How do you choose a Disney resort?

Price first, then theme, favorite resorts, or one we haven't tried. Mostly price, though. We stay where we can afford to stay.

We stayed in the POLY in January. Loved it, and will stay there again next January. Everything about the place worked for us, so why mess with a good thing???:banana:

Epcot is my husband's and my favorite park, and I want to be within walking distance, so I'm considering the Beach Club. We had dinner there once and enjoyed the convenience so much! We decided that was our resort of choice because it's so easy to get to Epcot.

Then again, we loved the excitement and energy of the All-Stars, and we're going to be taking our 11-year old sometime in 2008, and it's a great place for kids.

So, I'm thinking of a split stay. Starting at the All-Stars for a few days and then moving to an Epcot park for the second half of the stay.

Our very first trip we decided on Pop because it was so cheap. After our stay there I found the DIS and discovered all of the FAQ threads so from then on out it's been theming. However price does play a major role. I would love to stay at Poly but I can't logically pay that for a hotel and feel good about it. I wish I could because I've come sooo close to booking but always back out.:mad:

Almost all of the Disney resorts appeal to me, so narrowing my choice down by the look of the resort does not help me much. First I will look at price, then I will look at the transportation times from the hotel to my 2 favorite parks, MK and Epcot. Then I look at the pool. How well themed is it, does it have a slide? Then I bang my head against the wall a few times when I realize there is not one resort that is close to my favorite parks, has a pool slide, and is cheap to boot. So then I start to negotiate with myself. Can I spend a little more, or do I really need to be on the monorail?

I am still having this battle with myself planning my next trip for this fall. When you find an easy way to pick, please let me know!:rolleyes1

Almost all of the Disney resorts appeal to me, so narrowing my choice down by the look of the resort does not help me much. First I will look at price, then I will look at the transportation times from the hotel to my 2 favorite parks, MK and Epcot. Then I look at the pool. How well themed is it, does it have a slide? Then I bang my head against the wall a few times when I realize there is not one resort that is close to my favorite parks, has a pool slide, and is cheap to boot. So then I start to negotiate with myself. Can I spend a little more, or do I really need to be on the monorail?

I am still having this battle with myself planning my next trip for this fall. When you find an easy way to pick, please let me know!:rolleyes1

Do you have a any darts and a way to blow up the map? ;)

We joined DVC 11 years ago....we had just paid off our student loans (back then, they only amounted to $200 a month) and before we got used to having the extra money in our pockets....we made the jump and never looked back. By no means were we made of money back then, but we've never regretted the decision to buy. We've been able to stay at some of the nicest resorts in Disney, resorts that we normally could not afford to stay in. Because we go about every 2 years, this membership has more than paid for itself. This membership cost us about 12k for 200 points and over the past 11 years, we gotten a lot of use from our points, let others use our points and we estimate that we've gotten the equivalent of 50k or more worth of lodging. There is no way we would normally be able to swing the up to $1200 per night some of the 2 bedroom condos rent for. As it is, a trip to Disney costs us about 4k (including airfare) and it is so nice not to have to come up with another 2-3k for lodging. If you can swing the rate....YC/BC is by far the best, with BW coming in a close second:cheer2:

I'm a moderate girl myself. The Deluxes are not worth the cost for my family. The size of the rooms at the Values seem a little small IMO, and DH does not like the theming. Plus we like how beautiful and peaceful the mods are, and the Values seem like they'd be chaotic. I like how the moderates have food courts, back at the resort I just want to grab a quick bite.

If we were to stay at a Value, it would be AsMu. If we were to stay at a Deluxe, it would be ... well any of them if we could afford it :rotfl:

Well we have been to Disney lots times as a kid, but never stayed on site. For me staying on the Monorail is just so "Disney" it really is magical for me:wizard: There is just something about it. We are lucky enough to be able to afford it. It does get pricey, and even people who can afford it wouldn't stay there because a room is just a place to stay and I understand that. For us its half the vacation and we spend a lot of time there.

When we stayed at CSR one time to pinch a few $$, we didn't realize how much we would miss the monorail, views, theme, just the whole experience of the Poly. Its worth every penny to us. No other place seems like we are on vacation.

We are trying the AKL because the girls are bugging me to death. Just 3 nights because we will be going to SeaWorld and DC those days! Then to the Poly for the start of our real vacation.

about.com has a questionnaire that will display the best resorts for you based on your answers. It's a great way to help you make a decision.

Generally we decide on a resort based on location (we like to be close to the parks), amenities and lastly price. In my real life, I'm the budget queen, when I go on vacation, I normally want to do all the things I normally would not do in real life. Since I eat frugally at home, I tend to go all out on vacations (not just WDW) (lobster every night and a cocktail). So I'm always at a Deluxe and 2 TS's a day. My kids love it because I allow them to buy fruity drinks in expensive glasses that I normally veto at home.

i stay where i want. We usualyl stay deluxe but also like Pop.
Our last 5 stays have bee
BWI
BC
GF
WL
POP
I like having the amentities of a deluxe and the bigger rooms. I like to ask my ds7 what he wants. He picked the WL and loved it. This time he picked the Poly or wants the WL again. We will see

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter