say mice are FAST!!

Mickey could be one place one minute and somewhere else the next!

I usually will say that Mickey is a toon, so he can do anything. He was in two places at once in "The Prince and the Pauper", so he can be at multiple places in the parks too.

Don't the kids know it's a guy in the suit? If not, just tell them that they have a Mickey at each park so all the kids can see him. I don't think they will be devastated.

princess sparkle p said:

I did the CP too, and that's not what we were told. They're never in the same place (at least visibly) but they can be in the same park. For example, at the Judge's Tent, if you're "in the know" then you know there are multiple rooms with multiple Mickey's to keep traffic flowing. But the door to the other rooms are ALWAYS shut before they bring a family back to another room so no one ever sees more than one Mickey.

We were also given some examples of how to explain when kids ask how characters jump park to park, or sections of the park. . . Tink sprinkled him with pixie dust and he flew over, Mickey hopped in his lim-mouse-ine and drove over, etc. Even the simplest, "he knows a shortcut!" is enough to appease most kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter