How do you cook your Corn on the Cob??

tubachick

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>Official DIS "good
When you are having a BBQ do you boil it or put it on the grill??

Just wondering.

TIA

We just recently started grilling our corn & really like it that way! :teeth: I've tried several different ways. We decided we didn't like it done in the husks because the corn took on a "husk-like" taste...besides it's too much work to peel it back & take out the silk then tie it up again.

Now we just husk the corn as usual & then put it right on the grill. I like the little grill marks it gets. We grill with the lid down & turn it 3 times...about 4 min on each side. DH says he doesn't like to grill longer than 12 or 13 minutes total.

DH still uses butter on his, but I've found that a sprinkle of lime juice on the corn & n othing else is really good once it's been grilled! ;)

piratesmate said:
We just recently started grilling our corn & really like it that way! :teeth: I've tried several different ways. We decided we didn't like it done in the husks because the corn took on a "husk-like" taste...besides it's too much work to peel it back & take out the silk then tie it up again.

Now we just husk the corn as usual & then put it right on the grill. I like the little grill marks it gets. We grill with the lid down & turn it 3 times...about 4 min on each side. DH says he doesn't like to grill longer than 12 or 13 minutes total.

DH still uses butter on his, but I've found that a sprinkle of lime juice on the corn & n othing else is really good once it's been grilled! ;)

We enjoy the husk free BBQ also. My parents like the Husk on BBQ-- DMom's theory is that its a "handle" to hold the corn ;)

And your DH is like me... I don't like to grill for more than about 20 mins!!!

We do both - it just really depends on what were in the mood for. If I boil, I use a teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of sugar in the water. My good friend taught me this trick and it makes it taste great. If grilling, we soak the corn w/ husks in water and then cook them on grill until dark brown. Both come out yummy!

I cook it in the microwave...husk and clean corn, wrap in 2 wet paper towels (doesn't have to be sopping but should be wet), nuke on high for 3 min...

it usually comes out perfect! smaller ears would probably take 2.5 min maybe...

we eat corn plain - no butter, salt or anything!

once we finally get the grill out (when the patio is done) then we'll probably grill it b/c I like grilled corn...but we'll probably wrap it in foil then put it on the grill...

Dizzy for Dsny said:
We do both - it just really depends on what were in the mood for. If I boil, I use a teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of sugar in the water. My good friend taught me this trick and it makes it taste great. If grilling, we soak the corn w/ husks in water and then cook them on grill until dark brown. Both come out yummy!

thanks for sharing! I've wanted to try it on the bbq as well but I love any corn on the cob. Actually we had it yesterday! I've just always boiled it but have to try something new.

This is not about cooking the corn on the cob - it's about "buttering" it for a large crowd.

My Grandmother had a very large family and we used to have very large get togethers. What she did was take a large jar - she used a very large clean mayonaise jar, filled it up 2/3 way with very hot water and put in sticks of butter. The butter melted on top of the water. When one would pick up an ear of corn, dip it all the way in with tongs and slowly pull it out. The melted butter will glaze the corn and stretch it further. Add more hot water and butter as needed.

It really only works for a bunch of people.

I hope I explained it where you can understand. The first time DH came to one of the family gatherings - he thought it was some kind of weird lemonade - good thing he didn't drink it.

I guess when you are trying to feed your family during the depression, you get creative.

Although she would kill me if she saw the food that I end up throwing away these days!

I would love to hear of ways people stretch food today!

We have a very unique way of doing corn on the cob. I have yet to meet anyone outside of my family who does it this way.

We husk (or de-husk) the corn....but save some of the tender inside husks to line the bottom of a big pot (I use my big stock pot) I probably end up with about 30 inside husks in the pot.

Then I put the clean corn on top of those and add about 2 inches of water. Then cover and steam for about 10-15 minutes (until the corn looks translucent)

Yummmm.....

In fact, I picked up corn for tonight's dinner. Mmmmmm...

We like to grill with the husks, for extra flavor I wrap the corn with large basil leaves, then cover back with the husks. Gives an excellant flavor!

kaybird said:
We like to grill with the husks, for extra flavor I wrap the corn with large basil leaves, then cover back with the husks. Gives an excellant flavor!

sounds yummy!!

My DH's family has always soaked the corn (in husk) for several hours before putting it on the grill. You then cook it on the grill until the outside starts to get black. I love corn on the cob this way. It just has an awesome flavor. This is the way most of the places in our area do it at fairs, etc. when they are selling it.

My DM always boiled it when I was growing up after taking the husks off. Somehow, it just seems to lose some of the taste when I eat it this way now.

While at a party the other day, someone told us to add a little garlic powder (or garlic salt for those that like to add salt) before eating. My DH loved this and for him to modify the way he eats corn after all these years says something. I liked it but it took too much away from the taste I enjoy.

We like to grill the corn with husks. I usually just peel back the husks and clean corn with brush to remove the silk. Then I put a herb-butter rub (I make my own) on corn and replace the husks, and then wrap with aluminum foil. We place the corn wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill for about 20 minutes (turning frequently). It is very tender and I love the herb flavor. If I do not have a lot of time or I have purchased corn at the grocery store without husks, I just butter and wrap with foil and place on the grill.

sweet corns are the best :thumbsup2

we usually boil the corns then de-husk it and spread a little butter on it ......mmmmm yum yum :goodvibes

I husk and rinse the corn. Place the ears in a 9x13 Pyrex dish alternating thick and thin ends. Cover with plastic wrap.

2 ears 4-6 minutes on high
4 ears 7-10 minutes on high
6 ears 9-12 minutes on high

Individual ears can be wrapped in plastic wrap and cooked about 3 minutes.

I look to see if the corn looks cooked, touch it to see if it gives a little and leave it wrapped for a few more minutes because it will continue to cook.

Be careful removing the plastic the steam is very hot.

I husk and rinse the corn. Place a stick of butter in my quiche corning ware dish and melt it in the micro. Roll the cobs in the butter then remove and place them in a large ziploc, set on a paper plate and seal 3/4 of the way. Cook on high 2 1/2-3 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like your corn. Carefully remove with tongs and roll again in the butter.

You need to keep butter in a butter bell so it is soft or let it sit out for a while to do this. But we always have a piece of bread with dinner when having corn. You slather butter on your slice of bread and then wrap it around your ear of corn and spin the corn to get it all covered ~ perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter