• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you explain it to people?

this morning I ran into another mother at day care who just got back from an 8 day trip, their first, to WDW. They have 4 girls and the youngest is now 4. She LOVED it - completely got the magic, throught the service was great, etc. She can't wait to go back, if she can convince her DH. Before the trip, she would say "ah, we will probably go sometime..." Today she was raving about the character meals and how her 6 year old wished to be a princess at CRT. She gets it.

And other people don't get it at all, even after they have been to a park.

Here's what I say:

My wife and I are big Disney fans and going to WDW is something that we enjoy doing. It is a true escape from reality and we love it.

If that's not enough then too bad! I do not need to explain to people why I like doing the things that I do. I doing it, not them. Everyone must have something they enjoy doing and shouldn't have to explain why they like doing it.

You can't really explain it. You either feel the excitement of Disney World, or you don't. And some people just don't.

I just tell them that Disney is the only place I can go back to where I have had memories from all different stages of my life. So in a way going to Disney feels like going home to me.

Want to feel weird? Try being a 62 year old, divorced male that goes solo usually once a year.

No one can figure that out. Basically, I'm lazy...I don't want to put a lot of effort into finding entertainment. I like it all sitting in one place. Also I have been to all the places in the world that I wanted to go and a few that I didn't actually have on the top of my priority list. I have no desire to go anyplace else. Nothing is calling me.

For those of you that have been to Disneyland...I have been to New Orleans and the re-creation of New Orleans in Disneyland is far superior to the original when based on the number of people throwing up on your shoes. In other words everything I want to see or experience is right at my fingertips. It's quick, easy and fun. What more can anyone ask?

Seriously though...It is a place where I can feel like a kid again and not feel guilty about doing so. No one is saying "grow up" or act like an adult, either in word or thought. Everything is accompanied by music and they still hold the 3 oclock parade around 3 oclock. :rotfl:

I pick whatever is "their thing" and answer like this:

It's my boat.

It's my cabin.

It's my Country Club.

It's my jewelry.

It's my fishing.

It's my hunting.

Three words - that's it - just put it on their level and be done with it.

Liz

This is how I handle it as well. I have a friend whose husband gets together with his buddies to play video games every Saturday night. Yet they think it's silly that we go to WDW every few years. Some people hunt, watch football, fish, go to the beach, shop, go to the lake, etc. We go to Disneyworld.

We can truly say that we work everyday towards getting back to Disney. Any extra money, etc goes towards Disney.
For us almost every milestone in our family has been celebrated at Disney, from our engagement, honeymoon, son's 1st birthday, daughter's 1st time saying Mickey, to celebrating my son's recovery from GBS. All these years we have been going since 1993, sometimes twice a year and I can look at certain places in the parks and say, "remember when Jordan was picked to be in the Lion King and ran for the first time after being paralyzed" or "look there is the bench mom and dad sat on during the Christmas parade." I can go on and on. Disney World is a part of our family unit. It's like a pet, you know they are not people but you treat them like part of the family anyway. The spirit of Walt Disney is alive and I get it. Others may not, and that is sad. Disney world is heaven on earth for us. I am just blessed to have been a part of it while on earth. I will have memories to last a lifetime. Things that I could never get anywhere else, even on our cruises. It's just not the same as Disney our home away from home!:love:

I live a 2 hour drive south of WDW. As a child I had season passes all the way up through college (which was in Orlando). I've been well over 100 times. Still hasn't gotten old yet. Now I have a young family and we are just starting to get to the financial point where we could go multiple times a year.

People ask me all the time why I go so much. Know what I tell them? "I haven't seen it all yet." Because I haven't. Honestly I doubt I ever will. Most look at me confused. But those are the people who don't realize all that there IS at Disney. It's not just theme parks. There are so many other things to do and see there.

I say - let them live in the dark. Means less crowds for us. ;)

I just don't even discuss it with people anymore. If someone asks where I am going for vacation, I say Florida. Most still say "Again?'' and I simply say back to that "It's my vacation and that's where I like to go." They usually shut up after that.

Don't bother, they don't get it. Tell them you have a sick relative that you need to visit.:earsboy:

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law go to Mexico every March. They have been for years. Never an island or the states. Never Europe or a cruise. Mexico only. No one ever asks them, why they keep going back!
We just tell people we're going to Florida. Most don't even bother asking past that!

Just say I love Disney and Im a kid at heart!!:cool1: If I'm saving my money to do this, then they cant tell me nothing lol

I've never really understood why people can go on cruises to the Caribbean all the time, or to Mexico like a pp mentioned, or even to a beach house or cabin in the mountains and no one thinks twice that they go year after year. :confused3

Some of the people who say "Again?" are simply jealous and think they can't (or haven't done enough research to know they can) afford a Disney trip. They don't see all the behind the scenes scrimping and saving that we Disney fans do so we can continue to visit. They don't know about codes and discounts and how to work the system to get the best deals. They see rack rates, one day ticket prices, and think we must all be millionaires. I know that I spend as much or more on trips other than Disney than I do on my Disney trips.

The remainder are people who, for whatever reason, don't like Disney. I get that. I'm not a big Universal fan. I'm not fond of the movies their attractions are based on, I'm not a thrill ride junkie, and I just don't enjoy it. But I understand that there are some people who love it. Sometimes, people don't take the time to consider that not everyone likes the same things they do. Just because you like football doesn't mean I do. Just because you love seafood doesn't mean I do. So just because I love Disney doesn't mean you do. We even see a little bit of this on the boards when people compare restaurants or resorts - just because I like it doesn't mean you do.

I get "Again?" all the time because I live in the Orlando area and I spend most of my vacations at WDW. I feel fortunate that one of the top vacation destinations in the world is right on my doorstep. I don't have a long drive, or a trip to the airport - my transportation costs are practically nil. I like that I'm as familiar with WDW as I am my own home. I know my way around there so well I could probably drive it blindfolded (don't worry, I won't!;)) I enjoy my solo trips and they are a total escape from the real world. Yes, I do occasionally travel to other places every two or three years, but although I enjoy those trips they aren't as relaxing and fun as my trips to WDW.

I usually don't try to justify or explain my vacation choices. If someone says "Again?" I just say "Yes.".

I don't try to justify or bother explaining my reason for going to WDW "again" anymore. haters will be haters.

If they "get it" no explanation is necessary...

If they don't no explanation will do! :goodvibes

Fortunately, here at the DIS, we all seem to get it!

I just answer them with a question..."do you know if every vacation you take is going to be perfect?" Then I tell them that I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter