How do u deal with bad weather????

sbtrfly74

DIS Veteran
Leaving in 5 days... looking at the upcoming forecast for Orlando, it shows the 14th through the 17th scattered thunderstorms. So how do you deal with bad weather, any tips or just go with the flow? We'll be there until the 19th but no forecast for that far in advanced.... really just hope this doesn't ruin our vacation :sad1:

It'll only ruin your vacation if you let it.

We just throw on ponchos/rain jackets/rain suits, and go on about our business. The way I see it, I'd rather be getting rained on at WDW than sitting at home where it's sunny.

We do the same thing the other poster said. Plus, it's Orlando in summer...it rains pretty much every afternoon. Try not to get upset when it rains and just go with it. Maybe do a little "singing in the rain" and jump in a few puddles...after all, you're supposed to act like a kid at Disney!

I always buy the disposable $1.00 rain ponchos (Target camping section) and carry a bunch with me so we don't have to carry around a wet poncho. I think I have 10 in my suitcase now and I always buy more before we go. I will tell you some of our best days in WDW were bad weather. The crowds tend to be low so you get through things pretty quick and it gives us time to check out stuff we normally would not have time to. Make sure to bring extra shoes so they have time to dry and also if you are wearing Crocs make sure they are not worn out too much on the bottom. I made that mistake once and took a few falls. WDW can be a surprisingly slippery place in the rain. Just remember to have fun and enjoy your trip. I am sure it will be fine!

I have never gone to Disney without thunderstorms in the forecast and I have been carrying the same rain ponchs in their original bag back and forth to Disney for the past 6 years because we have never had to use them. Last year was the first time we got rained on(LOL - we left the ponchs in the room that day) so we just turned it into a game and tried to see how many puddles we could splash in. The kids loved it!

Thanks... I haven't really been to WDW in about 20 years. I remember it raining for an hour off and on and no big deal. Just feels like a real damper when planning the vacation of a lifetime and will be the last one for a while. Will keep an eye on the weather and try to keep the happy face on :goodvibes

It'll only ruin your vacation if you let it.

We just throw on ponchos/rain jackets/rain suits, and go on about our business. The way I see it, I'd rather be getting rained on at WDW than sitting at home where it's sunny.

I agree!

throw on your poncho and sandals/crocs and go for it! Granted, if there's lightning, head for the shops or indoor attractions, but Disney seems to have plenty of those.

.... and just hope the rain isn't the result of a hurricane! :lmao: But, I've ready posts on that subject also and many say the "best" place to be during a hurricane is at Disney World! :thumbsup2 Hope all your Disney days are sunny! :tink:

If it rains (or is scheduled to) for an entire day, I always go to EPCOT and spend most of the day in future world. You can easily go from pavilion to pavilion and spend an hour in each, particularly The Seas.

I go to Disney with a nylon poncho (more comfortable than plastic, and living here, you get a lot of use out of it ;)) a compact umbrella and a golf umbrella.

If the chance of rain is higher than 70 percent, I'll take the poncho and the golf umbrella.

If the chance of rain is between 40-70 percent, I'll just take the poncho.

If the chance of rain is less than 40 percent, I'll just take the compact umbrella. If it's really low, say 10-20%, I may not take anything at all, depending on the park. I think MK is a great rainy day park, because the buildings are so close together and you can walk through so many of them to get where you're going. I think Epcot and AK are the worst for staying dry because Epcot is so spread out (especially WS) and AK isn't laid out well for going from building to building.

I'll be there starting the 17th, and so far, it's forecasting rain every day. However, I'll take rain with temps in the low 80's over sun in the mid 90's any day!:thumbsup2

:confused3 When we go over summer we pray for rain. It cools everything down and when it is raining you can make a mad dash for those ultra busy rides. Nobody wants to ride in the rain but in reality it is actually more fun. I have a water proof case for my phone and a good hat. That is all I take. It is only water and when the sun comes out again everything will dry in a half hour like it never rained.

Not a biggie :) We have never been to Disney without rain. Like everyone says pack a poncho and go. When we were there last Ordlando had 14 inches of Rain in one week :( but we just kept on going there is always something you can do. Have fun, we will be there the 21 -28 (have our ponchos packed already).

I have yet have a single vacation to WDW without rain... :confused3 To be honest only one moment of rain truly sticks out as it came down with a vengeance one time on our last trip so we just ducked for cover for 5-10 minutes until it eased off and we went upon our way once more.

The rain is actually very refreshing when there in the hot months.

When the rain comes we just keep on going as if it was sunny; doesn't really change any of our plans.

I bring a poncho and remember to carry it with me on days that are supposed to rain. I grew up in south Florida and most days from May to about November, there was the "5:00" thunderstorm that lasted all of about 1 hour. Every park, except Animal Kingdom, has a lot of indoor activities if ther eis a prolonged storm (and DAK does have some indoor attractions, but not really enough, IMHO, to fill a rainy day).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter