How do you begin each scrapbooking page?

pjlla

DIS Veteran
The more I read around here and over at "2peas" the more I think that I don't use a "normal" system for my scrapping. Maybe that is why I am so slow. I'll quickly outline what I do, but I would love to hear how you all work.

I am currently working on our WDW 2002 book (almost done!). Yesterday I started working on day 5 of the vacation. I began by printing all the photos of our DTD day (digital photos). I cropped them as I saw necessary and printed them all as 3 1/2 x 5. I would go back and reprint larger if I needed to.
Then I look at the photos and decide on a background papers (I do a two page layout at a time). As we spent a lot of time at Lego Center that day I choose a blue paper with some Legos in the corners.
Then I chose what accent colors I wanted, which was easy in this case.... yellow and red and a bit of black. Then I cropped and matted my photos and the DTD title I cut from a map saved from the vacation.
After the photos are ready I kind of mess around with the layout... what goes where. Where will the journaling go, which photo goes where. When I think I have everything where I want it I figure out where and how much space I have for the journaling.
Then after choosing a font and color, I print my journaling block and crop and mat it. Then I might let the entire thing sit for a day or so without being glued down, just to see if I want to change anything. Sometimes I add a few stickers or eyelets or other accent at the end if it seems to need something.

Sometimes this process can take me two hours or more!! Mostly I have trouble choosing accent colors and layout of actual photos. I try not to begin the next 2 page layout until the previous one is COMPLETELY finished and in the book. But there have been times when I have had to give up on a page and return to it much later (30 days or more). But I don't like to do that.

I've noticed in reading that some people get their papers chosen for several pages all at once, then crop the photos all at once, and then do the layouts all at once. Is that faster? I'm afraid I would lose track of what goes where!

Anyhow, thanks for any ideas or helpful hints out there!.......P

I'm not sure if my method will help you: I am as slow as you are! I get my photos together for the page and any embellishments I think might go with the photos and then sift through magazines for layout ideas. This can take up to an hour alone! When I get a layout I think will work with the photos then I hunt up some paper and put it together. Don't know if this helps or not. :D

Steph

Oh - you both make me feel so normal!!!!!

I do what both of you do - Sometimes pjlla's way - sometimes steph's way -

There is no way I could pick out paper for several pages at a time (unless I already had my pictures printed and cropped)

Just wanted to let you both know that I scrap the same way!

Karen

Add me to the same way list. All though lately I have been putting page kits together then sitting down with lots of pages together with their paper, journaling and embellishments. This seems to take me even longer I think but it's great for going to a crop with not everything.

Laura

pjlla,

I do basically what you do with a few differences. I print my photos first then cut them and then lay them out on the top of my table and look at them for a bit. I decide on the colors (which is usually quite fast) and then I play with my photos by putting them in different positions on the page (this is the longest process for me)

I think of a general way to place the photos on my page (sometimes this changes a few times) then I start!!!, I always do one page at a time (most of my layouts are 2 page spreads as well).
I decide which photos to matte and which ones not to and add any embellishments. The last two things I usually do is my title and my journaling.

How long this process takes depends on what I do with the page. If I need to do cutting (for titles) then it takes about 1.5 to 2 hours. Without any fancy work, a layout will generally take about 1 hour.

I think doing more than one layout at a time is just crazy and would be hard to keep track of which colors and which stuff goes with what photos???:upsidedow

I would like to add that I really enjoy spending time on scrapbooking. I enjoy it even if it takes 2 hours. My goal is not to get as many pages done in little time or get an album done as quick as possible. My goal is to enjoy myself, have fun and let the creativity keep flowing :thewave:

Sometimes I am really proud of a layout that I do and sometimes I just look at it and think "What the HECK were you thinking about"????? But I always have fun :)

I'm a similar scrapper... except I print as I go. My BIGGEST problem is deciding from the very beginning what paper is best. (I do 2 page spreads only, too).

We got back from WDW on April 4... by the end of the follownig week, I had 20 pages done (basically 9 2 page layouts and the first and last pages).

I was moving along just fine... then I decide I'm gonna scrap the Minnie photos. It was like SLAMMING on the brakes!! Those pictures have been sitting on the paper (which I'm not sure of) for over a week now. I don't know if this is the right paper for these pictures... LOL! And I have no idea how I want to lay them out. I know pretty much which accessories I want to use...

Okay... wait... lightbulb moment. I *think* the reason I'm having such a hard time is I wanted to use the Disney Jolees, BUT there is none (at least in my stash) with Minnie in her red and white polka dotted dress.

Wow... so glad you posted. NOW I know my problem with this layout. I was so intent on using those Jolees and then thought maybe I had to use my Minnie Sandylion stickers... but I don't... I'll just use some red and yellow vellum tags... stamp the month on one and the year on another and attach those with some fibers. Hmmm... stuck though on a title... and how to do that... LOL!!

Anyway... that's how my thought process works. It's best that I not just throw it down so I can move on to the next layout because if I don't like a layout, I'll skip over it really fast in the books and constantly think of how to re-do it until I do... LOL!!

So you're not alone.

I just read Timon's reply and I totally agree... for me, it's not about getting it done fast, but creating something that I will enjoy and later that my children will enjoy.

I do the same thing until I get it just right. Thank goodness I haven't felt that need that some scrappers feel to be "always caught up"--that idea would put so much pressure on me I probably would never scrap again! The way I look at it is that I
have the rest of my life to finish this--but I am still trying to find
extra hours in each day so I can do more because it's so much fun :) Have a great weekend!
Kim

I gather the pictures I am going to use for my layout and decide how to crop them (all straight edge, circles, ovals, some of each, etc). Then I crop and shuffle them around to figure out a layout (this only takes a couple of minutes). Then I usually realize I have too many pictures, so I decide if any can be tossed or if I have enough to make two layouts. Then I decide on colors to use and if I have any stickers to coordinate (which I usually do, LOL---I am sticker Queen right now). Then I decide on a border or title, accents, etc....I often get ideas from my binder CHOCK full of CM page ideas that I have either bought seasonally or have downloaded of the computer. Sometimes I get creative, like last night, and come up with one on my own. Then I mat some of the photos, not usually all of them, put photos down (making sure I leave room for title/borders), put borders or title down (sometimes I do this first), journal in my own writing (I rarely use the computer for this- just my taste) and add stickers or embellishments. Usually a two page layout takes about an hour, but I usually use about 11-12 pictures per layout. Not always.

Last night I was quite proud of myself because I had a TON of pictures of spring flowers in my yard and down at my parents. I have often wanted to do a mosaic page, so I did just that with all of the flowers. It turned out so cool. On the opposite page I had a picture of my dad on his new tractor mower, and two single stunning pictures of flora/fauna. For a title I used purple ABC letters saying "Glorious Spring Flowers" and used my swell titletopia. I used purple, green and the new yellow spring printed paper from CM. I cut two 1 1/4" strips of the lt. purple and then adhered a swell strip (about a 1/2") of the yellow patterned paper. Then I punched 4 green squares and putted a square sticker (from the spring medley pack) in the middle of them. Then I ran along the bottom of both pages, the nursery rhyme, "Mary, Mary quite contrary, how does your garden grow?" For each first letter of each stanza I used a Purple ABC letter; then I hand wrote the rest so it would fit. I really like the look of it! :D

I am a very slow scrapper. I used to take the photos with me to the scrap store and chose only what I needed for those photos. Even though there were many right choices it sometime took me forever. The combination of the paper and embellishments had to invoke the same feelings as the photos. My fellow scrappers still tease me. They will hold up a piece of paper and say. "how does this make you feel?" I am a bit better now but not much. I have collected a fairly extensive supply of card stock, so I don't have to head to the store to scrap. I am not a big s

Well it sounds like we are all in the norm here. Guess it's to each his own. I also like to take 2 hours per layout. I think it's fun deciding on which colors and embellishments I'll use and how. I know when I've felt rushed I'm usually not happy with my final outcome, so I just poke along and enjoy myself!

Well.... thanks for so many responses..... Just to let you all know, I wouldn't feel overly rushed, but I am just finishing our WDW 2002 album, then I have to do WDW 2004! And DH says we can't go back to WDW until both albums are done!!!:earseek: So I want to get hustling!....................P

I never know what my style will be. when I do decide I follow that style through the album.

I sometimes work on a white background and use accent colors, always using the same colors on the 2 pages.

I am working on an album now that tell about the loves of my life. My DH, My Children, My Grandchildren and the flowers and critters that visit the gardens.

I am using a white background. Each page has some of my art work. I am using chalk and watercolor pencils. I sketch a flower from my gardens. I then punch out a braided top border about an inch and a half in a flower print. I then make a frame using the same flower paper in differents shapes, squares, circles, hearts changing shapes with each page. I accent each frame with a solid color 1/4 of an inch on the outside and inside of the frame. I then punch out the name of the flower in the flower-print paper, add a few stickers, butterflies, ladybugs rabbits, birds whatever I feel goes. I use the same paper for the 2 page layout, then change to a different flower paper on the next 2 page layout.

I will be adding pictures of my family behind each frame.

I am also a slow scrapper. My main problem is that I come up with ideal and go to find what I need and can not find it. After going to several stores I have to modify what I wanted. By the time I get home I am tered of messing with it, so I wait till the next day to start. I have decided to only use the stuff I have to scrap my page. I hope I can stick to it.

I too have trouble wanting to make a particular page but not having the right supplies..... but we live at least 35 minutes from the nearest craft store! I keep LOTS of supplies on hand and I have learned to just use what I have or skip that page! Mostly I just try to use what I have. But it means that I keep LOTS on hand. DH wanted me to "vow" I would use up what I hand on hand before I bought more, and I am trying to do that, but I did stop by Michaels Friday for a few more of the "basics" (black paper, pastel paper, neutral paper).....................P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter